Alarm going crazy. Disable horn? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Alarm going crazy. Disable horn?

I let my parents use the car yesterday and now I have a problem with the alarm. It never went off before but now it has a mind of its own. When I open it, even if the doors are unlocked, it goes off. I just popped the trunk with keyless device, didn't touch the car, I did it from a distance, and even that made it go off. Why would popping the trunk with the remote device make it go off?

Any suggestions? And where is the horn fuse? Will that take away all the sound of the alarm if I remove it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Official TN Member

They may have used the pass door key lock and now it's sticking. (electricly) See if that door locks AND unlocks all doors with key.
If one way works, and the other way doesn't, it's the key switch on the lock cyl.
Just unplug it in the neutral posiition.
Try the drivers door the same way to test.

Bin wrenchin' on the Yota's since '84
30th anniversary 2014
2000 Tundra SR5 4.7 Ex Cab
2010 Camry LE 2.5
Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech1984 For This Useful Post:
pet sounds (03-19-2012)
#3 Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech1984 View Post
They may have used the pass door key lock and now it's sticking. (electricly) See if that door locks AND unlocks all doors with key.
If one way works, and the other way doesn't, it's the key switch on the lock cyl.
Just unplug it in the neutral posiition.
Try the drivers door the same way to test.
Thanks. I locked all the doors and put the key in the passenger door. It unlocked all doors. But the driver side doesn't. When I put the key in there it only unlocks the drivers side front door.

When I shut the door and leave it unlocked, after about 30 seconds it beeps, or sets. If I walk up and touch the car, even with doors unlocked, the alarm will go off. But if I press unlock first on the keyless remote, the alarm won't go off. But the doors are already unlocked.. Basically, I cant touch the car without pressing unlock the remote first, even if it is already unlocked.

How do I unplug it in the neutral position"?
#4 Old 03-19-2012, 02:37 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
edit: actually I don't know if the driver side lock will unlock all because you have to do it twice. I can't keep having this horn go off everytime I do it though. I can't keep testing it because every time I touch the damn thing the alarm sounds and Ive been doing it all day. I have close neighbors. I need to stop the noise now. How do I turn off the horn? Will that stop the noise?

Last edited by pet sounds; 03-19-2012 at 02:43 PM.
#5 Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet sounds View Post
How do I turn off the horn? Will that stop the noise?
If you're talking about the standard horn, there's a connector on it that you can unplug. It's right behind the radiator. If the alarm system has its own horn, I'd guess it's unplugged just as easily.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 363k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 303k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
The Following User Says Thank You to BMR For This Useful Post:
pet sounds (03-19-2012)
#6 Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Ok, here are some pics. I can get the normal horn off by pulling out the relay. But that doesn't stop the crazy alarm sound.

I first assumed the horn was this:

So I disconnected it. But the horn still worked. I had to take the relay to stop the horn. Isn't that a horn? Looks like one to me. lol. But disconnecting it did nothing. Also some water came out of the plug harness and wrap thing when I unplugged it. I wonder if water could have gotten into the electrical. It was put through an automatic car wash yesterday.

My second question is this:

It's at the bottom front of the car on the radiator as you can see. It's black and plastic. Is that a horn? I want to unplug it but make sure first.
#7 Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Official TN Member

Yes, just disconnect the security horn. (i think) it's all on it's own on the pass side inner fender under the hood. Towards the firewall.
Basically, what I was saying earlier is if you can see all doors lock and unlock using the pass side key cylinder (you mentioned only unlocking) then that door has a good key switch.
Drivers door, as long as it will lock all doors with key (all doors!!), and then cycled twice to unlock, (all doors) then that key switch is ok.

Both front doors have a key switch that piggy backs the lock cylinders. It's just clipped on.
When it's removed, you see a slot that you can turn right, left, and in the middle. (neutral position)

If all is well in the door switching department, then I would move my attn to the trunk lock and see what's going on there. Even the hood latch has a switch on it.

30th anniversary 2014
2010 Camry LE 2.5
Cheers!

Last edited by Tech1984; 03-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.
pet sounds (03-19-2012)
#8 Old 03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Official TN Member

That's an ambient air temp sensor botom of radiator.
what's the year of your AVY
Take a pic of your remote

30th anniversary 2014
2010 Camry LE 2.5
Cheers!

Last edited by Tech1984; 03-19-2012 at 06:01 PM.
#9 Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
thanks guys. man, i just found more horns. one in passenger side where you said. that one in front on the radiator. and then there is one shaped like a bullhorn on the drivers side, similar to where the one was on the passengers side. except shaped like a bullhorn. that is where all the sound was coming from, this bullhorn one on the driver side.

I cut the wires to it and pulled it out. This is what it is:

Is this aftermarket?

I also have another security light in my car that isn't mentioned in the manual. It's on the lower left next to the traction control button. The red light here:

Is that aftermarket? Did it come with my car? The only security light my manual mentions is the one on the dash, which always flashes. But this one was a steady red all the time since I bought the car, but has been flashing ever since this problem started.

I have a 99 avalon xls, here is my remote:

btw, that key lock test worked. I could lock and unlock all doors with the key from either door. thanks for all your help. I'm wondering if the problem is an aftermarket system and not the factory system or lock problem. the alarm is still going off right now but at least the noise is gone ever since I took out that bullhorn. the red light by the traction control is still flashing though.

Last edited by pet sounds; 03-19-2012 at 06:26 PM.
#10 Old 03-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Official TN Member

OH GAWD!! You have a aftermarket system wired into your factory. I can only help as far as oem theft deterant.
The rest, well I would just start ripping out wires that weren't factory. But that's just me. I recommend someone trained in electrical.

30th anniversary 2014
2010 Camry LE 2.5
Cheers!
pet sounds (03-19-2012)
#11 Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech1984 View Post
OH GAWD!! You have a aftermarket system wired into your factory. I can only help as far as oem theft deterant.
The rest, well I would just start ripping out wires that weren't factory. But that's just me. I recommend someone trained in electrical.
thanks man. I'm glad its confirmed to be aftermarket. well im not glad, lol, but at least I know what it is. I think im gonna have a local mechanic try to take it out, or should I go to the dealer? and will removing it be expensive?
#12 Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM
New TN User

The issue you are most likely experiencing is caused by the factory or aftermarket alarm not being disarmed. When an aftermarket alarm is installed over an existing factory alarm, there is a factory arm and a factory disarm wire. This sends the signal to disarm the factory alarm when the aftermarket alarm is disarmed (these wires also send the unlock pulse to the doors).

Working with alarms is a P.I.T.A. If you are not familiar with alarms, this may be a bit more than you wish to do. I would removing the brain of the aftermarket alarm since it seems as though you are using the factory alarm. If the alarm continues to go off (even though you cannot hear it due to the disconnected horn), you may still end up with a dead battery at some point. This is especially true if it is flashing your hazard lights, etc.

I had a TDS alarm (dealer installed option) that was in my car causing all sorts of annoyances, most notably the parking lights flashing and the engine disabled whenever I had to remove the negative battery terminal to work on/install stuff. I removed that system completely when I installed my viper alarm.

Edit: That LED and that siren look like they belong to a DEI alarm. If so, I can probably answer any questions you may have should you decide to tackle this yourself.

Last edited by Blu08Taco; 03-19-2012 at 07:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blu08Taco For This Useful Post:
pet sounds (03-19-2012), Tech1984 (03-19-2012)
#13 Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu08Taco View Post
The issue you are most likely experiencing is caused by the factory or aftermarket alarm not being disarmed. When an aftermarket alarm is installed over an existing factory alarm, there is a factory arm and a factory disarm wire. This sends the signal to disarm the factory alarm when the aftermarket alarm is disarmed (these wires also send the unlock pulse to the doors).

Working with alarms is a P.I.T.A. If you are not familiar with alarms, this may be a bit more than you wish to do. I would removing the brain of the aftermarket alarm since it seems as though you are using the factory alarm. If the alarm continues to go off (even though you cannot hear it due to the disconnected horn), you may still end up with a dead battery at some point. This is especially true if it is flashing your hazard lights, etc.

I had a TDS alarm (dealer installed option) that was in my car causing all sorts of annoyances, most notably the parking lights flashing and the engine disabled whenever I had to remove the negative battery terminal to work on/install stuff. I removed that system completely when I installed my viper alarm.

Edit: That LED and that siren look like they belong to a DEI alarm. If so, I can probably answer any questions you may have should you decide to tackle this yourself.

Thanks. Yes, the horn I pulled out says DEI on it. I searched the number and this is the horn:

http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/dei-514t.html

I just cut the wires and pulled it out. Only option it seemed. The wires seem to lead back to the dash where that led is. LED looks like this.

That's a different car, but the same LED light. Before this problem, that light was always solid red all night when the car was off, now its blinking and I have all these problems.

Should I just rip out brain box of the aftermarket alarm? Could that make my factory alarm stop working, or mess something else up? And how do I find the box or know what it looks like? thanks again. i may just take it to a car audio/alarm place that installs this type of stuff if it is too much of a hassle.
#14 Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet sounds View Post
Thanks. Yes, the horn I pulled out says DEI on it. I searched the number and this is the horn:

http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/dei-514t.html

I just cut the wires and pulled it out. Only option it seemed. The wires seem to lead back to the dash where that led is. LED looks like this.

That's a different car, but the same LED light. Before this problem, that light was always solid red all night when the car was off, now its blinking and I have all these problems.

Should I just rip out brain box of the aftermarket alarm? Could that make my factory alarm stop working, or mess something else up? And how do I find the box or know what it looks like? thanks again. i may just take it to a car audio/alarm place that installs this type of stuff if it is too much of a hassle.
The LED will lead you to the brain of the alarm. You could simply remove the brain, but if the alarm is wired into your ignition then you may have some issues. At this point I would recommend taking it to someone to have them remove it completely. A DEI installer/dealer in my area was going to charge me $70 to remove the old and install the new alarm, so hopefully that gives you an idea on pricing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blu08Taco For This Useful Post:
pet sounds (03-20-2012)
#15 Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot.

Ok, I think may have found out the problem. My mom pressed the valet button for the alarm. she thought it was the trunk latch. (I knew it was their fault!) I didnt even know I had a valet switch or even knew what one was. I did some searching and have come across many instructions on how to reset it. I put the key in and held the button down. The alarm no longer goes off now. Though that led aftermarket light still flashes. Which I think it did before. Actually it was a steady red light before. Do you know how put DEI alarms on valet mode? Because valet mode is supposed to be solid red. Which is what I want. Or maybe I don't want it. I don't know. lol. All I know is I pushed this button while the key is in the ignition and the lights no longer flash/alarm doesnt go off. Am I ok now since it no longer goes off?

edit: ok, I got the steady red light back, like it was before all this happened. think I'm good to go? or should I still have it removed? that alarm led won't drain the battery or hurt anything will it? no harm in keeping it in there still? i mean it wont work because i took out the bullhorn, but I don't really see the sense of having someone pull out of the brain if it's no longer a problem.

Last edited by pet sounds; 03-20-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)