Toyota Nation Forum banner

I'm an idiot - drained transmission by mistake

11K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Mike Murrell 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I changed oil in my 2008 Avy. It has the 6 speed transmission with no dipstick. To make a long story short, I pulled the transmission drain plug instead of the oil drain. There is no way to know how much fluid drained out. Obviously that fluid needs to be replaced but how to know what the fluid level is when topping it off? I assume that over filling is bad as is under filling.
Can anybody help?

#5 ·
See also: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...mry-6-speed-auto-transmission-flush-pics.html

You don't have to know how much fluid. The correct level is measured by running the engine and then seeing a small steady trickle out of the fill port. Just make sure you use the correct fluid. IIRC yours should be the U660E using WS fluid. Others use Valvoline MaxLife fully synthetic ATF (check out the Walmart jugs).

Personally I would just fill with the powertrain overnight cold and be done with it, because I figured fluid expansion going from say 70 F to 100 F isn't a whole lot. But the proper procedure was outlined in the links if you do feel like following it.

Now that you're at it, maybe change out the felt filter too.

#8 ·
You have to read to the bottom of the message thread in the provided link.
That method should work for you because the author intentionally overfilled the transmission and then let it spit out the excess. Similar to what JohnGD recommended.

I copied the relevant section here:

11. With vehicle level (I put a level on the trans pan bottom and jack the front of mine up about 6") Start vehicle and cycle through PRND432L to get fluid pumped throughout the trans. Taking temp readings with the IR thermometer at several points on the pan.
12. On a cold vehicle it will take 5-10 min to get to 115F which is the temp you want for correct fluid expansion and level check. (double check your owners manual or service manual for the temp.)
13. When you get a 115F reading with engine idling remove check plug and allow fluid to drain and replacing crush washer on plug. When fluid drains to a trickle (10-15 seconds) replace check plug and tighten.
14. Double check plugs & cooler line connections for leaks.
15. test drive vehicle.
16. check for leaks again.
17. replace plastic under body panels.

#10 ·
Finally got 'er done. It took two trips to Toyota and 6 quarts of WS ATF. After running until trans temp got up to 112, the level was about 1/16 inch below the fill hole. The road test went fine so I'm thinking what I did was OK. Thanks to all who contributed to getting me out of trouble. :smile:

#11 ·
What? 6 quarts for a pan drop?

The drain plug in the pan is the overflow check plug. Not much will come out of it if you accidentally remove it. You would have to remove the internal straw.

You do not fill the side plug like a differential or manual transmission. Not sure how you filled to 1/16th of anything.

#14 · (Edited)
Yes, your illustration is exactly how I checked the level due to previous instruction stating fluid should run out of the fill port which is how we did stuff in the old school. Apparently I am not understanding the nomenclature being used.
When I removed the plug from the bottom of the transmission pan a full and steady stream of fluid ran out. I didnt hang around to watch and see how much and the drain tub was fairly full when taken out. Hence I believed that to be a drain plug. If I now understand how this thing works, there is a "stand pipe" or "straw" extending upward from that check plug into the transmission. The top of that pipe or straw is positioned at what is the correct fluid level. So, checking trans fluid level is done by removing that bottom plug, which is called the "check" plug? That being the case, the transmission was overfilled from the factory and is WAY overfilled now due to me adding 6 quarts of fluid.
To fix the situation, I need to get under the car and remove the check plug and drain out about $60 worth of fluid. Am I finally on the right track?

#17 ·
Read the link already posted above.

The video is for a 180F hot level check. Dealers don't have the time to let the transmission to cool off to 105-113F which is what the pan straw is calibrated for.

I doubt that you were overfilled. If the vehicle is off, or fluid too hot, or not on level ground, fluid will drain out pan's check plug.

Johngd made a mistake by saying "fill port". Its the pan plug that trickles.

Park vehicle on level surface overnight. Start cold vehicle up and cycle shifter through all gear selector positions for 5-10 seconds in each spot. Leave in park with engine running on level surface. Remove pan plug and the 5.5 quarts of overfill will drain out.

#18 ·
Yes, I agree, that is the plan and I bought an IR thermometer yesterday.

I just watched the first several minutes of that video when I found it last night. Enough to confirm my understanding of what is actually going on with this fill plug/check plug arrangement. This morning I watched the rest of the video. Hard to imagine anyone but a dealer would have that pile of equipment and tools just to check a fluid level. Toyota sure is making what was once a simple dipstick procedure into a major PIA.

Now that I am back to doing my own oil changes, I know what to do and NOT do! DUH! This old dog sure learned some new tricks this time around!

Thanks again!!

#20 · (Edited)
To make a long story short, I pulled the transmission drain plug instead of the oil drain. There is no way to know how much fluid drained out.
For next time.

Get 2 empty gallon jugs - same type. You need the kind you can see fluid level on like an empty milk/water/windshield washer fluid jug. Using a 32 oz. measuring cup - fill it to the 32 oz level. Pour it in one of the jugs. Take a sharpie/marksalot/whatever and draw a line at the spot where the water tops off at. Do this again 3 more times. Empty the jug. You now have a 1 gal measuring cup with four 1 qt. graduations. Pour transmission fluid or whatever kind of fluid you are measuring into the other jug. Now set them side by side and look at where the fluid level is. Eyeball across to your measuring jug. If the fluid level is between 2 marks, you simply use common sense to determine what percentage of a qt. you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.