2002 Avalon with P0171 &P0174 codes - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 2nd Generation (2000-2004)

2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View gliras1's Photo Gallery
2002 Avalon with P0171 &P0174 codes

I have a 2002 Avalon with a check engine light on with the codes P0171 and P0174. We have already replaced both oxygen sensors before and after the cat. Cleared the codes and test drove the car, light did not come right back on until we drove it for a while. Anybody have any suggestions? Someone said to either clean or replace the MAF? Could this fix the problem? I need help here? Thanks
gliras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View fraw's Photo Gallery
The best & wisest thing to be done here first is, try cleaning your MAF first dude. If it didn't work then that's the time you go for plan B.

Last edited by fraw; 08-18-2008 at 11:50 PM.
fraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View cking35@bellsouth.ne's Photo Gallery
USA

I have a 2000 avalon, about 9 months ago the check eng light came on. I have a code reader and it had codes po171 and po174, left bank lean. I have cleaned the MAF, removed the left oxy sensor, looked at it and re-installled, but did clean the connector. The light continues (CEL) coming and I contiue to erase it. The best cost for a oxy sensor I have found is $154.
cking35@bellsouth.ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Eurobob's Photo Gallery
cleaning my maf didn't do anything. still had the same codes. i replaced the sensor altogether and it worked like new
Eurobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
View new echo owner's Photo Gallery
Interesting, just keep throwing parts at it until something happens.

N.E.O.
new echo owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View 2MCHPWR's Photo Gallery
i have 2002 avalon and got the P0171 code.
it says bank 1 lean.
which is bank one? closest to firewall? I cleaned mass air flow meter already.
I want to swap the O2 sensors to see if the code changes as well. then i'll know if its really a bad o2 sensor. right?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
View new echo owner's Photo Gallery
A 2002 Avalon would have A/F sensors for sensor 1. Bank 1 is always the bank where #1 cylinder is located on, in this case it is the rear bank. MAF would have affected both banks, since it is only bank 1, it is very likely that you will need to replace the A/F sensor, which is on the exhaust manifold before the cat. Swaping the A/F sensors is one way of testing it, but there is also the posibility of the sensor sieze in the manifold when you do that.

N.E.O.
new echo owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Eurobob's Photo Gallery
if it is lean, you may have an injector stuck static closed on that bank. i would replace the sensor and see if it goes away, if it doesn't return it. does the car idle or run poorly? if the answer is no, i would still say that the maf sensor is bad. the pcv is on bank one on the passenger side, but i don't see that causing the problem that you have. Lean is you are not having enough gas and the fuel trim can not correct that much of a problem. if an injector is stuck closed, you can put a small wrench on the injectors and slightly tap them with a hammer. if something is blocking it, that usually clears it out. that bank is a bitch to get to though. i just don't see an o2 sensor going bad unless you run way too rich and dump raw fuel on it or you are running leaded gas which is almost impossible to get a hold of. toyotas have a lot of blow back from the crankcase line and the oil gunks that sensor up to the point you can not clean it. it is a delicate sensor too and may get damaged trying to clean it in the first place.
Eurobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEZ
New TN User

View NEZ's Photo Gallery
If your getting both codes P0171 and P0174 its either the MAF part#22204-07010 or you have a hose either loose or backwards your vacuum switching valve located on the air box. If your VSV is bad the part# is 90910-12199.
NEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 2nd Generation (2000-2004)