OBDII code P0174 on 01 Avalon XL - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-06-2008, 12:44 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
OBDII code P0174 on 01 Avalon XL

Hi everyone,
I have a check engine light code 0174, system too lean (bank 2), on my 2001 Avalon XL with 110K miles. The car seems to run fine. Advanced Auto Parts where I had my OBDII code read suggested that I put Sea Foam in my gas tank as it could be caused by bad gasoline. Does anyone has any suggestion on how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I have read many postings on TN about P0171 which is the same problem but for bank 1. Many people have recommended cleaning the MAF connector and replacing the Oxygen sensor. Are there more than one MAF connector and O2 sensor on the Avalon? How do I know which one is for bank 1 or bank 2? I appreciate anyone's recommendation on this problem.
#3 Old 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Official TN Member

There is only one mass air flow on that car. i have the same year, similar problem. My fuel trim was rich on bank 2. attempting to clean the sensor was a waste of time. very fragile, you could break the leads off and have to get a new one any way. autozone had a fairly cheap rebuild unit that fixed all of my issues. i was experiencing studdering and stalling upon approach to a red light. toyotas get a lot of oil blow-back in that sensor for some reason. Since it is lean, you may have an injector static closed. running lean can do some serious damage. try to fix it as soon as possible and don't dog the car.
#4 Old 01-11-2008, 05:45 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Eurobob, thanks for the helpful information. The people at Advanced auto parts suggested that I use Sea Foam in my gas tank and replace the air filter but I don't trust their recommendation because the filter I have is still fairly new, only around 5K mile. I am not familiar with Sea Foam. Anyway, I will check out the price of the MAF sensor at Autozone and pick one up. Thanks again.
#5 Old 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Official TN Member

I have never heard of sea foam either. I think if you had bad gas, your knock sensor would more than likely come on. I know many people with toyota 3.0l that have had gunked up MAF. Make them clear the code after you install the sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 2nd Generation (2000-2004)