ECt Button - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-05-2007, 09:40 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
ECt Button

can anybody tell me what the purpose is of the ECT button in my 1997 avalon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 PM
TN Post Wh*re

The ECT button raises the shift points of the trans allowing the engine to rev higher before shifting. It is something of a “performance” enhancement.
#3 Old 11-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Official TN Member

I would like to know too, honestly I don't think it does much of anything. If you floor it either way the acceleration feels the same. If you don't floor it then the shift is much later and doesn't feel smooth. If in ETC power it shifts at 4000 RPM I think that feels much slower than if it shifted at 4000 RPM in normal mode. I honestly think its a big gimmick.
#4 Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Sedan Life

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
the ECT (electronically controlled transmisson) adjusts the transmission shift points to shift at a higher RPM when in "power mode"

2003 CWP Lexus ES300 - MCV30 - 1MZ-FE
"I'm the dude, man."
#5 Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well, its not a very good perfomance feature; when i used it the shift did not feel good, it felt as if the car was lunging.
#6 Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Former Toyota/ASE Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ava View Post
Well, its not a very good perfomance feature; when i used it the shift did not feel good, it felt as if the car was lunging.
Well, it's not a very good performance car either, so it looks like it's a wash

-- Get him, boy....

Hello to my NSA pals reading this on Echelon
#7 Old 11-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Official TN Member

I guess the only thing I have noticed with it is that it is more responsive when you need to drop a gear if you're not flooring it. Either mode when floored my Avalon shifts at 5800 RPM probably, not even red line. And no it is definatley not a performance car at all.
#8 Old 11-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Napa Burgundy '98 Avy

the car behaves differently with it on, shifts at a lower throttle position, say 65% instead of 75% (not real numbers, just example). it also will keep the engine reving higher for longer, for instance if you floor it and let off the gas, the engine will linger at the higher RPM to provide the power instead of upshifting right away. while cruising it makes no difference, just during acceleration. Personally, i DO notice a difference with it on, the car is decently fast for what it is, but i havent used it in a while since gas prices shot back out of this world.

My best friend thought that was the traction control button and used to drive fast with it on in the rain to try and get it to turn on. well little did he know that his car didnt even have traction control on it!
#9 Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Official TN Member

I drove with it on today and I have noticed a little difference actually. With very little throttle pressure it'll still shift very late, it is much harder to keep RPMS under say 3000. So I do think it would affect gas mileage a little. It is much more responsive, it down shifts much better than normal mode. It is definatley more noticed when you are only going light on the pedal. If you have a lead foot like me, both modes will probably feel fairly similar.
#10 Old 11-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Posting via iPhone/iPad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gen1

I notice a heck of a difference. The first time I drove my car with it off after having it on for a while, I was like "oh, that's not good at all, my car feels sluggish for what its been doing" then found out the button was off. It makes a difference... drive with it off usually now with gas prices too. I've shown some people up with my girl, and they are amazed at the "luxury sedan with some power".

6 Speed? Yes, please.
When you want sports car handling, you buy a sports car.
#11 Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Seems like some of you might have left the Overdrive gear on, turning it off will improve performance slightly. I actually find at least on the 2004 model the transmission shifts very early shifting the moment it gets to 3000 rpm. If you floor it really hard you're not likely to notice a difference, if your gentle you should notice the difference.

1986 MX-73 Cressida 5M-GE 290,000+ kms - SOLD (1986-2013)
2004 GD-67 Impreza EJ25 240,000+ kms - SOLD (2011-2014)
2014 ZNA FR-S FA20 4000+ kms - Daily
#12 Old 11-10-2007, 03:22 PM
96 avalon 4 CAMS!

Even though the mid 90s avalons arent really performance cars i think it could be a performance tuners dream. it has a v6 not a 4 banger and there is a ton of room in the engine compartment and its easy for me to work on and i see alot of space where add-ons could fit. i also noticed it is a true four cam engine (one for intake one for exhuast on both sides). im not a tuner but im wondering if that could be an advantage over a DOHC if the cams were changed out for performance ones? also i noticed that a short ram intake should be very effective in the car becuase you can put a ram and it will go straight in with no bends which means it will have least possible restriction. there are other reasons i have but as far as the ECT goes i noticed a big time difference with it on even when flooring it (it will get to 6k rpms on and about 5.7k rpm normal) and yes the downshift is lovley.
#13 Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Napa Burgundy '98 Avy

USA

Jegan_V i dont know if you have seen gas prices lately, or know how a transmission works, but ALL cars will be noticeably faster with overdrive off. it changes the gear ratios closer to engine speed. overdrive is meant to improve gas mileage and have the engine rev lower, consequently providing less power in those cars that make power higher up in the power band. either way, with OD off your engine WILL rev higher that WILL in turn, make more power.

King, cams would make a difference in any car, i dont know exactly how much it would help, especially when comparing the cost and difficulty of doing a computer based mod and/or intake and exhaust. you would get more bang for a lot less money and work. if you want to do a ram intake, i suggest cold air intake, and if you remove the battery and drivers headlight, there is a great access to a good cold air spot that ends up behiend where the drivers fog light would be. i am thinking about fabbing an intake up that goes there exactly. so feel free to try it out. just watch out for big puddles.

sorry, i did read it wrong, but was mostly trying to state why most people leave it on.

Last edited by cexsiman; 11-10-2007 at 08:31 PM.
#14 Old 11-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cexsiman View Post
Jegan_V i dont know if you have seen gas prices lately, or know how a transmission works, but ALL cars will be noticeably faster with overdrive off. it changes the gear ratios closer to engine speed. overdrive is meant to improve gas mileage and have the engine rev lower, consequently providing less power in those cars that make power higher up in the power band. either way, with OD off your engine WILL rev higher that WILL in turn, make more power.
If you read my post carefully you would have noticed I said "Seems like some of you might have left the Overdrive gear on,turning it off will improve performance slightly."

1986 MX-73 Cressida 5M-GE 290,000+ kms - SOLD (1986-2013)
2004 GD-67 Impreza EJ25 240,000+ kms - SOLD (2011-2014)
2014 ZNA FR-S FA20 4000+ kms - Daily
#15 Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Posting via iPhone/iPad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I dont think the amount of power you would gain would be worth the gas. Way too much money lately going to my tank.

6 Speed? Yes, please.
When you want sports car handling, you buy a sports car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)