2000 Avalon - Power Chair/Lift Suspension Issue - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-20-2011, 04:58 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2000 Avalon - Power Chair/Lift Suspension Issue

I have a 2005 Camry (4 cyl) and a 2000 Avalon that I am looking to use to carry a Power Chair & Lift. I know both vehicles can accept a Class 2 hitch and have a tongue weight max of 300 lbs. The combined weight of the lift and chair is 275 lbs. I would like recommendations on suspension upgrades that would decrease the sagging of the rear of the car. I am looking for that extra margin of safety.....

The Power Chair & Lift will rarely be attached to either car - one trip per month. The cars will only be driven with this attachment in good weather. The cars will only be driven in the most cautious fashion - think blue haired driver. Little or no extra weight will be in the vehicles - besides two passengers (300 lbs combined).

I appreciate any comments the membership of the forum has to offer. I need to find a solution that works with one or both of my vehicles and provides a bit more freedom for my parents - disabled veteran father & mobility challenged mother. I know a small suv or minivan are better platforms for this (they are class 3 hitch capable), but we can't afford this route.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonCamry View Post
I have a 2005 Camry (4 cyl) and a 2000 Avalon that I am looking to use to carry a Power Chair & Lift. I know both vehicles can accept a Class 2 hitch and have a tongue weight max of 300 lbs. The combined weight of the lift and chair is 275 lbs. I would like recommendations on suspension upgrades that would decrease the sagging of the rear of the car. I am looking for that extra margin of safety.....

The Power Chair & Lift will rarely be attached to either car - one trip per month. The cars will only be driven with this attachment in good weather. The cars will only be driven in the most cautious fashion - think blue haired driver. Little or no extra weight will be in the vehicles - besides two passengers (300 lbs combined).

I appreciate any comments the membership of the forum has to offer. I need to find a solution that works with one or both of my vehicles and provides a bit more freedom for my parents - disabled veteran father & mobility challenged mother. I know a small suv or minivan are better platforms for this (they are class 3 hitch capable), but we can't afford this route.

Thanks again.
Avalon with the 6 cyl motor would be a better choice then 4 cyl Camry. Front suspension should be fine; I would look into a set of air shocks to beef up rear suspension; should be able to retrofit something like that in. Look for a local trailer hitch place to get some in person discussion.

2002 Avalon XLS; Black with grey interior; no mods; 2nd owner; 215K+ miles - starting to use a little oil between changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 2nd Generation (2000-2004)