2006 Toyota Avalon Rack and Pinion Leak - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA 2006 Toyota Avalon Rack and Pinion Leak

I took my 2006 Avalon in for a recall and a few hours later got a call that they had found a problem. They noticed that my power steering fluid was low and, after inspection, found that I had a leak in my Rack and Pinion. I was told that it was a warrantable item, but since my car warranty just expired it would cost me approx. $1400! In talking with a few ppl. they mentioned that it was extremely rare that a Rack and Pinion should need to be replaced on a Toyota with only 80k miles. They mentioned that I should get a second opinion, which I am going to do on Monday morning, but I didn't know if anyone else has had such a problem? Also, what your opinions are on if the whole Rack and Pinion would need to be replaced if there is "just" a leak?

Thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
It Wasn't Me

Open a case with Toyota corpoate, they might do some sort of good faith deal and cover it, or split costs or something.

2011 Avalon Limited w/ Nav
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
#3 Old 01-08-2010, 12:15 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
This is all new to me...would you be able to tell me how to do such a thing? Or a link I can go to?
Thanks!
#4 Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
It Wasn't Me

I've never done it, I've read that people on this forum have. I believe the appropriate phone numbers exist in the owners manual somewhere on contacting Toyota. Their generic customer service line can probably get you to the right spot. They usually can work with your dealer to get some sort of agreeable solution.

2011 Avalon Limited w/ Nav
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4

Last edited by boosted-fc3s; 01-08-2010 at 12:18 PM.
#5 Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM
03' corolla 02' tundra

$387.99
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2873&ppt=C0031

You can get a rebuilt rack with a life time warranty from Oreilys for $387.99. The labor will triple this price if brought to any shop. Note they are problably also quoting the front end alignment that will be required after this new rack is installed. If you cant do this yourself and dont have a manly man willing to do it for you there is always hot shorts/tube top and a case of beer to lure your local shade tree mechanic into the right frame of mind.

Just an FYI my tundras rack had a small weeping leak on the passenger side seal that wasnt pouring out fluid but was enough to wet the cover boot with moisture. I took a turkey baster and sucked out my steering fluid (auto tranny III fluid) from the reservoir and replace with new auto tranny fluid. I did this process over the span of a month every day to slowly replace all the ole fluid with new without shocking the system. The leak stopped! The new tranny fluid sealed the leak by replenishing the seals I guess. I also changed out the rack bushings that seem to wear out fast on the tundras. If you search around in the other toyota makes forum you will find that the toyota rack does have a tendancy to weep. Ive read quite a few forums with ppl having similar problems.
If I were you Id evaluate the urgency of having this repaired first.
How much fluid is being lost?
Is it a weep like my rack?
What color is the fluid in the reservoir right now? If your car takes type III tranny fluid and its brown you could stand to change this out.
Does the rack or pump make strange loud noises when using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)