Power Steering Leak - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Nothings better!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Power Steering Leak

I noticed the other day that I had some type of oil all over the bottom side of my motor on the passenger side of my car. After light inspection it turned out it was power steering fluid. The next day I took my car to the dealership and they told me I needed a new power steering pump said it was leaking, but didnít give me any straight answers on where it was leaking from just said a bearing or maybe a crack. Obviously it leaks somewhere but it still works fine and doesnít make any noises. I pulled the front tire off and watched the pump while turning the wheel for about 10 min and didnít see where the leak was I think itís where one of the back hoses connects to the pump, or maybe where the pulley connects. Either way I bought a new one off eBay for $85 used off a crashed Camry and planned on doing it myself if itís easy enough (it looks moderately) or just taking it to the dealer and paying the labor for them to do it for me. The dealer wanted almost $700 to do the job with their parts which also makes me think they just want to fix stuff that doesnít need to be fixed. What do you guys think? Is it easy enough to take on myself? And do you think the dealer was just trying to rip me off? They want $180 for labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
$180 for labor is not unreasonable. Labor quote is based on the book and sounds like a couple hours job.
If I were you, I will try to do some online search like google, youtube to see if there is some DIY video, info out there. If you don't have the time/tool/skill.... just get the part and have someone else install for you.
I will double check to see where the leak is coming from 1st.
What year? how many miles?
#3 Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Nothings better!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It's a 2005 XLS with just under 137,000 miles it’s not leaking bad but is leaking. I ordered the pump this morning at around 4:30 A.M. off eBay and the seller already shipped it so it should be here within the next few days!
#4 Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateBohab View Post
It's a 2005 XLS with just under 137,000 miles itís not leaking bad but is leaking. I ordered the pump this morning at around 4:30 A.M. off eBay and the seller already shipped it so it should be here within the next few days!
I removed the pump when I replaced the left bank VVTi oil line. I didn't take it completely out, but pull it out from it's bracket.

It's a tight area, but get up under the passenger side. I just flushed my 2005 Avalon and used Dayco 3/8" 300 psi hose for the return line. At 30000 the return line was replaced by the dealer, but just recently began to seep on the ends and with 75 on it now, I just replaced it with this hose I have in bulk. While you're there, you MAY want to seriously consider replacing the hose from the reservoir to the pump. You have to get this from the dealer on this because of the bends/curves on it. I just did that on a Nissan Pathfinder and Toyota 4 Runner, both with over 180000 miles. Then, run about 3-4 quarts of Dextron III/IV to flush out your pump and also clean out your reservoir...I used Purple cleaner (diluted and hot water in a bucket) there are tiny screens at the bottom of the P/S reservoir. Low pressure air from your compressor. PITA? Yes...but better to do this once, do it right and much better than the dealership. FYI. Also consider using EFI hose clamps/bands where you can slightly tighten the return hose. I chucked my OEM pressure clamps...insufficient pressure/grab and return hose leaked. Radiator hoses tend to "cut" into the ATF/PS lines and you'll end up damaging these hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)