Sir Loin of Beef
Join Date: Nov 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
i bought a DE3021 bulb from the sylvania selection at autozone. DB is right, it doesn't fit. but since i was in it for 5 bucks i made it fit. heres how:
1) pop off the lens
2) on the passenger side of the bulb holder there is a little metal spring tab that holds it into the body. push it towards the drivers side and swing the holder down.
3) the wires connect to the holder thru a plug. pull the plug to free up the bulb holder assy.
4) it is easy to see that the DE3021 almost fits, but its too short and a little fat. notice that the clip farthest from the plug, the one attached to the little mirror, is the one to modify. slide that whole contact towards the plug and remove it from the plastic part.
5) use long nose pliers. bend the clip up 90° to grab the bulb point by the sides. then bend what was the tab that clicked into the holder 90° to make a "lid" for the little box you just made.
6) reinstall the contact into the plastic piece.
7) stick one of the bulbs points into the little box you made, swing the other end into its contact. bend it a little if its too tight.
8) put everything back the way it came out. if it doesn't work, check the 7.5A fuse in the big fuse box under the hood.
seems like a lot of work for a little bulb, but it only takes 5 or 10 minutes. note that you can't bend the metal contacts a bunch of times, they will fatigue and break. try to get it on the first go. cheers!