Toyota Nation Forum banner

What's a Reasonable Cost for Timing Belt Replacement?

64K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bobflood 
#1 ·
Just checked with the nearest Toyota dealer here in eastern NC regarding the cost to replace the timing belt on my 2003 Avalon.

They quoted me $898 ... which includes replacing the timing belt, water pump, coolant, thermostat, cam and crank seals, drive belts ... forgot to ask about the tensioners.

This seems a bit high to me, based on other postings I've read ... anyone care to comment?

#2 ·
I paid just under $600 at a Toyota dealer a year ago to get everything you have listed replaced. I live in central NC and also have a 2003 Avalon XLS.

It took some negotiation with the dealership. What I did is found their service special online for just the t-belt and coolant and negotiated the other items.

#4 ·
My local independent charges $600 for everything you listed except the seals. If they're needed they'll change those while they're in there.

And knowing them they would "throw in" the seals at no charge. After all they don't cost much and are VERY easy to replace once you're in there!

#6 ·
The tensioner and thermostat are not needed on this job If this is your first t-belt replacement on this vehicle i wouldnt worry about the tensioner I've been at a dealership for 7 years and never seen a tensioner fail on one of these Maybe replace it at the 2nd t-belt service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.