Toyota Nation Forum banner

Dashboard Lighting

21K views 71 replies 11 participants last post by  inveca 
#1 ·
I currently am planning to replace my dashboard lights(the green filtered ones) with red LEDs. I have already ordered the 194 bulbs for the main part of the instrument cluster, but I am wondering what size twist lock sockets are used in the AC/Heat modules. They are definitely smaller than the 74 bulbs that are listed as the only other bulb in the instrument panel.
Does anyone know what size/style of socket they use?

#2 · (Edited)
I researched for a while for that and I believe the guys said that 74 bulbs would fit. If my memory serves me correctly, it was 5 194's and 2 74s. I'm actually ordering them as I speak from V-leds, so I'll tell you if I messed up!

UPDATE: Couldn't get the red 74s...out of stock.

PS. Noticed you were in Arlington Heights, IL. I closeby in Addison Maybe we can start a little Avalon thing. Haha...most people hate me for fixing up my Avalon.

EDIT: This is a good list of the bulbs used in the Avalon

Low Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: 9006
High Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: 9005
Parking Light Bulb Size: 168
Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 1156
Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 1156
Tail Light Bulb Size: 1157
Stop Light Bulb Size: 1157
High Mount Stop Light Bulb Size: Assembly or 921
License Plate Light Bulb Size: 168
Back Up Light Bulb Size: 1156
Front Sidemarker Light Bulb Size: 194
Glove Box Light Bulb Size: 74
Dome Light Bulb Size: DE3175
Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: 194
Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: DE3021
Instrument-General Light Bulb Size: 194 or 74

#3 · (Edited)
I ended up just buying some of each of the 3 neo fitting sized LEDs, it turns out that the bulbs in the AC/Heat units are Neo4 bulbs, which are used with a 4mm LED. I ordered mine from superbrightleds.com, and they work pretty well, but I need to wire up a few more bulbs because the lightpipes don't work with the LED's narrow beam.

The main cluster(4 194s) looks pretty nice with it, but the camera washes it out a bit:

I haven't seen the need to swap out the 74 bulbs since the indicator lights aren't normally lit.

#9 · (Edited)
It's pretty decently documented in Jigg's cardomain, page 3. Well mine may be a little more bland, I'm slowly working my way into modding this car, and I'd much rather not bite off more than I can chew

Edit: actually, after looking again, it seems that he doesn't add how he got it to be switched

#11 · (Edited)
any chance of a wiring diagram with what wire that is??

I've had my Avalon for just a few months and have been on Jigg's CarDomain from day one getting inspiration for the stuff I've done (audio/video/lighting).

Edit: wow all of us talking are from northern illinois.

#14 ·
I've been looking all over the place for projector lights that could at least be modified a little to make it fit, but the only solution that I have found is getting just the project units and cutting up our headlight housings and custom fitting them in...I would do it, but having the projectors line up correctly and be aimed right would be hard.

#15 ·
It seems to be a learned skill. the write ups i've seen on it have seemed excruciatingly time consuming. If it was just one headlight on a car it would be fine but the fact that you have to make two identical ones that line up perfectly makes it seem so far out of reach.

#20 · (Edited)
I wonder how much it would be to pay to have a TN member do a retro fit for us. I have 35w 6000k HIDs now but I feel like a ricer who blinds people (even though I have never been flashed at).

$150 + projectors/shrouds + shipping sounds reasonable. And all I'm interested in are simple projectors, bi-xenon seems like kind of a hassle/waste. Just throw 50w HIDs in ur halogen hi-beams, you'll see for miles.

#21 ·
That's actually pretty expensive considering a projector/shroud set will cost you around 100 bucks for a good set. The bi-xenons are really only good if you have those bulbs that have high and low in one bulb.

Also, believe it or not, the 35 watt HIDs are usually better than the 50 watt. They are a standard and are usually better quality. The fact that they are 50 watt just means they are less efficient. No difference in light output.

#22 ·
I currently am planning to replace my dashboard lights(the green filtered ones) with red LEDs. I have already ordered the 194 bulbs for the main part of the instrument cluster, but I am wondering what size twist lock sockets are used in the AC/Heat modules. They are definitely smaller than the 74 bulbs that are listed as the only other bulb in the instrument panel.
Does anyone know what size/style of socket they use?
The bulbs for the HVAC are dealer item only. I blew one tried to find one every where. Dealer was the only one to carry them....

How hard is it to take the cluster out and replace the lights? Do you have a write up? Also what bulbs do you replace? Also are the stock light bulbs white? Or Green? b/c i know they shine green. So i was wondering if there was a green film back there?

Thanks for your help

#24 ·
Oh crap! I am right next to you in Addison. I just bought some LED bulbs and replaced the OEM bulbs. Jigg over there did a custom LED job, but that's a bit of work and requires putting in some power supplies.

The project can be done in an hour tops. If you ever need some help, let me know I could try to help since I am closeby.

#26 ·
Oh crap! I am right next to you in Addison. I just bought some LED bulbs and replaced the OEM bulbs. Jigg over there did a custom LED job, but that's a bit of work and requires putting in some power supplies.

The project can be done in an hour tops. If you ever need some help, let me know I could try to help since I am closeby.
What color is your gauge cluster now?

I would need some help as i never took my gauge cluster out.. I want it to be blue in color.. That looks sooooo nice..

If you want to gimme a hand that would be great. Let me know what i need to buy b/c i have no idea if the stock cluster has a film over it that makes shine green

Thanks

-Jonas

#25 ·
Yeah there is a write up for changing the cluster. I did mine from instructions from it.

You use these bulbs: WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb from this website.

You only need four and the hard part is removing the cluster, after that it's plug and play (no soldering, resistors, ect). I know there is a write up on it somewhere, if you can't find it I'll look.

#28 ·
Yeah there is a write up for changing the cluster. I did mine from instructions from it.

You use these bulbs: WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb from this website.

You only need four and the hard part is removing the cluster, after that it's plug and play (no soldering, resistors, ect). I know there is a write up on it somewhere, if you can't find it I'll look.
That is where i get all my LEDs from from superbrights....

How many leds do i need in the back of the cluster? What color did you do? Do you have a pic of your cluster with the LEDs? Also is there a film back there that makes it light up green?

If you could look for the write up that would be great.. Thanks

#30 · (Edited)
I can definitely help you. I usually buy from v-leds.com. I prefer their website/service. Always has been good and quick. You need 4 194 wedge bulbs (that's what it was on my car).

Here is a pic of my gauges.

EDIT: There is no film that makes it green. There are "condoms" on the bulbs to make them green.

#31 ·
I can definitely help you. I usually buy from v-leds.com. I prefer their website/service. Always has been good and quick. You need 4 194 wedge bulbs (that's what it was on my car).

Here is a pic of my gauges.

EDIT: There is no film that makes it green. There are "condoms" on the bulbs to make them green.

Yes you are right about the green "condom" i remeber now iwhen i got my HVAC bulb from the dealer. It had the green "condom" over it....

Now where it says P,R,N,D..... did you leave that green? Do you have a pic of your HVAC lighting? See i want blue, my 2002 Trans Am interior lighting is already red.. so i want something different :)

So for my '95 Avalon i need 4 194 bulbs.. and do you know how many for the HVAC?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.