'97 Avalon Climate/ A/C Control - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)

1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Oldgazer's Photo Gallery
'97 Avalon Climate/ A/C Control

Bought a '97 for my grand daughter. Car runs fine and every thing works except the air conditioning. Funny thing is when the Climate Controls are set to Defrost the A/C compressor runs like is should, and the A/C button lights up.

However, when the C/C is in "Normal" mode and I press the A/C button the button lights up and the compressor will run until I release the button. I can hear a soft "click" when I press the button, but the only way I can get the A/C to run like is should is to wedge a tooth pick between the button and the bezel. This ain't good....

I've checked the obvious stuff including topping off the refrigerant. I've done TONS of A/C work including repair, recharge, evacuations, and R-12 to R-134 conversions, so I know how A/C works. What I don't know is if this is a bad switch or a is ther some other sensor involved.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cliff
'91 Yamaha Venture Royale
'92 Silverado 4x4
Safety is no accident.
If I can't fix it, it ain't broke....
Oldgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View adu1982's Photo Gallery
i would say just the switch. Mine does it to , you just have to push a bit for it too stick on 2 of the ac settings. I am expecting it that in time it will completely stop sticking so I will search a junkyard, since mine has 250k hopefully anything lower might work better
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Gameroom cash: $909653
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View BMR's Photo Gallery
^+1. The AC switch in my Camry is getting a little balky; won't stay depressed consistently on the first push. I often have to push it 4 or 5 times to get it to stay engaged.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Found a switch assembly on evilBay. Installed it today and it works worse than the original.

First off, the A/C switch does not click at all, and it does not look like the switch in the original. I opened both units, and neither one has been hacked up or "repaired."

Second, pressing the A/C switch appears to do nothing. The compressor clutch does not engage and the A/C on light does not energize.

What is really strange is pressing the Recirc/Vent switch turns the A/C on, but when you release the switch the A/C shuts off.

I'm sending the replacement assembly back (I'm out of pocket for the shipping, and i suspect a scam...) and we will just live with it......
'92 Silverado 4x4
Safety is no accident.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $101615
View fourwheeler's Photo Gallery
Try getting an estimate for a factory replacement switch from Gary Smith. He gives 30% off to TN members.

Gary Smith-Parts Manager
garys@toyotaofnewnan.com
www.ToyotaofNewnan.com
678-854-9601
fourwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Got some good news...

The seller made it right. He refunded my money and does not want me to send the part back. Now I have a core to experiment on.....
'92 Silverado 4x4
Safety is no accident.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View RC57's Photo Gallery
My 97 XLS is also having trouble with the climate control. The AUTO button won't latch when depressed. All the other buttons work properly, only the Auto button is glitchey. If I push it and hold the light will come on and the climate control will select the appropriate vents and fan speed. When the Auto button is released, most of the time the button light goes out and the vents and fan don't automatically shift. Sometimes the Auto button stays down, only to release on it's own after a few minutes.

Is there a way to take the controller apart and get the switch to operate properly?

-RC
RC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View chbd1's Photo Gallery
I'm trying to charge my A/C on my 98 Avalon where are the low side/ high side
valves it looks like i found one of them passager side its saids L on the cap where
is the other one H side ? thank you very much oh I'm new here by the way

Last edited by chbd1; 05-10-2012 at 01:26 AM.
chbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View skynet1988's Photo Gallery
I had this problem as well. I fixed it by taking the controller apart and spraying deoxit contact cleaner on the switch contacts and temperature knob. Over time, dirt, dust and moisture plays havoc on the switch contacts. You can get this stuff locally at Fry's, Guitar Center or tiny cans at Radio Shack.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAIG-Deo...59-i1134929.gc

Mine works great now and controls are silky smooth!
skynet1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View RC57's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skynet1988 View Post
I had this problem as well. I fixed it by taking the controller apart and spraying deoxit contact cleaner on the switch contacts and temperature knob. Over time, dirt, dust and moisture plays havoc on the switch contacts.

Mine works great now and controls are silky smooth!
I have the same problem. It's gotten to where it will stay put only on full moon during high tide. I'm getting tired of having to hit the button every sixty seconds to get the climate control to respond properly.

Any instructions available for disassembly of the controller? I was able to take mine apart to the point where I was releasing plastic plastic tabs so I could get things apart, but I still didn't get far enough in to see the contacts.
RC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)