2005 Avalon Limited - Rear Sun Shade problem, help! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)

3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View 05-avalon-lmtd's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up 2005 Avalon Limited - Rear Sun Shade problem, help!

I use the rear sunshade in the summer months, but not all the time - just here and there.

There has never been a child, or anyone in the backseat who has ever messed with the rear shade, it either goes up or down, and has never been messed with.

Today I went to put the shade up, and all I heard was a click from the back area where the shade is. I tired it several times, but all I heard was a little click, and the shade did not go up.

I put the car in reverse (which causes the shade to go down when its up), I put the car in drive, then returned the car to park. I hit the button again, this time the shade came up.

Once the shade was all the way up, I waited a minute and pressed the button again. The shade arms started to fold down, then stopped. The shade will not go back down. I put the car in reverse, and it attempts to bring down the shade, but it wil not go down.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or experience with this type of problem?

I would like to know what might be the cause/solution.

My thinking is, its not the switch (because the signal is getting to the shade mechanism, I can hear a click back there, even if it doesn't go up or down).
I'm thinking it's not the motor, because it "did" go up, it just won't go back down. Although, it could be that the motor is weak, and not enough power to lift, or lower the shade?

I don't know, and am really looking forward to hearing some input.

Thanks!
05-avalon-lmtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Avalon Enthusiast

Gameroom cash: $158315
View inov8's Photo Gallery
The shop manual shows a relay, limit switch, and small motor as parts of the shade assembly.
I suspect what you hear is the relay operating (a faint click). They may have used a cheap DC motor and the brushes and/or commutator are beginning to wear out. If the shade seems to move just slightly each time you operate the switch, than the problem could be binding in the lift mechanism or gear assembly.
inov8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
'07 Avalon Limited

Gameroom cash: $451145
View Tom in Tacoma's Photo Gallery
On the other hand - it might be binding mechanically and that's what's preventing it from lowering.

I have a similar issue in that mine gets hung up going up. The dealership said it was misalignment and they wanted $250 to remove the back seat, rear shelf, etc. before they could even work on the shade. For what it's worth - they denied any extended-warranty coverage to fix it.

Please do let us know how it works out for ya.
Tom in Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View BGEagle's Photo Gallery
Rear Shade Problem Possible Solution

In my 2006 Avy, the shade got hung up several times and would not fold up and disappear as it is designed to do. I used some bicycle dry lube to lubricate the mechanism and it worked. Now the shade works as it should. Just be careful not to get the lubricant on the rear deck. You'll have to work with it but I'll bet you can fix it just with the lube.
BGEagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View Thegenius76's Photo Gallery
This is so weird! I have a 2005 Avalon and it has been great up to last month when the back sun shade get stuck. I rarely use it until the summer months. So a couple of weeks ago my wife let it up and it never when back down. Same issues with you all I hit the button I hear a click and it acts like it wants to go down but it acts like it gets stuck. After minutes of frustration, I put the car in reverse and click click click on the button and it finally goes down smoothly?? WTF????

I took it to Toyota and they want $95 big ones just to look at it. With that said I guess we will never be using the shade anytime soon.

BGeagle where did you put to oil/lube to make yours work again?
Thegenius76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View BGEagle's Photo Gallery
Here's What I Did

The two cross bars have small wheels on the ends that run in a channel in the top piece. I put the lube in that top piece in the channel. I also oiled the small wheels. Just be careful not to spill any on the rear deck.
BGEagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View avalon35's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Tacoma View Post
On the other hand - it might be binding mechanically and that's what's preventing it from lowering.

I have a similar issue in that mine gets hung up going up. The dealership said it was misalignment and they wanted $250 to remove the back seat, rear shelf, etc. before they could even work on the shade. For what it's worth - they denied any extended-warranty coverage to fix it.

Please do let us know how it works out for ya.

Are you saying that you had the complete toyota care coverage and they denied fixing it? Under what circumstance are they able to do this?
avalon35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
'07 Avalon Limited

Gameroom cash: $451145
View Tom in Tacoma's Photo Gallery
They said that the rear package shelf had shifted causing it to bind up. Doesn't matter - I fixed it by 'widening' the slot with a screwdriver - problem gone.

2007 Avalon Limited - Love this car!
Tom in Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View dl6917's Photo Gallery
Rear shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Tacoma View Post
They said that the rear package shelf had shifted causing it to bind up. Doesn't matter - I fixed it by 'widening' the slot with a screwdriver - problem gone.
I have had the problem where the shade will not go up, but it always goes down when you either shift into reverse or push the button. Relay is engaging each time as the click can be heard. Removed the assembly (takes < 15 minutes to remove seats, etc.) Tested the motor and it worked every time - looks like a well-built piece. Tore the mechanism apart thinking there was some binding (interesting mechanics inside) and found nothing. After reinstall it worked fine for about a year, but now will not go up at all. Next move I will connect VOM and see if motor is receiving voltage and trace back to relay on module. Best price I have found on module is $325.
dl6917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)