Which is Bank 1 and Bank 2? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-25-2008, 03:57 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Which is Bank 1 and Bank 2?

My OBD2 shows a P1135 malfunction, which is A/F sensor, bank 1, sensor1.
I have a Haynes repair manual for my '01 Avalon, but I have not been able to determine which bank is which. By looking in the manual, it looks as if bank 1 is at the front of the car, but I was told it is towards the firewall.

I was hoping it would be a simple matter to replace the sensor, but if it's on the back of the motor I'm going to have to take it in to the dealer and pay the big bucks, which is going to hurt.

Also, why does the VSC light come on too?

My first post here, so hello to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 PM
New TN User

2nd Generation Bank locations

VSC- I don't know about that one...

Bank 1 is technically at the front of the car, but that's only Sensor 1. Sensor 2 is on the firewall side branch of the front pipe.
I'm actually running this code on my 2000 Avy myself....so this is good info for me to look up anyways. It will be interesting to see how difficult this is to get. Interesting tip in one of the manual shots- twist the wire 3 1/2 times before installing so the wire won't be twisted after the O2Sensor is screwed in...I would have never thought of that.

Last edited by preacherzson; 06-25-2008 at 07:21 PM.
#3 Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
According to the guy at the Toyota parts desk, bank 2 is right behind the radiator, and my Haynes manual hints that's bank 1

I can see the sensor sticking out of the manifold back by the firewall, but getting to it is a different story. Then there is one near the cat, which is called the "downstream" sensor.

The whole thing about removing the seat really put me off the whole thing, but when I was checking for the connection under there, I couldn't see anything but the connections for the power seat, seat heater, and the DC/AC power converter. It must be under the carpet.

Thank you very much for your reply, it was much faster than I expected!

Oh, BTW, the sensor cost $207.00. That seems a bit excessive to me, but then, WTF do I know.

Last edited by Dave H; 06-26-2008 at 07:18 AM.
#4 Old 06-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Official TN Member

they assume a rear wheel drive platform where the motor is turned 90 degrees with the pulleys in front. the right side in that instance is usually considered bank 2. bank 1 is in the front. clean the mass airflow sensor, or replace it. I had no luck with cleaning it. the vsc light will ALWAYS come on with a check engine light. The computer controls the VSC and it assumes if there is a problem somewhere, it will shut it off in order to make the car run good enough. The VSC controls the brake and throttle under slipping conditions. I think they don;t have a program in the ecu for when something is not working and it takes the ecu out of the equation. I had a fuel trim rich condition with the same bank you are talking about, replaced plugs, swapped coil packs to see if it moved to the other bank, and finally, the light when out, but the car ran like shit. check the mass air flow first.
#5 Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
So, I found this thread;

P0135. Camry 2000 V6 XLE. Help, please.

It fairly well answers my question.

Thanks for your responses!
#6 Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherzson View Post
VSC- I don't know about that one...

Bank 1 is technically at the front of the car, but that's only Sensor 1. Sensor 2 is on the firewall side branch of the front pipe.
I'm actually running this code on my 2000 Avy myself....so this is good info for me to look up anyways. It will be interesting to see how difficult this is to get. Interesting tip in one of the manual shots- twist the wire 3 1/2 times before installing so the wire won't be twisted after the O2Sensor is screwed in...I would have never thought of that.
Would these diagrams be the same for a 2003 Toyota Solara 2.4 liter I4 2az-fe engine? I know the engines are different, but the A/F sensors and O2 sensor are located in the same places and I need to figure out which one is the Bank 1, Sensor 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
#7 Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 PM
New TN User

Bank Locations

Where did you get such detailed diagrams? I have Toyota's manual for for my 97 Corolla and there were no diagrams like the ones you posted.. Actually the Haines did a better job of showing where the sensors were, and it was pretty poor..

thanks

Mitch
#8 Old 07-22-2009, 03:55 PM
New TN User

Paid for the online manual for a year at the Autozone website
#9 Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 PM
New TN User

I'll definitely keep that in mind when I need detailed info!

thanks

Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 2nd Generation (2000-2004)