Toyota Nation Forum banner

New Battery: Need Re-Timing / Re-Learning Instructions

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Kingdom934 
#1 · (Edited)
Forgive me if this has been posted recently, but I couldn't find it upon a search. I have an 01 Avalon. Obviously I've been through a fair number of battery replacements. This time, (last week) upon startup and drive. Its like a tank. I thought a couple of drive cycles on the highway would do it.. nope.

When you first start it up, the RPM's hover around 1500... until you put in drive. When you on the highway, the engine begins to stutter around 40-60. It gives your the impression its about to shut off. But so far, it never has.

If I let it warm up for a minimum of 20 minutes... then it drives fine for a few short trips. Then next thing you know... its back again.

Supposedly there's these instructions where you get the car up to 60 mph, then let it coast down to zero. I do have the available land (industrial park on weekend) to run these odd cycles.. I just dont' have the full instructions.

Any help?

Thanks.

*Edit
I just found this old page...
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/6...4697-battery-disconnect-computer-relearn.html

Hopefully this helps, especially the last post at the bottom.

But I still wouldn't mind help from someone in the know.

See less See more
#2 ·
"When you first start it up, the RPM's hover around 1500... until you put in drive. When you on the highway, the engine begins to stutter around 40-60"

Couple of questions.
Will it idle normal when at operating temp?
Check engine light on?
Engine error codes?

#3 ·
I've come to figure out is if the car needs to readjust the stock base line since the ECU has learn to compensate for a dirty throttle body or intake leak, I'd check for crack hoses and a dirty throttle body if it happens after the ECU was cleared due to a battery replacement.

Had a friends ES300 that would idle really low during idle and wouldn't idle at all after a battery replacement. After cleaning the throttle body, replaced a few vacuum hoses, a vacuum switching module and replaced the intake hose (huge hidden crack), it ran perfect after the battery replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.