Toyota Nation Forum banner

What did you do to your Avalon lately?

149K views 584 replies 85 participants last post by  B5SnowDog 
#1 · (Edited)
First project a week ago, I washed, clay barred, and attempted to remove all of the wax from the various rubber trims and seals, plus what was caked into every recessed surface on the car. After that I buffed with a clearcoat compound, followed by a machine applied polish, followed by a machine applied swirl remover, and finally hand waxed...whew! The car looks great compared to the condition it was in when purchased.
I followed the exterior with a quickie interior scrubbing, a thorough cleaning needs to happen but it will have to wait until more important projects are done. When I go at it later, I will be removing the front and rear seats so I can fully clean them along with the carpets.

Next project yesterday, was replacing the drivers side CV axle, not too bad of a job. While the car was in the garage, I replaced the brake pads and rotors on both the front and rear. Checked the calipers, they look good for now, if an issue arises, I will replace them. While apart I cleaned and lubed the slider pins.
With the car still in the garage yesterday, I was going to replace all of the cooling system hoses, but found I was missing a couple of heater hoses, so I drained the system and replaced the hoses I had and could easily access and filled with new coolant.
My manual arrived in the mail too late in the day to do much more, but now I know what I have to do to replace the remainder of the hoses, part of that is to acquire a intake gasket set so I can replace the hose that is under the upper intake manifold.
I also replaced the PCV valve and grommet.

Next up will be finishing off the cooling system, replace all four struts, and change out all under hood fluids.

See less See more
#550 ·
Ditto, if you can, post some pics....?
Dont know how to comment just yet on forum so I dont know if I'm leaving this post in correct place. But I changed my throttle position sensor. Today will be replacing hood shox stands. New tps didn't fix problem. Car still shifts from 1st to 2nd gear rough and bad gas mileage. Done research and I'm hoping it is a bad shift solenoid. Waiting on parts for egr modulator valve and o2 sensor. Will keep yall posted. I have a 97 Avalon xls

#5 ·
Not a bad idea. Done.

Reactions: Bryan Namelast
#7 ·
This was the last couple of nights project. I picked up these 1999 Avalon Platinum Edition Enkei wheels from a forum member, just happened to be located in IA also.
I had to rework the edges pretty substantially on three of the wheels, bead blasted them, epoxy primed, then base coat/clear coated them. I used a late model Ford Metallic Silver. I am so-so on the outcome, I should have spent more time but after all the car is 16 years old. I still need to complete the center caps, should have them done by the end of the weekend.

Before:

After:

Reactions: Shawnwilkins94
#8 · (Edited)
This is one project I did that I almost forgot about. The retractable antenna had a kink approx. 8-10" from fully retracted, it was stuck in this position.
I ordered a replacement mast from ebay, received it and went to work. The replacement had approx. 8" too much nylon cord (for lack of a better term) cut it to match the original as close as possible and installed it. I did this repair before I had my service manual, probably would have been easier after the manual.
I took pictures through the disassembly but failed to take pictures on the reassembly. :facepalm:
I ended up taking the assembly completely apart, it was caked with old dirty grease. The antenna housing is made for water to drain through it and exit the bottom of the car through a plastic tube. In doing this, it gets a lot of dirt in it. I removed everything, cleaned it thoroughly, and repacked with new white grease.
I hand wound the new lead into the housing, at times taking three to four hands to hold things together.
Once reinstalled and connected, cycle your radio on and off, the antenna has a load sensor to determine when it is fully extended and retracted.

Access to the antenna:

Antenna disassembly:

Reactions: brizzyx
#11 · (Edited)
Today's project was replacing all four struts, and all associated hardware. Used a loaner strut spring compressor from O'reilly auto Parts, makes the spring r&r more of a challenge vs. a wall or bench mount compressor. The ride should be much improved, I could very easily compress the (what appeared to be original) front struts with no effort.
I vacuum pumped the old power steering fluid from the reservoir and refilled with new. I will likely do at least one probably two more drain and fills.
I drained the transmission, removed the filter. I am leaving it drip for the night, by time I removed the old gasket from the pan I didn't feel like getting back under the car. Tomorrow I will replace the filter, reinstall the pan, and fill with fluid.
I had Tire Rack drop ship a set of General Altimax HP's in 215/60/15 to a local tire shop. They are a Tire Rack authorized installer, have used them for years, great service. They mounted them to my Avalon Enkei wheels. Scheduled a alignment with them for later next week to make sure everything is tracking like it should.
On tap for tomorrow, finish the trans filter and fluid change and replace all four brake flex lines and flush the brake system. I sprayed all bleeders and flex line connections with a penetrate spray in hopes an easy dis-assembly and bleeding. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old filter:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

New filter, pan gasket:
[/IMG]

Trans with no filter:
[/IMG]

Trans with new filter:
[/IMG]

#12 ·
Last week I finally got around to polishing my headlights. I used the Meguiar's PlastX headlight kit and it took only around 30 minutes including removing the headlights(Masking would've taken more time). Hopefully it lasts a while.

#13 · (Edited)
Last week I finally got around to polishing my headlights. I used the Meguiar's PlastX headlight kit and it took only around 30 minutes including removing the headlights(Masking would've taken more time). Hopefully it lasts a while.[/QUOTE ]

Quite a difference, should improve night time visibility a lot.
Looks like your license plate cover needs it next. :lol:

#14 · (Edited)
Today's Avalon DIY's:
Completed the transmission filter, pan gasket, and fluid change. Changed the engine oil and filter, replaced the brake flex lines at all four corners, flushed the brake fluid, scrubbed the rear seats and carpet since the seat was out for the strut install, installed my new tires and new to me wheels.
Took the car for a test drive, it rides considerably stiffer than before, not excessive but definitely stiffer. The car now sits at least an inch higher front and rear than before the strut replacement, has me wanting a set of lowering springs.
I should be pretty much done with the majority of the mechanical work, I still have the remainder of the cooling system hoses to replace once I acquire them, the alignment will be this Thursday. I need to finish the center caps for the wheels, considering a light window tint, and I need to remove the front seats to thoroughly clean them and the front carpet. :chug:

[/IMG]

#15 ·
9T6AvalonXLS - What brand of struts did you put in? I know KYBs ride a bit harsh when new. But they break in nicely after a month or three. A lot of them do that, from what I hear.

#17 · (Edited)
Avalon cup holder replacement

One of the only things I hate about my '95 Avalon are the factory cup holders that pop out of the center armrest. One was broken when I got the car and the other broke recently. Even when they worked they didn't work correctly.

I used 2 boat/poker table cup holders. These are 3" wide across the bottom and 3" tall. I stuck a piece of Velcro on the bottom, and one around the outside of the cup to hold it to the side. This way I can remove the cups if needed and retract it back in the arm rest. I tried using larger ones but they do not fit well and the car would have to be modified.

The end result turned out well after I painted the inside edge around the holders black which gave it a more clean look.

#18 ·
My Avalon

so far with my 97 avalon that ive had for about year so for i sanded down pulled all the dents out and repainted the car. I took out the stock radio and put in a aftermarket pioneer unit with two 10 inch alpine subs in the trunk. i took the face plate where the radio is and painted that and the grill black. In the middle air vent i put blue led lights, and blue leds under the front seats that shine towards the back with a switch panel in the center console. then red door lights and a red dome light. Finall im going to install two led blue light bar fog lights on the front bumper with a switch next to the steering wheel.

#19 · (Edited)
Sunday I did the second drain and fill on my transmission and power steering. I drained the diff. side of the trans along with the pan, couldn't see any difference in the fluid, all appeared to be the same color. Did a pretty through cleaning of the dash/center console also, I still need to remove the front seats to clean the carpet and the seats while they are out.
So far I have put about 600 miles on the General Altimax HPs, no complaints yet. This thing is great to drive down the highway, I had a 180 mi.+- round trip for work today, all highway, half of that was two lane twisty's...I enjoyed it and pulled 26.5 mpg.

#20 ·
Finally got around to removing the front seats. Scrubbed the carpet under and along the sides of the seats, scrubbed all sides of the seats also. Sides of the console covered by the seats was funky, got it cleaned up also and while I was at it, I removed the console plastic wood trim around the shifter and used some plastic polish on it, much, much better. :clap:

Next up is removing the upper and lower intakes and replacing all of the heater and cooling system hoses, and thermostat. While the intake is off I am replacing the plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets. That should keep me busy this Friday night and Saturday, as long as Rock Auto comes through this week.

#21 ·
Tomorrow I am going to a local parts recycler and taking the passenger kick panel to see if it's a match with a center column shell from an 02 Avalon, both tan. If so I will buy a tan leather steering wheel and air bag from a Gen 2 Avalon. Mine is falling apart and I like the tan color better than the dark oakish color. I will post pics when I get this done.

This is what it'll look like.

#24 ·
I believe so, most Toyota and Lexus have the same connectors. If not, I will swap them.

On Thursday I removed the seats and carpet and power washed the carpet and mats. Friday I cleaned the front seats while the carpet was drying out in the sun. I wiped down the floor with 409, gave a nice lemon scent.

:ugh3:

#23 · (Edited)
I added a pink pony to my Avalon.

Oh, and I also rerouted my main power cables to the trunk, redid all of my rear power distribution (12 ckt dist block, using 8, bus bars, relays, etc.) Am running optical audio to DSPs for my triamped sound system.. But you know, pictures on that later ;)

#26 · (Edited)
Today I got back to the remainder of the heating and cooling hose replacement. A few weeks ago I started to replace all hoses thinking I had most of them, within a few minutes I realized I was far from having what I needed. This week I ordered the remainder from Rock Auto, had everything by Friday.
All of the heating/cooling system is done including the 1" hose under the lower intake, the throttle body coolant hoses, and the thermostat and gasket.
While into it, I replaced the plug wires, the plugs looked really good so I decided to wait on their replacement. I replaced all of the small and medium sized vacuum hoses, the fuel return line along with the fuel filter. :chug:

#27 · (Edited)
2 weeks ago I started building my fiberglass subwoofer box for the trunk(my first fiberglass project). I've only got it about 1/3 done so far, but hopefully it turns out well.

(Yeah, I'm a bit behind the "what did you do today" thing, but I lose my sense of time on the road)

#28 ·
Cool, I can't wait to see your progress and finished product, chunkywolf. The idea of fiberglassing a new box for my sub came to mind, but I'm too inexperienced to do so. Two weeks ago I was ready to bite the bullet and build a new sub-box, but i had too many issues with my template which made be back-out like a wuss. Ultimately, if the need arises for the spare tire it turns a 5 minute trunk disassembly into a 45 minute+ disassembly.

#29 ·
Pulled my wheels off and threw out the 1/32 tires that I have been running on. Going to be sending off the rims to be repaired since the last 2 sets of tires I had leaked air, and they could use some polishing care.

#30 · (Edited)
These were taken last night after a once over before my daughter left this morning for northern Minnesota, approx. 460mi. one way. I received the new centers for my wheels on Wednesday, just in time! Wheels are 99 Platinum Edition Avalon that I refinished.
I have faith in the car, I have put a fair amount of money in it the last couple of months so it could be trusted out on the road, I think it will do me good.

#32 ·
Repaired the rack and pinion, new oil change, transmission flush, power steering flush, replaced valve gasket, repaired dent on front fender, new corner lights....that's about it.