2008-2010 Avalon High Beam/DRL Bulbs Warranty Enhancement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2008-2010 Avalon High Beam/DRL Bulbs Warranty Enhancement

Just got my letter today..AND im having this issue for the past week..No Dealers are ready yet with parts,But im getting mine looked at today at 4,so they can order the parts.Im told they will replace the whole assemblies.

Silver on Black Limited.Paid In Full.20s,HighLander 19s,Mesh Grill,Tint,8k Heads/Fogs,Kicker-12s,2 Headrest Tvs, WeatherTech Set. HI Haters!!

Last edited by hghflyrjd1; 01-20-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Just got the word that YES BOTH WHOLE ASSEMBLIES will be replaced under this.

Silver on Black Limited.Paid In Full.20s,HighLander 19s,Mesh Grill,Tint,8k Heads/Fogs,Kicker-12s,2 Headrest Tvs, WeatherTech Set. HI Haters!!
#3 Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Official TN Member

I received the same letter too but don't know what to do with it. Haven't experience any issue. I have a 2008 Avalon Touring with HID light.

What do I need to do? TIA.

Jack
#4 Old 01-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsc4 View Post
I received the same letter too but don't know what to do with it. Haven't experience any issue. I have a 2008 Avalon Touring with HID light.

What do I need to do? TIA.

Jack
Well this is NOT A RECALL its a Warranty Enhancment so I think ONLY IF you have this issue come up with in the allowed miles and years they will replace them.But i would call some dealers near by.

#5 Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Official TN Member

I got this letter for my 2010 Avalon. My Passenger bulb literally shattered last Saturday night! I have glass all in the headlight assembly right now. Do you think this could apply? I hate that I just bought replacement bulbs today at AutoZone for $50...
#6 Old 01-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_i2001 View Post
I got this letter for my 2010 Avalon. My Passenger bulb literally shattered last Saturday night! I have glass all in the headlight assembly right now. Do you think this could apply? I hate that I just bought replacement bulbs today at AutoZone for $50...
IF it is a HIGH BEAM /DayTime Running Light YES...Im sure even if you just say you have had an issue recently with the highbeam/DTRL you can get this done.

#7 Old 01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Ridin Slow...

If U Receive This Letter I Suggest U Get It Done....When I Bought My 08 XLS 2 Days Off The Lot My High Beams Shattered....They Replaced Both Headlight Assemblies.....9 Months Later Everything Is Good

Avalonia Grey aka A.G.
JETS FOOOL!
#8 Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 PM
New TN User

I just purchased an 08 XLS. First of all...the drl's are the high beam bulbs not the xenon low beams? Concerning this warranty, I have 1 low beam xenon flickering and 1 high beam shattered. Does that qualify for 2 complete housing replacements? Talked to dealer today and he kind of seemed disinterested to say the least.
#9 Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=himey;3764402]I just purchased an 08 XLS. First of all...the drl's are the high beam bulbs not the xenon low beams? Concerning this warranty, I have 1 low beam xenon flickering and 1 high beam shattered. Does that qualify for 2 complete housing replacements? Talked to dealer today and he kind of seemed disinterested to say the least.[/QUOTE

YES we know our DRL from our headlights..DRL is the highbeam running on lower voltage,while not being used......... AND YES you SHOULD get 2 FULL replacement headlight assemblies since your DRL /High beam is shattered.

#10 Old 01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
New TN User

read carefully before being a smarta$$

[quote=hghflyrjd1;3764436]
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post
I just purchased an 08 XLS. First of all...the drl's are the high beam bulbs not the xenon low beams? Concerning this warranty, I have 1 low beam xenon flickering and 1 high beam shattered. Does that qualify for 2 complete housing replacements? Talked to dealer today and he kind of seemed disinterested to say the least.[/QUOTE

YES we know our DRL from our headlights..DRL is the highbeam running on lower voltage,while not being used......... AND YES you SHOULD get 2 FULL replacement headlight assemblies since your DRL /High beam is shattered.
Hghflyrjd1, if you'll reread my post carefully including the punctuation, you'll see that I was asking a question. I joined this forum and made my first post to get answers to the questions I have about a car that I'm not familiar with. I appreciate the help even if my questions are simple to some who own and are familiar with their car.
#11 Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Ridin Slow...

If You JUST Bought The Car....You Should Be furious....Quite Frankly U have To Go There And Tear Their Asses Up....Thats a Safety Hazard....This is a TSB,and They Should Handle This

Avalonia Grey aka A.G.
JETS FOOOL!
#12 Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
[quote=himey;3764951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hghflyrjd1 View Post

Hghflyrjd1, if you'll reread my post carefully including the punctuation, you'll see that I was asking a question. I joined this forum and made my first post to get answers to the questions I have about a car that I'm not familiar with. I appreciate the help even if my questions are simple to some who own and are familiar with their car.
First of all......-- It just seemed like you were telling us..But I did answer the question..Misundereading lol...But yes your dealer or a different dealer should be more then happy to fix this for you...I called 1 dealer the same day they told methey hadent heard of it yet and they could do anything yet,to call back in 2-3 weeks..I called the largest Toyota dealer near me and they set me right up.

#13 Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
New TN User

Thanks minus, it wasn't purchased from a Toyota dealership. It's going to the local Toyota dealer this Friday. Hopefully they'll take care of it like they should.
#14 Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Love the Open Road!

Warranty Enhancement Notice

Back when I had about 36,000 miles on the Avalon I was in Wyoming at about 2:00 AM when the high beams went out. When I got back home I had to have the bulbs replaced for a cost of $188. Then, at about 65,000 miles I noticed that when my headlights were on the left headlight would go out. I could get it on again by turning the lights off and on. My dealer said it was a bad bulb and to run it into the ground before I paid to replace it.

Now at 76,000 miles I decided to get it replaced. The Toyota dealer's new service manage informed me that there was to be a recall on the left and right headlamps. He also gave me the paperwork to get a refund for my $188 originally spent on the bulbs. I brought the car in last week and got the left and right front headlamp bulb housing assemblies replaced.

The notice from Toyota is titled: CERTAIN 2008 TO 2010 MODEL YEAR AVALON VEHICLES HIGH BEAM/DRL BULB WARRANTY ENHANCEMENT NOTICE

2012 Corolla S
2006 Tundra
#15 Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 PM
New TN User

How difficult to change DRLs/High Beams bulbs?

My 2008 Avalon has 91,000 miles. The right DRL/High Beam quit but there is no shattered housing, etc. My dealer has quoted me over $400 to replace the bulb. I of course choked, said no thank you and came home to do my research. Read up on the warranty enhancement and returned to chat with the service manager. He said "no" to covering this under warranty due to mileage. He insisted that the bulb was $246 and it would take his tech 1.5 hours to change it, thus the $400. He offered to give me a 15% discount because I was a good customer, so bulb and labor would be $360.

I had priced the bulb and knew I could buy it for well under $50. How difficult is it to change this bulb? Has anyone out there done this themselves? I crawled under the car to look and of course there is a cowling so I can't see. I had no trouble changing my left low beam even though it required pulling the battery and loosening the fuse box, so I feel like tearing into this one, too. But if it is a royal pain I may just take it to an indepentdent shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)