98 ignition lock cylinder replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
98 ignition lock cylinder replacement

Hi,
My ignition decided that it would no longer accept any of my keys. From what I understand, it may a problem with the ignition lock cylinder. Does this seem right? My question has to do with what kind of hassle it is to replace on my own, especially if the car has an immobilizer (which I believe it does). I suspect I can't just buy a new lock cylinder and slip it in. Can anybody offer any guidance on this, or direct me to a thread that has already (i've searched extensively, but can't seem to find any information on the added difficulty of an immobilizer). Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2012, 06:20 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Thanked 1,005 Times in 893 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Before you go to the trouble of replacing things, are the keys in good condition?... not worn? If they're all worn to some degree, you might try a new key. A dealership can make a new key given the VIN. I did that a while back for my Avy. Cost wasn't too bad; around $10.

Sorry, I can't answer your questions regarding the immobilizer.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 367k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 309k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#3 Old 02-11-2012, 06:40 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
One of the keys is very worn, but my other master key has not been used at all in the last 5 years, and I don't think it was used very much before then either. I would love for that to be the problem, but based on just looking at the keys, it seems a little doubtful. Thanks for the advice though!
#4 Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Official TN Member

Try some powdered graphite before springing for a new cylinder replacement. Worth a shot for $2.
#5 Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well, we pulled the ignition switch off the back and decided that I could just use that workaround (screwdriver to start, key in ignition, praying the key doesn't move and lock the steering wheel while I'm driving) until I could get it in and have the cylinder fixed. While we were testing ways to get the key to not move, the key/ignition cylinder decided that it would work again and turn past ACC. Before, it wouldn't even turn all the way to ACC. Removing the switch shouldn't have had any effect on the workings of the cylinder (and the cylinder was still 'stuck' for awhile after we had taken everything apart). I'm not sure what happened, but once it was working, we put a little graphite in just to make sure that it stays lubed and hopefully it won't be a problem anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)