96 Avalon transmission problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)

1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View stylenchanthu's Photo Gallery
96 Avalon transmission problem

I have a 96 Avalon and when the transmission shifts, the cars pulls to one side and then the other between the shift. It is an AT. It is most noticeable when it is shifting from 3rd to OD. I took it to a transmission shop and they said it does it because the control arm bushings are worn out and it will cost about $500 to fix. According to them, there is nothing in the transmission that will make the car do that. I have to say I'm skeptical about changing the bushing as i really dont believe them. To me, It feels like the power delivery to both the wheels is not equal as in between the shifting process, theres more power delivery to the right wheel first and then more power to the left wheel which is causing it. By now you must have figured out i dont know much about cars. can it really be some worn out bushings that make it do that? Other than that, everything shifts perfectly on time and everything. Can it really be the worn out control arm bushings that make it do that? help!
stylenchanthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View wonger's Photo Gallery
check tire pressure..
both front tires the same?
another u can do is have another shop look at it but dont say anything about the bushings
wonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

checked tire pressure, did an alignment, will try another place today...
Old 09-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

miles? anything done to the car maint. wise or anything else before this happen? anything that happened before this started? like certain driving/ road conditions?

never heard of this problem before.. since yours is an older avalon.. even tho its auto.. it has a separate diff oil not linked or same as transmission fluid.. might be a diff going bad or low on fluids ( tho that wouldnt case what you are having i tink)
Old 09-06-2007, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

has about 168k miles on it. had this problem for the last 30,000 miles but now its pretty bad. just started gradually. differential sounds like a possibility. but i dont know much about the differentials fwd cars. the check engine light is on but thats cos the o2 sensor isbad
Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
How does the car pull when you accelerate slowly, does the trans shift smoothly, how are the tires wearing? You might be experiencing torque steer (see link below).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steer

Doubt if the diff is causing the problem, they don’t have any clutches that can slip. Suggest you look at other factors such as brakes, CV joints, whwwl bearings and suspension. A mechanic should be able to check these items easily.
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

tranny mounts too
Old 09-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

tranny mounts look ok, not cracked or anything. torque steer maybe but it pulls only when the for that short insant when the gears are shifting. acelerate slow or hard, doesn't make a difference it works perfect except when its shifting gears.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

hmm might have to get it looked at .. at another shop and see if they say its the bushings sounds more like torque steer like toyomoho said

the problem should only happen anytime the car is stopped or any forward force is paused for a second or longer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)