2006 Avalon Tire Upgrade Options - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)

3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Dr.Quality's Photo Gallery
2006 Avalon Tire Upgrade Options

I just purchased an 2006 Avalon Limited. The OE tire spec for the ’06 Avalon Limited, Touring and XLS is 215/55-17 93V. (The XL takes a 16” tire.) A little research at www.tirerack.com reveals that the OEM tires (Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 and Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02) are not going to be very good … check the websites yourself and you’ll see. It took a while to figure out what the options are and I thought I would post it to save other Avalon owners some time.

Using TireRack and another website, www.1010tires.com, I was able to generate a pretty complete list of all the possible upgrades. Disregarding the more specialized types of tires (ultra-high-performance, winter, racing, performance summer, etc.) … and disregarding tires that were rated poorly … there are about six possibilities (in order of approx. price):

1) Kuhmo Solus KH16 215/55-17 93V (Grand Touring, $84)
2) Yokohama Avid H4s 225/50-17 94H (High-Performance, $105)
3) Yokohama Avid V4s 215/55-17 93V (High-Performance, $106)
4) Toyo Proxes TPT 215/55-17 94H (Performance/Touring, $111)
5) Toyo Proxes TPT 215/55 17 94V (Performance/Touring, $116)
6) Bridgestone Turanza LS-V 225/50-17 94V (Grand Touring, $152)

Tires 2 and 4 have a lower speed rating (H) than OE spec (V). The speed rating refers to the maximum rated speed at which the tires should be run. An H speed rating corresponds to 130 mph; a V speed rating corresponds to 149 mph. Some installers will, due to their legal concerns, refuse to install a lower speed rating than spec. (Costco is one example.) While most drivers don’t plan to drive anywhere near these speeds, it is still a difference to consider; higher speed rated tires will generally be stronger, stiffer (ride rougher) and be more resistant to heat effects … at all speeds. Recent events such as the Explorer/Firestone fiasco have led auto manufacturers to favor higher OE speed ratings.

Tires 2 and 6 are “plus zero” applications. These tires are slightly shorter, slightly wider and have a smaller radius, diameter and circumference than the OE spec tires. Most often, people “plus zero” a tire in order to improve vehicle appearance (the rims look bigger and the tire looks “skinnier”) as well as to gain additional grip and handling … while retaining the OE rims. These tires will fit your rims … but they will have a slight effect on your odometer/speedometer. Since they are smaller circumference tires, they will make more revolutions per mile. According to the calculator at 1010Tires, the 225/50 application will result in a 1 mile increase in speedometer reading at 60mph (more specifically, 1.783% too fast at any speed). That will also throw the odometer high about 18 miles per 1000. The calculator shows the 225/50 tire to be about 4/10ths of an inch wider and about ½ inch shorter. The tires should clear in terms of width (so I was told by TireRack) but it would be wise to confirm this yourself. Plussing tires can also confuse computerized braking systems (ABS, traction, stability). The systems rely upon sensing wheel speeds to determine when and how they should intervene. Significant deviations could result in some degradation of systems braking (or, apparently, with enough deviation, system failures!) The recommendation found at 1010Tires is that that tire diameter should not deviate from OE spec by more than 3% in order to avoid these types of problems. The 225/50 application results in a diameter difference of minus 1.75%.

I included the “plus zero” tires since they are expected to be even better tires than the others named/found, both in terms of quality and in terms of “balanced ride.” The Bridgestone Turanza LS-V was rated very highly among all the “grand touring” tires (tires that strive to balance ride/noise comfort with wet/dry non-winter handling). The Yoko Avid H4s was highly rated among all high-performance tires (tires that strive FIRST for wet/dry non-winter handling, then rise/noise comfort … and the H tire should offer more comfort (and so be more “balanced”) than the V tire.

You are welcome, of course, to look at the two websites mentioned and reach your own conclusions regarding the customer feedback for all of the tires. (Actually, I could not locate any customer feedback for the Kuhmo Solus, but there was a comparison test at TireRack– look up the tire then click on “Tests.”) TireRack does not vend Toyos, but there was customer feedback for Toyo at 1010Tires.

The NHTSA website [ http://www.safercar.gov/tires/] also has traction, temp and wear ratings for all of these tires.

For the Avalon XL, if you want a very soft ride, you might want to consider the Yokohama AVID Touring tire. I have had two sets of them (on non-Toyota vehicles) and they are simply outstanding in terms of comfort and price. Note, however that their speed rating is only S (112 mph) and, since they tend strongly toward ride/noise comfort, their wet/snow/cornering/handling performance is less than might be desirable for your particular situation. I live in the South, my driving style is conservative and I was very, very cautious with them in wet conditions at interstate speeds and in cornering … so, for me, they were great tires.

Anyway, I spent a good bit of time digging all this up and I thought it would save some other Avalon owners some legwork.

POSTSCRIPT: Further checking reveals that, though the Avid H speed is listed at the Yoko website, it is not available in the marketplace in all sizes. Apparently, Yoko has taken H speed out of production for this tire and what is on the market is just what is still left in retail inventories.

Last edited by Dr.Quality; 01-28-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Dr.Quality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View sloopercat's Photo Gallery
I just put a set of Yokohama V4S's, 215/50/17 on my 99 Avalon. I am really impressed with the quiet, the ride (I changed from the 15" stock size). It just rained here, the wet traction is amazing!! Of course big improvement in handling as well from the 15's. I'll use the Miata for the real fun.

They are also really highly rated in the customer surveys.
sloopercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View NHTouring's Photo Gallery
Actually 235/50/17 would be the best choice for "plus zero" fitment. The overall diameter is the same as OEM yet you gain nearly an inch of contact patch. This size will also fit the factory 7" width. There are several brands that make performance touring tires that are substantially better than the factory tires, it just depends on what you want to spend. One new brand from tirerack.com is Avon and these tires are getting excellent reviews and are quite inexpensive. The downside is that they are extremely heavy tires compared to OEM and this will hurt overall performance (acceleration, braking, etc) But for a quiet all season touring tire, they seem pretty good. Just a little more info for those trying to upgrade tires. Hope this helps.
NHTouring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View BNZ84's Photo Gallery
I can say another option is 225/55/17. Slightly taller than original. Fits wells nicely and no rubbing. I have the Falken Ziex 512s W speed rated - less than $100 per tire. Pleased so far. Lightweight. Allseason but I only use them in summer. Currently have Blizzak Revo's on stock 16" xl wheels.
BNZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
X Avalon

View hsakuragi's Photo Gallery
take the v4s...you won't regret...well worth it, i have them on my avalon now....good at corners, good on wet too!
hsakuragi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTouring
Actually 235/50/17 would be the best choice for "plus zero" fitment. The overall diameter is the same as OEM yet you gain nearly an inch of contact patch. This size will also fit the factory 7" width. There are several brands that make performance touring tires that are substantially better than the factory tires, it just depends on what you want to spend. One new brand from tirerack.com is Avon and these tires are getting excellent reviews and are quite inexpensive. The downside is that they are extremely heavy tires compared to OEM and this will hurt overall performance (acceleration, braking, etc) But for a quiet all season touring tire, they seem pretty good. Just a little more info for those trying to upgrade tires. Hope this helps.

I overlooked that. I now see that in terms of diameter, it is closer than the other specs mentioned. However TireRack said that it will be too wide to clear the struts without rubbing. This precludes the Avon you mentioned as well as the Turanza LS-Z available in that size. The Avalon is spec-ed at a 46mm offset. The Turanza LS-V s, according to Tirerack, by the book should clear ... by 1 mm. They also said if I confirm the actual offset (by rim stamping, etc.) as 46mm, they guarantee fitment and will accept a return.

Not surprisingly, btw, they would not support employing any T speed tires that might fit. They don't vend Toyos and they are stocked out of Kuhmo. It looks like it is down to OE spec Yoko Avid V4 or the 225/50 Turanza LS-V. Both have the AA traction rating as well as A temp rating, better on both counts than all of the other choices I tossed about (if I recall correctly). Treadlifes are competitive as well (400 for the LS-V, 500 for the Yoko). TireRack advises that the LS-V will live up to its intent as a touring tire and that I would find noticable difference between the LS-V and the Yoko in that regard.

Last edited by Dr.Quality; 02-04-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Well, not that it's singificant, but I believe our offset is 45mm. Now I trust that the people at TireRack are professionals, but in my experience vendors often shy away from recommending sizes other than what the manufacturer suggests. Although they do have 235/50/17 as a recommended plus zero size.

Now, I've been crunching number since I bought this car because I've wanted to change either the tire width or wheelset altogether because the factory set up is so narrow and tucked in. With that I find it hard to believe that increasing the tires from 215 to 235 will cause fitment problems. Assuming the same offset (45) going to 235 from 215 increases the width 20mm or 10mm on each side. Thats a 0.4" increase towards the inside (and to the outside). If our tires are closer than 0.5" to the struts, then I guess it is too close.

I know that others here have 245's on 8.5" wide wheels and assuming a 40mm offset, the tire is now 10mm closer to the inside just like a 235 is on the factory wheel. I'm pretty sure that some of the people do in fact have 40mm offsets. The most common would be a 38mm offset and, assuming the same tire width, now the tire is 0.3" closer to the strut. I've heard that 20x 8.5 with 38mm offset and 245's fit our cars with no rubbing issues and room to spare in the back. I've also visited a local wheel shop to see if 255's on an 8.5" wide wheel would work. It's close but it does fit, you probably just can't lower the car later on. So, assuming that my numbers are accurate a 235 on our factory wheels, regardless of brand, should fit with no problem.

I apologize for so much useless information just to try to prove one simple point.

Again, I hope this helps...
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks for all that input. TireRack told me their book says the offset is 46. I agreed that I would stop by my local installer to try to verify the offset and to test out fitment with some real tires. I'll post the results.

Last edited by Dr.Quality; 03-11-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View osidepunker's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTouring
Well, not that it's singificant, but I believe our offset is 45mm. Now I trust that the people at TireRack are professionals, but in my experience vendors often shy away from recommending sizes other than what the manufacturer suggests. Although they do have 235/50/17 as a recommended plus zero size.

Now, I've been crunching number since I bought this car because I've wanted to change either the tire width or wheelset altogether because the factory set up is so narrow and tucked in. With that I find it hard to believe that increasing the tires from 215 to 235 will cause fitment problems. Assuming the same offset (45) going to 235 from 215 increases the width 20mm or 10mm on each side. Thats a 0.4" increase towards the inside (and to the outside). If our tires are closer than 0.5" to the struts, then I guess it is too close.

I know that others here have 245's on 8.5" wide wheels and assuming a 40mm offset, the tire is now 10mm closer to the inside just like a 235 is on the factory wheel. I'm pretty sure that some of the people do in fact have 40mm offsets. The most common would be a 38mm offset and, assuming the same tire width, now the tire is 0.3" closer to the strut. I've heard that 20x 8.5 with 38mm offset and 245's fit our cars with no rubbing issues and room to spare in the back. I've also visited a local wheel shop to see if 255's on an 8.5" wide wheel would work. It's close but it does fit, you probably just can't lower the car later on. So, assuming that my numbers are accurate a 235 on our factory wheels, regardless of brand, should fit with no problem.

I apologize for so much useless information just to try to prove one simple point.

Again, I hope this helps...
So if I only wanted to use 20 inch rims; would 245/35/20 with a 38mm offset be the widest contact patch I could fit with no rubbing?

And how does "offset" work? is it the higher the number the farther away from the brake, or vice versa?

Two D612D4's run off a D61000.1 w/ a 1.2 farad cap, in custom fiberglass sealed enclosures.
Soon to come: Tinted windows. K&N intake kit. High-flow exhaust. And a set of 20's (maybe 18's).
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2155533
osidepunker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

Osidepunker,

245/35/20 seems to be the most popular size for this car. I'm actually shooting 255/35/20. I know that the overall circumfrence increases, but only by a bit and it shouldn't throw anything off (speedo, odo, etc) too much. There is someone here running 245/35/20 with a 45mm offset, so if those will fit, I see no reason that 255s wouldn't fit with a 38mm offset. As far a contact patch goes, obviously the 255 would seem to be larger than the 245, but it also depends on the tire brand. Tires with the same measurements often aren't equal. I'm looking at the Nitto NT-555 because it's supposed to have the largest contact patch.

As far a offset goes, with our cars the lower the number the further to the outside the wheel is. So if we have 45mm and go to a 38, the centerline of the wheel moves to the outside 7mm, which means the inside edge of the rim is now 7mm further from the car. I believe that "offset" is defined as the distance of the mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Quality
Thanks for all that input. TireRack told me their book says the offset is 46. I agreed that I would stop by my local installer to try to verify the offset and to test out fitment with some real tires. I'll post the results.

I stopped by my local installer. He looked up the tire measurements on a table and told me what I already knew about the section width and overall diameter. The question was whether it would rub. He said something to the effect that it wasn't that much difference in width so it wouldn't rub. I wasn't exactly satisfied with this off-the-cuff answer. It may not be that much difference ... but the question is is it TOO MUCH difference? The other research I did suggested it might just BE too much.

Anyway, I also picked up a copy of 06 Consumer Reports and it compared the Turanza LS-V and the Yoko Avid V4s in the same category ... and it showed the Yoko to be the softer ride. And that was my primary criteria. Odd, since TireRack listed Turanza LS-V as Grand Touring and the Yoko as High Performance. Yet CR picked the Turanza as the better gripper and the harsher ride. So I ordered a set of the Yokos, being not only the softer tire (not surprising after a couple of sets of Yoko AVID Touring on my last two cars) but availble in the OE size/spec as well. The Yoko is supposed to come up short in the wet (and the Tourings DID do that), but I am a conservative driver in the three-season Carolinas, so that works for me.

Everyone, thank you for your input.

UPDATE: I purchased the Toyo V4s and I have now driven them about 1,000 miles. These are in the OE size, no issues regarding offset or plus sizing. They are a clear improvement over the Michelins that came on the car. The ride is much softer. Absorbs typical bumps like RR tracks very well. Unfornunately, not as soft as the Yoko Avid Touring that I had on my Caddy ... but then again this is a V tire, the Caddy took an S speed tire.

When the temperature was in the 30s around here, the tire seemed lumpy out of the gate, but warmed fairly quickly. As the temperature has risen, so has the tire's comfort level. Much smoother now that its up in the 60s and 70s around here.

Though it is hard to tell (due to the infamous blue screen MPG calculator), it does seem that this is a heavy tire with a MPG penalty when compared to the OE tires, perhaps 2 to 3 mpg, more in the city than highway. I am currently running them at 33 pounds. I assume that upping the pressure would reduce the penalty somewhat, but I am going for comfort so I probably won't increase the pressure that much.

Since I drive conservatively and we don't incur a great deal of inclement weather round here, I can't really comment on gripping/handling or wet/snow/ice performance...though the Yoko Avid Tourings were clearly less capable in these areas.

The tread is expected to last much longer than the OE tires. Overall, I recommend the upgrade if you are looking for longer tread life and a more comfortable ride.

Last edited by Dr.Quality; 03-11-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

Switched from Yoko V4S to TRZ ...

I am/was at 24K with the Yoko V4S's and I took a nail. I put a pair of P225/55R-17 Yokohama AVID TRZs on the back. They are softer and will last longer. Originally, I passed on these, concerned about the slightly larger size. They fit without problem ... and they do ride softer.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Do you feel lucky?

Gameroom cash: $1001902250
Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,957 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View TrailDust's Photo Gallery
^^^

I had AVIDs on my Avalon before and also an Integra I used to own, and that is a great tire. Very quiet, excellent roll resistance, and they wore very well...I'd recommend them....

TrailDust

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
TrailDust is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View leeronald4's Photo Gallery
Can anyone answer this question for me? I am looking at a set of 18x8 wheels with a 40 offset for my 2007 Avalon Limited. Will 245/45/18 tires rub?

Last edited by leeronald4; 01-15-2011 at 09:32 PM.
leeronald4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $231055
View hghflyrjd1's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeronald4 View Post
Can anyone answer this question for me? I am looking at a set of 18x8 wheels with a 40 offset for my 2009 Avalon Limited. Will 245/45/18 tires rub?

width is usually this issue here..i have the 2010 toyota highlander hybrid 19s on my 09 limited with no rub BUT my tire is a 225 45 19
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)