Wrong Trans Fluid or not? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I always used Valvoline's red bottle, the "max life" dex/merc, pouring it both in the transmission and the power steering res. with my previous two toyotas and that worked fine.

Maybe I will consider upgrading to the real Toyota fluid for my Avalon... just to be sure.

Toyota Dexron IV then?

98 Avalon XLS @ 149k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverdog View Post
sounds like you have a "service manager" who's standing there looking like he's going to wet himself because he can't figure out what they do at his own dealership? sounds like you need to speak to his boss, or find another dealership. even call one long distance and ask someone what atf fluid they use on your year of car.

If Toyota had done their job we'd all be talking about somet5hing else right now.
#18 Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 AM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mustari View Post
If Toyota had done their job we'd all be talking about somet5hing else right now.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 363k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 303k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#19 Old 11-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaxon View Post
All DEXRON®-III licenses expired Jan 1 2007 and will not be renewed. That's why it's getting harder to find Dex III. Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in DEXRON®-III applications” or similar wording should be avoided. DEXRON®-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier DexIII specifications. Dex VI is the replacement.
This is the right answer. On my 99 Avalon, I replaced ATF with Walmart brand Supertech Dex 6. I did a complete replacement via cooler line flush. Took about 11or 12 qts IIRC. The Dex 6 made a huge improvement in shifting even though my old fluid was in very good shape as I did drain/fills on a regular basis. I would not put anything in your trans except genuine licensed Dex 6. Also, do a complete flush through the cooler hose (no commercial flushing machine) to get the other stuff out of there.

Last edited by artbuc; 11-28-2012 at 04:50 AM.
#20 Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Sir Loin of Beef

like art, i also drained and refilled my '99 with walmart supertech dex 6. unlike art, i simply drained the pan and the differential, then refilled. that was a year and a half ago. it shifts better, i have no regrets.

Last edited by Jack Deth; 11-28-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added year
#21 Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Official TN Member

If you do the coolant line flush, you'll realize how little you're getting out if you drain the pan or drop the pan and drain. To do the coolant line flush, you need 11-14 qts. And when the new fluid has completely flowed through the system, the color change is extremely abrupt and you will know you have completely flushed, i.e. cycled, the old fluid out.
#22 Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Glendale View Post
If you do the coolant line flush, you'll realize how little you're getting out if you drain the pan or drop the pan and drain. To do the coolant line flush, you need 11-14 qts. And when the new fluid has completely flowed through the system, the color change is extremely abrupt and you will know you have completely flushed, i.e. cycled, the old fluid out.
Yes, it is a quick transition. I estimated less than 1 qt. Don't forget to drain both ATF sumps (if your car has two) and add the same amount of fresh ATF before you begin the coolant line flush. I removed 2 qts, stopped the engine and added 2 fresh qts. I could have sped up the process by letting the sump run dry but I could not make myself do it even though I knew it would not be a problem to run the trans dry for a couple seconds. Doing a complete flush through the coolant line is so easy it is definitely my preferred way to go.
#23 Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior TN Member

Location: San Diego CA, Glen Cove NY,Fairford UK,Cedar Rapids, IA
Dexron III was renamed GM Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada). Mainly used in Allison machinery but still the genuine dex3.

It worked fine until I fixed it!
#24 Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbuc View Post
Yes, it is a quick transition. I estimated less than 1 qt. Don't forget to drain both ATF sumps (if your car has two) and add the same amount of fresh ATF before you begin the coolant line flush. I removed 2 qts, stopped the engine and added 2 fresh qts. I could have sped up the process by letting the sump run dry but I could not make myself do it even though I knew it would not be a problem to run the trans dry for a couple seconds. Doing a complete flush through the coolant line is so easy it is definitely my preferred way to go.

Let me get this straight. Are you flushing the trans by opening up the cooler line and allowing the trans to pump itself dry?
#25 Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Let me get this straight. Are you flushing the trans by opening up the cooler line and allowing the trans to pump itself dry?
No, I did not allow the sump to run dry. I did 2 qt intervals. But, you can not harm the trans by running it dry if you want to speed up the process. You could let the trans pump until you start to see bubbles. Ally the trans parts will be wet and adequately lubed for the 2-3 seconds it will,take you to turn off the car after you see the bubbles.
#26 Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
No, I did not allow the sump to run dry. I did 2 qt intervals. But, you can not harm the trans by running it dry if you want to speed up the process. You could let the trans pump until you start to see bubbles. Ally the trans parts will be wet and adequately lubed for the 2-3 seconds it will,take you to turn off the car after you see the bubbles.

I've never heard of anybody doing this before. Sounds a little scary. I'd need a helper to turn ther key as I don't move as fast as I used to.
#27 Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I've never heard of anybody doing this before. Sounds a little scary. I'd need a helper to turn ther key as I don't move as fast as I used to.
I run clear tubing to a receiving container right next to the drivers door so I can watch it fill as I sit behind the wheel and I can anticipate as I approach 2 qts. It would be the same if I pumped until I saw bubbles. Yeah, you don't want to be standing at the front of the car and have to run to turn it off.

Last edited by artbuc; 11-30-2012 at 10:14 AM.
#28 Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I run clear tubing to a receiving container right next to the drivers door so I can watch it fill as I sit behind the wheel and I can anticipate as I approach 2 qts. It would be the same if I pumped until I saw bubbles. Yeah, you don't want to be standing at the front of the car and have to run to turn it off.

How do you know which is the pressure line?
#29 Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
How do you know which is the pressure line?
Feel the lines to see which one is hotter - easy to tell the difference. I disconnected where the rubber line from the radiator cooler connects to the metal line going back to the trans. Very easy access. If you search, you will find many posts & pics n how to do this.
#30 Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Feel the lines to see which one is hotter - easy to tell the difference. I disconnected where the rubber line from the radiator cooler connects to the metal line going back to the trans. Very easy access. If you search, you will find many posts & pics n how to do this.

That's very interesting. I wonder if the dealer mechanics do this when nobody's looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)