Limited Service Campaign to fix VVTi - Page 5 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)

3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #61 (permalink)
It Wasn't Me

Gameroom cash: $550780
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View boosted-fc3s's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackman View Post
My 2007 Avalon XLS had LSC 90K - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT-I) OIL HOSE REPLACEMENT done today.

Did they change it to include 07's? I thought it was 05-06 only. I have an 07, toyota's recall website says I need the 2 recalls, and this LSC, but the LSC paperwork (at least that ive been able to find ) doesnt include my vin range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #62 (permalink)
New TN User

View Nhazinho's Photo Gallery
I just checked the Recall/Campaign Information @ Toyota Owners and after typing in my VIN # the following came up:
LSC 90K - Variable Valve Timing (VVT-I) Oil Hose replacement
code:90K
Memo: This is a limited Service Campaign. Please contact your authorized Toyota dealer to schedule an appointment to replace the VVT-I oil hose with a newly designed one before March 31, 2013.

FYI - I have a 07 Camry XLE V6
Nhazinho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #63 (permalink)
New TN User

View smackman's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted-fc3s View Post
Did they change it to include 07's? I thought it was 05-06 only. I have an 07, toyota's recall website says I need the 2 recalls, and this LSC, but the LSC paperwork (at least that ive been able to find ) doesnt include my vin range.
Yes the 2007 Avalon is included.
smackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #64 (permalink)
It Wasn't Me

Does anyone have a copy of the updated LSC 90K, the one I pulled off TIS back in October when I had a subscription was 05-06 only.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #65 (permalink)
New TN User

View smackman's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted-fc3s View Post
Does anyone have a copy of the updated LSC 90K, the one I pulled off TIS back in October when I had a subscription was 05-06 only.
I had my 2007 Avalon in the shop for recall work on Feb. 23, 2010. The service mananger made me aware of SSC 90K and installed it that same day. I believe the recall bacame effective for our models in a Feb. 22 memo.

I do have the rubber hose but it is suppose to be kevlar lined. Cost me 0 SO I am as happy as a cat covering crap.

I will be glad when everyone gets off Toyota's ass. All this has become a circus for the Big 3.By the end of 2011 , Toyota will be #1 again.
I love my 2007 Avalon XLS.
smackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #66 (permalink)
First Avalon

Gameroom cash: $184290
View billberry12's Photo Gallery
Does anyone know if 2008's are recalled for the line?
billberry12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #67 (permalink)
It Wasn't Me

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/ss...call_vinlookup

Drop your vin into that site, it will come up with the recalls, and the LSC if its affected.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #68 (permalink)
First Avalon

Gameroom cash: $184290
View billberry12's Photo Gallery
Thanks. I found out from that site that mine is included in the oil line recall too. I have it scheduled for the accelerator problem fix for March 15. They are booked unitl then. I am calling tomorrow and telling them to add this oil line fix to the time slot.

Thanks again,
Bill
billberry12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #69 (permalink)
HMALETTER

View HMALETTER's Photo Gallery
Piston Slap

My VVTI had been done awhile back. The piston slapping was still bad, and getting worse. Toyota approved some $4,000 in warranty work they said was related. This involved replacing camshafts and a large list of other things. Piston slap still bad, even after several miles.

Yesterday, the Toyota rep took it out and then they analyzed the problem. The Rep stated it went away after 45 seconds (almost 45 degrees out), and was undetectable after reaching normal operating temps. I picked up the car this morning, it was 50 degrees outside. All the way out of the dealer lot, and up the road between lights, it made the noise of an old car with not enough oil. NICE diagnosis.

This 2006 car has been pampered, and has not quite 60,000 miles of mostly highway driving on it. My first complaint was last August, again in September, and they did the camshaft work in January.

My reaction to the rep was this. Can you imagine a customer test driving a new Avalon and asking about the piston slap, which the rep said was normal for this engine? I doubt anyone would ever buy one. This is the first formal Case I've had with any car company in 35 years of buying and driving dozens of cars. It's not only unimpressive to get this kind of service, but it's downright embarrassing to hear it.

It definitely leaves a bad impression in my mind that's for sure.
HMALETTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #70 (permalink)
New TN User

View roysleight's Photo Gallery
Well I had mine done the other day along with the floor mat and accelerator stuff. I had the conversation with the service manager, like some of you where, first he denies there is such a thing as the one piece oil tube. I showed him a picture of it with the Toyota part number and explained that all these engines since April of '08 have them. "Oh, well yeah, but we can only do what the TSB says to do and the engineers at Toyota know what is right for your car." He absolutely refused to put the solid line on even if I paid for the parts and tried to tell me that it would be 5 hours of labor if I come in another time to have it done. What a crock! I'm very disappointed in them and am seriously questioning buying another Toyota.
1979 Harley
roysleight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #71 (permalink)
New TN User

View mac12's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysleight View Post
Well I had mine done the other day along with the floor mat and accelerator stuff. I had the conversation with the service manager, like some of you where, first he denies there is such a thing as the one piece oil tube. I showed him a picture of it with the Toyota part number and explained that all these engines since April of '08 have them. "Oh, well yeah, but we can only do what the TSB says to do and the engineers at Toyota know what is right for your car." He absolutely refused to put the solid line on even if I paid for the parts and tried to tell me that it would be 5 hours of labor if I come in another time to have it done. What a crock! I'm very disappointed in them and am seriously questioning buying another Toyota.
I ordered the solid oil line and the three gaskets a few months back and my dealer installed them labor free, but I have an outstanding service manager. FWIW the one piece line was new to them as well.
mac12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #72 (permalink)
New TN User

View big_al1's Photo Gallery
just got mine in the mail on the Sienna it say 2007-2010 models
big_al1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #73 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $122050
Garage
View r1-superstar's Photo Gallery
Unfortunately I have been off this forum for a long time. I had no idea there was a service bulletin for this. Had I have known earlier, I would have taken it in. I'm unsure as to when the bulletin came out though.

Two months ago my wife was driving home from work; she pulled into the garage and the car was smoking. She told me the car started to make noise and that when she tried to accelerate, it wouldn't go as fast. As the car sat in the garage and I jacked it up, it was purging all the oil onto the garage floor. Well I had the car (2007 Avalon Touring) towed into Toyota, and they replaced the VVTi line free of charge.

It still makes a tiny bit of noise and I hope the engine will be fine.

P.S. My Toyota dealer takes good care of me and I have been happy with their Service department.
r1-superstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #74 (permalink)
New TN User

View RobertH's Photo Gallery
Did Toyota provide you with any documentation that they would pay for other engine repairs caused by the VVT-i failure?
RobertH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)