How to tell if I have a master key? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 2nd Generation (2000-2004)

2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View joebob452's Photo Gallery
How to tell if I have a master key?

I have a 2002 Avalon XLS that I bought from a used car dealer. It only came with one key. The key opened the glove box & trunk, so I figured I had a master key.

I bought a chip key and had it cut. I tried to follow the instructions for programming a new key, but I can't get it to enter programming mode.

I'm wondering if the problem is that my key is registered as a valet key in the computer. With my key not in the ignition the secuity light flashes slowly on & off. When I put my key into the ignition(without turning it) the secuity light turns solid for about 1 sec before going out.

How do I tell if I have a master of a valet key?

thanks,

Joe
joebob452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
Thought black was master, gray valet.

http://ifar.ca/en/vehicles/toyota/av...ogramming.html
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View hugesack's Photo Gallery
Hello i'm a tech for toyota and have seen this a hundred times. You are going to need to replace the transponder ecu to program keys on 98-03 avalons without the master or if the current ecu is filled up. Good news is your local dealer will warranty the part for you for the life of the vehicle. but you will need to pay labor for install and programming. I normally charge an hour for this. Also you can have a black key thats not a master. The only way to tell is to have your dealer hook up techstream to your car and figure it out that way. Since your car will not accept the programming there is a good chance you dont have a master. hope that helps
hugesack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

why would there be instructions for erasing all the keys except the current one if you have to replace the ecu if all the keys(3) are filled up?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View tr7driver's Photo Gallery
Not to hijack your thread, but it got me wondering how many keys you can actually program. I bought a 00 avy used and it came with 5 keys, one gray and 4 black, and 2 remotes. They all work fine. Could someone have somehow defeated the security feature on the car or could some the black keys be valet keys? How can I determine the correct security keys?

Thanks
1979 Triumph TR7
tr7driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
The issue may be if you lost the master key, a valet key will not let you program other dup keys.

The valet key is supposed to have limited access to other locks, try the keys on the glove box, trunk, etc.
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

I'm thinking that I have a key that is physically cut to be a master, but is in the computer as a valet key. The dealer said that I could bring in my own chip key I bought from the internet for $8 (even has the Toyota logo on the head) and they would program it for me for $30. They said on a 2002 XLS that even if it was a valet key in the computer they could program it as a master key. They said with other years the whole computer had to be replaced if there was no master key. I'm hoping they are right. After I get a master key from them, I'm hoping that I can use it to make another key myself.

thanks for the help,

Joe
Old 10-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View rnhead's Photo Gallery
Did the dealer register your new key without the original master key? My ecm on a 2002 Avalon XLS has a problem. I bought an used one, the master key for it not available, but the dealer said that the used ecm could not reprogrammed to recognize my master key.
Richard
rnhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

Followup.
A locksmith reflashed the used ecm and programmed my original master key to the used ecm.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View jaeb0922's Photo Gallery
old thread but i could use some help also. i just bought an 03 xls and it came with everything! 3 gray keys and 2 fobs so i assume that they are masters... right? how can one tell?

editted later... its actually 2 black and one gray. they all look gray to me at first but now i can tell. 2 master, 1 val.

Last edited by jaeb0922; 12-06-2009 at 11:49 PM.
jaeb0922 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

Master Key

The master keys will start car and unlock trunk and glove box. The valet key will not unlock the trunk and glove box.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View jaeb0922's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhead View Post
The master keys will start car and unlock trunk and glove box. The valet key will not unlock the trunk and glove box.
prolly counts as the trunk also but the pass through is a no go with the val also
jaeb0922 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View pghjoemp's Photo Gallery
92camry

maybe you experienced this with your keys...bought used camry...first time since owning car for three years, we turned trunk lock to left with only key we have...well, the lock is staying closed and won't open even with the other two keys that appear to be duplicates. ihear mention of master key, but if i could lock the trunk with the key we have, wouldn't you think you could unlock it with the same key?
checked the locking mechanism where it catches with the lower part near bumper it seems that everything is ok, the rod to the lock and trunk lid is intact. climbed inside thru back seat to somehow pop trunk open but once it is shut, its shut. is the "master key" the answer?
pghjoemp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
I wrench, therefore I am!

Gameroom cash: $215200
View TedL's Photo Gallery
Dealer/locksmith can cut master key from VIN, usually under $10 since you shouldn't have a transponder. Worth a try, before getting into lock parts as the other possibility.
TedL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 2nd Generation (2000-2004)