Transmission Problem 97 Avalon - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)

1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View GarWil99's Photo Gallery
Transmission Problem 97 Avalon

Hello everyone. I'm new to ToyotaNation, and would like your help. About to pull my hair out with this problem. We own a 97 Avalon....the best car we've ever owned until now. Never had the first minutes problem with this car until now. About a month ago the "check engine" light came on and I had it read. P0773 - Shift Solenoid E - Electrical. So, I called my Toyota mechanic who referred me to a local transmission shop which I took it to. They ran diagnostics and did what they called a soft overhaul of the transmission, including replacing the solenoids and re-doing anything inside that appeared to be worn - at the price of $1600 bucks. By the way, it shifted flawlessly before and during all this, and still does!! Well, I thought after I got it out that it was fixed for sure. The light came on again a few days after....same code, so I took it back. They said they are gathering information by being members of a forum/website etc., themselves, reset the code and said drive it and bring it back if it happens again. OK, it happened again just yesterday, same code. So, I'm at a loss! Don't know what to do other than to keep taking it back to them since the trans rebuild is under warranty, but this is getting aggravating. Any light shed on this from some of you guys who know alot more than I do about these things would be appreciated. Thanks to all!
GarWil99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
TN's ExercisePhysiologist

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View Bunthy's Photo Gallery
well I dunno how to help but I can say that you could post in teh camry gen 3 forum. There are more people their that are knowledgable about the 1mz-fe. but don't cross post, just start a thread about problems with the code.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View badsmoke's Photo Gallery
Talking

My check engine light would have been on for 16 months/ 16,000 miles-I removed the bulb-for code P0773, trans. solenoid. See Haynes manual or other reference on removing the bulb, takes 10 minutes.I have travelled all over the SE without problems during this time. I think this solenoid is related to the Power setting on transmission, the button on center dash that lets engine run higher RPM's before shifting when more power is desired.I have never had occasion to use the Power setting since MPG is affected and I have no desire to race the car. I have an OBDII code reader ($99.00 at WalMart)and check occasionally for other trouble codes.
Don't worry, be happy, keep driving.
badsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View deekay140's Photo Gallery
there are 4 solenoids in trans, 2 shift, 1 shift "E" and SL... my guess is they haven't replaced the correct one yet. It is very confusing because the dealer calls them solenoids 1.2.3.4. the one you need controls lockup, so its also costing you some extra coin for gas.

I can get you the correct toyota part number of the solenoid you need on monday. then you can refer it to this shop.

let me know.
deekay140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View foompla's Photo Gallery
toyota solenoids are fucked up with how theyre labeled. ever source cited calls them something else.

as far as i can tell solenoid e is for the torque converter clutch. if i remember correctly, you can short te1 to tc in dlc3 to engage it.

Last edited by foompla; 09-16-2005 at 07:43 PM.
foompla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View kentk1's Photo Gallery
I have a 97 Corolla doing the same exact thing. CEL on and pulled code P0773 code. Took to the dealer, they could not duplicate the issue as it started for them after I towed in to them. Took to transmission shop, ended up replacing all three solenoids, etc. Ran for one day then would not start again....then Replaced the computer since it was spewing codes(oh, and btw, had to replace the solenoids again as the computer fried them) and ran fine....again.....for 3 days...took back to trans shop..pulled P0773 code again....I took it out on the freeway to bring up to temperature in order to duplicate the problem and BOOM, CEL came on again and it exibits the same problems as before..had to tow back to trans shop..can anyone help???? What else is in the circuit that could be bad?
thanks,
Kent

Last edited by kentk1; 10-21-2006 at 07:43 PM.
kentk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarWil99
Hello everyone. I'm new to ToyotaNation, and would like your help. About to pull my hair out with this problem. We own a 97 Avalon....the best car we've ever owned until now. Never had the first minutes problem with this car until now. About a month ago the "check engine" light came on and I had it read. P0773 - Shift Solenoid E - Electrical. So, I called my Toyota mechanic who referred me to a local transmission shop which I took it to. They ran diagnostics and did what they called a soft overhaul of the transmission, including replacing the solenoids and re-doing anything inside that appeared to be worn - at the price of $1600 bucks. By the way, it shifted flawlessly before and during all this, and still does!! Well, I thought after I got it out that it was fixed for sure. The light came on again a few days after....same code, so I took it back. They said they are gathering information by being members of a forum/website etc., themselves, reset the code and said drive it and bring it back if it happens again. OK, it happened again just yesterday, same code. So, I'm at a loss! Don't know what to do other than to keep taking it back to them since the trans rebuild is under warranty, but this is getting aggravating. Any light shed on this from some of you guys who know alot more than I do about these things would be appreciated. Thanks to all!
GarWil99-Did you ever resolve the problem? If so, what was the solution?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
The manual states this code is related to a problem with Shift Solenoid Valve SL (solenoid E). From what I can figure out this eventually controls lock-up of the torque converter. The ECM is supposed to set the code if this solenoid has a resistance of 8 ohms or less when energized or 100 ohms or more when not energized. Or it could be a bad electrical connection/wiring causing a high ohm reading or bad ECM.

Being far from an expert on automatics, I still wonder if the manual states the trouble code refers specifically to this solenoid (whatever it does), why can’t the dealer test it and the wiring, or just replace the part. Is this one of those, the code does not tell the whole story issues.
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

I think we are zeroing in on my specific problem. Last week the car exhibited the problem again after running for 30 minutes on the freeway. I called my mechanic and he came out with his laptop and we captured the state of the problem. The car was in 'fuel cut off' for some reason and we were pulling a P0773 code from the transmission. At this point, the engine was running but would not accelerate due to the 'fuel cut off' state. We touched the wire harness to the tranmission and all of a sudden, the engine was running fantastic, so we feel that there is a short in the wiring harness to the transmission. Its at the shop....again...to examine and test the wiring.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

P0773 Code

Well, just an fyi...turns out that replacing the wiring component inside the tranmission as well as outside to the computer solved the issue.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View axle1320's Photo Gallery
I had posted some time ago about my issues with this shift solenoid E code - P0773 on my 1998 Avalon. Had a local shop replace the shift solenoid, CEL came on the next day. When I took it back to the shop he disconnected and cleaned all the electrical connections to the transmission - I think he said there were four of them and one of them had some oil around it. It has been ten days now and no CEL. So maybe cleaning the connections ought to be the first step when this code shows up.
Chuck
axle1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 1st Generation (1995-1999)