Newbie losing his limited mind!: Pulling code 1130 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Newbie losing his limited mind!: Pulling code 1130

Hello Gentlemen,

I usually do my own work and it is on old GM cars but I could not deny the dependability of the Toyota so we have bought two of them. Both Avalons a 96 & a 2001.

The 2001 one is the one I am about to go screaming out into the wilderness over.

After the PO 1130 code (bank 1 sensor 1 against firewall,please confirm for 2001 Avalon) I ordered an air/fuel sensor after reading the confusion between these and O2 sensors. Whether the info was correct the one I ordered off Amazon was an air/fuel type which I had installed due to my disability status. Light came back on but somehow passed inspection. Now the car is running crappy,chugging fuel and the 1130 code has been joined with Po701 and several po 300 codes (7 codes in all but I believe the 1130 is source of all).

So did I have the wrong sensor installed or are they the same basic sensor and I got a dud? Warrenty is out on sensor so no sending back so I have to buy a new (hopefully correct) sensor for the 1130 code and pay money we really really do not have to try again. This is my wifes car she runs family around in and the interior is being bombarded with fuel and exhaust smells I guess because sending the ECM incorrect air fuel signals. Wish I kept our old sensor because it ran perfect except for the code light. Any help is GREATLY appreciated as all I can find with numerous searches is 1130 codes on Camrys only 1135s on Avalon . Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Do you feel lucky?

Thanked 6,552 Times in 4,573 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3707 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Hello........and welcome to Toyota Nation from a fellow 2nd Gen Avalon owner!

I'll move your thread over to the 2nd Gen forum so that the members there can help you out with your issue.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
post #3 of 6 Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You should post all the codes you have.

I have had code 1130 for the last 5 years, my car runs fine. Does not pass emissions but runs great.
Smelling exhaust and gas is something else, and i would think is quite serious.

Is the exhaust loud, i mean even just any noise at all since the avalon muffler is very quiet?

Also you dont say where you live but that back sensor is very hard to get out. Worse if you live in the north east of North America. If it has stripped threads it will leak exhaust.

Last edited by shortrun; 03-20-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 PM
イリジウム

Thanked 1,075 Times in 1,011 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Look on the emissions sticker and see if you have Federal or California emissions on the engine. Also try cleaning the mass air flow sensor with a MAF cleaner spray can, find one at Walmart.

See also:
P0300, P1130 and P1135
2000 Avalon XLS - P1130 code

post #5 of 6 Old 03-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnow! View Post
Hello Gentlemen,

I usually do my own work and it is on old GM cars but I could not deny the dependability of the Toyota so we have bought two of them. Both Avalons a 96 & a 2001.

The 2001 one is the one I am about to go screaming out into the wilderness over.

After the PO 1130 code (bank 1 sensor 1 against firewall,please confirm for 2001 Avalon) I ordered an air/fuel sensor after reading the confusion between these and O2 sensors. Whether the info was correct the one I ordered off Amazon was an air/fuel type which I had installed due to my disability status. Light came back on but somehow passed inspection. Now the car is running crappy,chugging fuel and the 1130 code has been joined with Po701 and several po 300 codes (7 codes in all but I believe the 1130 is source of all).

So did I have the wrong sensor installed or are they the same basic sensor and I got a dud? Warrenty is out on sensor so no sending back so I have to buy a new (hopefully correct) sensor for the 1130 code and pay money we really really do not have to try again. This is my wifes car she runs family around in and the interior is being bombarded with fuel and exhaust smells I guess because sending the ECM incorrect air fuel signals. Wish I kept our old sensor because it ran perfect except for the code light. Any help is GREATLY appreciated as all I can find with numerous searches is 1130 codes on Camrys only 1135s on Avalon . Please help
Even if the rear A/F ratio sensor was bad, it should not effect your car the way you are describing. In fact, you can disconnect the sensor, and the only thing you should notice is that you get about 3MPG less mileage and your car may not have quite as much power or stall at a stop light. But, the car should still run smooth.

I'm pretty sure the codes for this failure on a 2001 is different from a 2003 like my car:

2003 Avalon Code P0135 A/F Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1

Last edited by Endzone3; 03-20-2017 at 07:52 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 10:59 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Yes please post all the codes. It will help.
You mentioned P0300 as being one of the codes. Often there will be P0301,P0303,P0305 etc....This is very useful info. P0300 means there is a problem that is affecting all the cylinders (randomly). Where as P0301 means cylinder 1 is the problem....maybe an injector, plug, coil, vacuum leak, etc. If P0301, P0303, P0305 all show up then it is something affecting all the rear bank cylinder... maybe the VVT (Variable Valve Timing). These motors are a bit reknown for sticking OCVs (Oil Control Valves) that cause the cam timing to be off significantly at low RPMs. They idle really badly and threaten to stall ever time you stop, but run ok once your moving.
The fuel smell you mentioned could be leaky injector seals...If the mechanic who worked on your car removed the plenum in order to access the A/F ratio sensor he may not have changed the gaskets for it and the throttle bodies, or if he had to use a torch to get it out he may have damaged the manifold or it's gaskets. I hope he used an OEM Denso brand A/F sensor!!!
Oil burning smells from that part of the engine are often caused by leaking Valve cover gaskets.
Check out the threads here on all these issues...there is a ton of info and many links to good DIY videos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004)