PO330 / VSC Lights - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 2nd Generation (2000-2004)

2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View likemytoyota's Photo Gallery
PO330 / VSC Lights

Hi - i'm new here - been doing some reading - looks like a good site. glad i found you all!!

My problem is that i'm pulling code PO330 on my 2003 Avalon. I'm familiar with what this code means - the problem that i have is that i also get the VSC light and VSC light off showing along wth check engine light. first i though maybe just bad wiring - burned out, etc.. so i cleared the codes thinking that it would come right back on if the wiring is bad. lights all stayed off for about 200 miles and the back on. two questions: first how do i test the sensors (i believe there are two?) to ensure that they are bad? i've read also that there's a wiring harness between the two that should be replaced as well - is there a way to test the harness? And second question, why would the VSC lights come on with a PO330 code? it that a result of the computer trying to reduce engine load?

I appreciate any advice.

m
likemytoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
I wrench, therefore I am!

Gameroom cash: $215200
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View TedL's Photo Gallery
I'm guessing you don't have the FSM....

0330 is specific to sensor 2, on the left bank. The setting condition is "No knock sensor 2 signal to ECM with engine speed between 2,000 and 5,600 rpm." The three listed "trouble areas" are:
- open or short in KS2 circuit
- KS2 (looseness)
- ECM

If checking the wiring doesn't reveal a problem, I assume (that dangerous step) that both sensors are the same and can be swapped to see if the code changes to 0325 (right bank KS).

Last edited by TedL; 08-24-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: add end quotes
TedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

thanks for quick reply. sorry i'm not familiar with FSM. what is and how do i check the KS2 circuit? where would i check for loose connection? and ECM - electronic control module? how do i check this and rule it out.

i read in my trusty manual how to replace the knox sensor but i really don't want to start replacing sensors without checking them. given that to access them it appears i need to pull the intake manifold is there an alternative way to check to see if there's any resistance in the sensor(s)?

sorry for what are probably dumb questions but i have very little experience working on modern cars. last cars i worked on were 1960's fords.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

FSM=Factory Service Manual

You have one knock sensor on each bank. As stated above, code 0330 tells you which one.

I don't mean to be unkind, but if you don't know how to check for a loose, shorted or otherwise bad connection, you're over your head. Fundamentals of electrical connections haven't changed over the years, even if the wires and connectors have improved.

I was not suggesting replacing without testing, but, rather, testing by swapping to see if the problem follows the sensor.

This is not a problem I've had to deal with, so my ability to help is limited to transcribing from the FSM and general suggestions from years of DIY experience.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

thank you - appreciate the reply - not to worry i have thick skin and appreciate the straigt up reply.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Location: San Diego CA, Glen Cove NY,Fairford UK,Cedar Rapids, IA
Gameroom cash: $386692
Lifetime Supreme Member
View csaxon's Photo Gallery
You get the VSC light because the P0330 code puts the ECU into fail-safe mode to protect the engine. You will notice that your vehicle will not accelerate like it used to.
The ECU will retard ignition timing more and more until the knock goes away, then it starts adding timing back until it's at base timing, or knocking comes back.

TedL's advice to switch knock sensors to follow a bad sensor is good. If you've had work done recently then look for loose or disconnected grounding wires.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

ok - thank you. i just recently replaced the MAF sensor and ICV as well as replaced timing belt. I'll look for loose ground / connection.

thank you.

Last edited by likemytoyota; 08-25-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

OK - i spent $100 and had the dealer do a pinpoint test to determine that the knock sensor is actually bad. So i'm going to tear into it and replace them both as well as the wiring harness for the two sensors. i've read that there is a small coolant hose running between the sensors that should be replaced since the engine is open. Can anyone help identify this hose so i can buy correct item? is a part number available? same thing for the wiring harness if possible. again just want to be sure i have the correct parts on hand once the engine is open.

here's a pict of the engine showing the point of connection for the hose as well as the wiring harness:

thank you
Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Exploded diagrams and listings are available at toyotapartszone.com. But my suggestion is that you email one of the site sponsors, Gary Smith, at:
garys@toyotaofnewnan.com. He's a toyota parts mgr. who posts here as toyopartsman. He'll identify the parts you need and sell them to you at a great discount.

Last edited by TedL; 08-30-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Add ref to Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to TedL For This Useful Post:
TOYOPARTSMAN (09-02-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

Thank you for the advise / help / suggestions. I will post further with results.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

I wanted to offer a quick update. Although i have not yet replaced the knock sensor, i did take TedL's advice and contacted Gary Smith @ garys@toyotaofnewnan.com. Gary was very helpful and responded very quickly. Even better, his prices for the replacement parts were even lower than what I found elsewhere (and i had found some pretty good prices on genuine Toyota parts!). Shipping was fast too. Folks - if you need to buy Toyota parts you cannot go wrong contacting Mr. Smith. I will definately contact him again in the future!

Thank you to all that helped out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to likemytoyota For This Useful Post:
TOYOPARTSMAN (09-02-2010), TrailDust (09-02-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 2nd Generation (2000-2004)