2011 front end creak - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2011 front end creak

My 2011 base has a front end creak over bumps/dips in driveways/roadway. Audible at low speed. Started around 3K [advised dealer and got it into computer] now at 18K more frequent and pronounced. Annoying and slightly embarrassing - had Hyundai-owning friends in car yesterday - their Santa Fe is very quiet.

Sound familiar to anyone with 'new' Avalon? TSBs? Yes, am going to see my dealer when current trip is done.

Many Thanks for data on any actual similar experiences.

Dyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Avalon Enthusiast

Can you be more specific as in which side it is coming from? Or is it not locate able? My first guess would be somewhere in the brake assembly.
#3 Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 AM
ToyoSan owner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I would suspect a spring or strut.
#4 Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Official TN Member

Ten cents says it's the strut mount; have your dealer closely inspect same.

Our '97 Avalon had this issue a week after we bought it; most pronounced when it's colder.

Here we are 15 years later and we never did anything about it and the car is still going strong.
#5 Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 AM
ToyoSan owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticfan View Post
Ten cents says it's the strut mount; have your dealer closely inspect same.

Our '97 Avalon had this issue a week after we bought it; most pronounced when it's colder.

Here we are 15 years later and we never did anything about it and the car is still going strong.

That strut has long since worn out many times over in 15 years.
#6 Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Official TN Member

I'm sure that's true but, oddly, it hasn't made any really noticeable difference in ride, or wear on the tires, for that matter.

I think in part I was so incensed there should be a problem like this on a new car, when I bought it new from the dealer in 1997, that I vowed never to replace the struts in response.

Turned out fine.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#7 Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 AM
ToyoSan owner

Garage
Quote:
I'm sure that's true but, oddly, it hasn't made any really noticeable difference in ride, or wear on the tires, for that matter.

I think in part I was so incensed there should be a problem like this on a new car, when I bought it new from the dealer in 1997, that I vowed never to replace the struts in response.

Turned out fine.

You don't notice how badly they were worn until you put new ones on. I'm sure they easily bottom out on some bumps.
#8 Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Official TN Member

See that's the weirdest thing: have done the bounce test on all four corners, car passed that fine. Loaded it up heavily for cross-country trip twice in the past year: not a single bottoming out. Kind of amazing, really. Doesn't lean in turns, either. The suspension is just noisy on cold mornings, but it always has been.

Last place I lived I wanted an FJ Cruiser to survive the roads, they were so bad; otoh I also saw lots of broken front windshields on same, which cooled my ardor.

The Avalon is an ideal car, really.

#9 Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Official TN Member

I know I am going to replace my struts soon. Nothing seems to be wrong with them - still smooth as silk, but it's about to turn over 100K miles soon. Time for serious maintenance.
#10 Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 PM
ToyoSan owner

Garage
Quote:
See that's the weirdest thing: have done the bounce test on all four corners, car passed that fine. Loaded it up heavily for cross-country trip twice in the past year: not a single bottoming out. Kind of amazing, really. Doesn't lean in turns, either. The suspension is just noisy on cold mornings, but it always has been.

Last place I lived I wanted an FJ Cruiser to survive the roads, they were so bad; otoh I also saw lots of broken front windshields on same, which cooled my ardor.

The Avalon is an ideal car, really.

If you're convinced that your struts are not worn out or will never need to be replaced, that's good. As long as you are content with it that's all that really matters.
#11 Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Official TN Member

I know they're worn out and ideally should be replaced, but at this point the cost/benefit ratio of doing so does not balance in favor of incurring the cost, that's all.

#12 Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
I know I am going to replace my struts soon. Nothing seems to be wrong with them - still smooth as silk, but it's about to turn over 100K miles soon. Time for serious maintenance.

Not an Avalon, but I replaced the struts/shocks on my brother's 03 Tacoma. It came with Tokico struts and shocks. The truck had 139000 miles and he thought the trucks ran fine. Installed Tokico and strut mounts up front. He noticed a remarkable difference in the ride, braking, turning and control. It's been my experience that once a car reaches 100k, the struts and mounts are shot and you won't notice until you remove them and then see how they either collapse (piston), piston sink into chamber and won't rebound and the strut mounts have many multiple crack (front wheel drive have usually have bearings in the strut mounts and they get worn as well) I'd rather go on the side of safety since shocks have a direct correlation to braking performance (tire surface to driving surface contact during braking). There are many alternatives, but shop around. I stay KYB, Tokico or Bilsteins.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CISA93 For This Useful Post:
2011 Avalon Limited (04-04-2012), Black Knight (04-04-2012)
#13 Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CISA93 View Post
Not an Avalon, but I replaced the struts/shocks on my brother's 03 Tacoma. It came with Tokico struts and shocks. The truck had 139000 miles and he thought the trucks ran fine. Installed Tokico and strut mounts up front. He noticed a remarkable difference in the ride, braking, turning and control. It's been my experience that once a car reaches 100k, the struts and mounts are shot and you won't notice until you remove them and then see how they either collapse (piston), piston sink into chamber and won't rebound and the strut mounts have many multiple crack (front wheel drive have usually have bearings in the strut mounts and they get worn as well) I'd rather go on the side of safety since shocks have a direct correlation to braking performance (tire surface to driving surface contact during braking). There are many alternatives, but shop around. I stay KYB, Tokico or Bilsteins.
I may or may not notice a difference after they are installed.

Regardless of if I notice a difference or not after I put in the new ones, I can have peace of mind knowing I replaced them BEFORE they went seriously bad. I try not to wait until things "go bad" before I replace them if they are a regular maintenance item.
#14 Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Official TN Member

Agreed; Toyota dealers I've gone to over the years have always been good about warning me of issues long before they became issues.

I'm only holding off on replacing the struts as it is an expense on the car I don't want to incur right now if I don't have to.

Anything can go on any car, new or old, any time; cars are complex machines, and stuff breaks.

I survived an engine failure on an American Airlines flight not long ago. That was scary. There was an army of emergency vehicles chasing us down the runway when we landed, fortunately we did land and didn't catch fire. I chalk that up partly to luck, partly to having a veteran pilot who handled the emergency with real expertise.

I'm sure AA does far more preventive maintenance than I do. This was on a 1989 MD-80. Probably needs the struts replaced.

#15 Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Agreed; Toyota dealers I've gone to over the years have always been good about warning me of issues long before they became issues.

I'm only holding off on replacing the struts as it is an expense on the car I don't want to incur right now if I don't have to.

Anything can go on any car, new or old, any time; cars are complex machines, and stuff breaks.

I survived an engine failure on an American Airlines flight not long ago. That was scary. There was an army of emergency vehicles chasing us down the runway when we landed, fortunately we did land and didn't catch fire. I chalk that up partly to luck, partly to having a veteran pilot who handled the emergency with real expertise.

I'm sure AA does far more preventive maintenance than I do. This was on a 1989 MD-80. Probably needs the struts replaced.

Anything mechanical is prone to wear and tear. When I worked at an import repair shop. I would tell customers "Everytime you turn the key, you pay in one form or another." Good to hear that you landed intact. Statistics being as they are used in everyday life, show there is a greater probability of getting into a vehicle collision than an aircraft mishap. I'd like to think if I lessen the probability of a problem that I can either eliminate or reduce, I chose on the side of safety (since struts have a direct impact on braking performance) Well, that being said...again . Be safe out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)