smart key locked in car - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
smart key locked in car

How do you unlock a 2007 avalon limited with both smart keys in locked in the car? My wife put both of our keys in her purse in the car then one of our grandkids hit the lock button on the outside of the handle. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Avalon Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10bird View Post
How do you unlock a 2007 avalon limited with both smart keys in locked in the car? My wife put both of our keys in her purse in the car then one of our grandkids hit the lock button on the outside of the handle. Can anyone help?
The car should not lock with the keys inside. I did that once and it gave a lock continuous beep and didnt stop until I removed the key from inside. I have a 06 Limited.

Edit- I also lock the car with the black button on the handle so the keys are either not inside the car or both batteries are ( Highly unlikely)

Last edited by SilenTempest; 04-29-2012 at 12:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SilenTempest For This Useful Post:
2011 Avalon Limited (04-30-2012)
#3 Old 04-29-2012, 02:38 PM
New TN User

I've tried to lock mine in the car and was unable to do so. I assume the trunk release button (on the outside) doesn't work either? Your batteries must be very weak in the remotes.
#4 Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
We finally got it open. Fortunately my wife works for a police department so they brought their tool kit. It was still very dificult. Hitting the unlock button wouldn't do it. Pulling the manual lever just triggered the alarm. We were lucky my keys were on top of my wife's purse in the seat. It took a bit but we finally hit the unlock button on the remote. These cars are very secure. Thanks for the replies.
The Following User Says Thank You to 10bird For This Useful Post:
2011 Avalon Limited (04-30-2012)
#5 Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Avalon Enthusiast

I am still confused why the car locked. It should never lock with both keys inside. I suggest talking to the dealer the next time you are there because it might be a malfunction in the remotes. I would also replace the batteries because my remote would not have a red indicator when a button was pressed but still functioned.
#6 Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM
'07 Avalon Limited

I also have an '07. The owner's manual tells you that you can not lock the smart-key remotes in the car. Something ain't right here.

2007 Avalon Limited - Love this car!
#7 Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Avalon Enthusiast

Im sure it is something with the remotes themselves. Either they are dead ( Unlikely ) or they are malfunctioning.
#8 Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 AM
ToyoSan owner

Garage
I tried locking my keys inside the car and the trunk when I first got my 11 Avalon Limited. The doors would not lock and the trunk would not lock with the keys inside the interior or the trunk. That's a great feature to me. I would hate to lock myself out and be stranded somewhere.
#9 Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Official TN Member

Same for the 750. It knows that the fob is in the car or trunk and it will not lock and TMK all systems have a similar feature as stated already for Toyota. On conventional cars without sealed bottoms like the 750, I keep the spare in a magnetic key holder just in case I lose the key on vacation- the spare does me no good hanging in the cabinet a thousand miles away. I keep it in a sealed small zip lock inside the magnetic holder. Not sure how this would work with a proximity key- might be too close to the interior for it to work- If I get a '13 Avy and there is any metal exposed underneath I'll give it a try.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
#10 Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
maybe the grandkids just manually locked the car? not from the button? Kids, who know what they can do
#11 Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Official TN Member

I wish the smartkeys of today followed MBs ofiginal 1997 design without having to hit a button on the door. My 750 requires a push of the door handle, simply lifting opens it- very good on opening. MB's design was to have the car unlock as you approached it and lock as you walked away without hitting any buttons. If I have to hit a button to lock the door, I might as well hit the fob in my pocket as i walk away, that is much more convenient and what I do with the 750. I gain nothing if I have to make a deliberate effort to push anything on the door to lock, that simply slows me down.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
#12 Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Official TN Member

Looks like those keys are not that smart, eh?
#13 Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Apparently I need to have a dealer check this out. I know the car was locked by the button because I was on the other side of the car when it happened.
#14 Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
ToyoSan owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
I wish the smartkeys of today followed MBs ofiginal 1997 design without having to hit a button on the door. My 750 requires a push of the door handle, simply lifting opens it- very good on opening. MB's design was to have the car unlock as you approached it and lock as you walked away without hitting any buttons. If I have to hit a button to lock the door, I might as well hit the fob in my pocket as i walk away, that is much more convenient and what I do with the 750. I gain nothing if I have to make a deliberate effort to push anything on the door to lock, that simply slows me down.
It only takes a second to push a button. What's the rush?
#15 Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Avalon Enthusiast

My wife on more than one occasion has managed to lock the car with the keyfob in her purse, after placing her purse in the trunk. But I could never recreate the event with my keyfob if I tossed it in the trunk. The car gave a long beep and refused to lock for me. So I swapped fobs with her. Lo and behold . . . still locked for her, but not for me. Wow, I thought, Avalons are even gender-sensitive! Must be a Japanese cultural thing.

It turns out the lock-or-not action depended on what else was in the purse along with the Smart (or not-so-smart, depending on your point of view) Key. When I placed my fob in a paper bag alomg with a keyring full of other keys, a metal business card case, and a couple of metal lipstick tubes, the car then locked with the key inside just fine. Apparently, metal objects interfere with the fob-to-car communications.

Take-away message to wife: don't store the SmartKey in your purse and you'll be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to inov8 For This Useful Post:
SilenTempest (04-30-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)