Transmission fluid change - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 PM
ToyoSan owner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tones View Post
What way is that? There was nothing abnormal here, just routine stuff. I've had the car since new so I could tell it wasn't shifting quite the way it did when new. Changing the fluid helped it feel like it did when new. Probably just the viscocity boost from new fluid.
That seems early to replace the transmission fluid. I did not see an exact mileage in the maintenance schedule. I only saw where it says to inspect the fluid. I guess it depends on how the car is driven and where it is driven. As long as it helped your car, it's all good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-30-2012, 04:50 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok so we agree that just draining the trans does not get all the trans fluid out. there will be some in the trans cooler,tc, ect... so if i want to switch to Mobil 1 or Amsoil, its it ok to mix synthetic oil and regular oil? Do they mix or will it do more harm than good?
#33 Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM
ToyoSan owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightaway View Post
ok so we agree that just draining the trans does not get all the trans fluid out. there will be some in the trans cooler,tc, ect... so if i want to switch to Mobil 1 or Amsoil, its it ok to mix synthetic oil and regular oil? Do they mix or will it do more harm than good?
Just make sure whatever you are using meets the manufacturers specifications. I used Amsoil synthetic ATF in my 02 Nissan Maxima doing drain and fills and never had a problem.

#34 Old 12-30-2012, 06:25 PM
New TN User

with the amsoil, how many miles do you do your drain and fills with between changes?
#35 Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
with the amsoil, how many miles do you do your drain and fills with between changes?
I'm sure you read about 100,000 miles and lifetime, ect. First, Whatever you're going to spend performing this flush far outweighs the cost of a transmission. First, in hot weather, the radiator has a cooling sleeve or tank where the fluid runs through. So if you've recently had your engine overheat or approach the overheat area, that fluid is also getting cooked. I use BG synthetic. it comes in 8, 12 and 16 gallon boxed containers. I changed the filter/gasket and then do a complete flush. My experience over the years that about 80,000 is a good mileage to flush out and change out any filter, clean any pan magnets. The Avalon transmission is "WS" (world standard) and the BG fluid is compatible. I know that Royal Purple as well as AMS oil make similar products. Good luck...it's a messy, but simple task! Just check you local BG retailer....garages usually use them. In addition, I can understand what a PITA it would be to perform this task without a dipstick because that's where you usually pour/refill. I wonder if there is a place on these post 2006 transmission to insert the tube and dipstick? The transmission is the same. You might want to have this done if this is a 'closed" or 'sealed" transmission, If you cannot, seriously consider having that filter, magnets and pan cleaned. Why run perfectly clean oil through a dirty filter?

Last edited by CISA93; 12-30-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: additional information
#36 Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
New TN User

i'm new to the avalon, what is "ws"?and can you order BG online?
#37 Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 PM
05 Avalon Limited

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
what is "ws"?a
Here
#38 Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 PM
ToyoSan owner

Garage
Quote:

#39 Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM
New TN User

thanks. i didnt know that it was fluid. i thought it was the transmission model number. almost like a chasis number. i was reading some of the links that came under the google search. Is the ws just a regular trans fluid? what are my options for synthetic trans that meet the toyota ws standards?
#40 Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The Toyota WS automatic transmission fluid is a lighter viscosity fluid - lighter than say Dexron-III.

A tech on the Camry forum(28 yrs. Toyota dealer experience) says the AMSOIL product is as good or maybe better. Just stating what I've read over there.

I drain and refill my '06 Avalon XL(has a dipstick) every 25K. Has about 151K on it now. I might pull the pan and wash the reusable mesh filter one of these days. Then again - I might not.

Still running the original spark plugs, upper/lower radiator hoses and serpentine belt.
#41 Old 12-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Read what Toyota says

Quote:
i'm new to the avalon, what is "ws"?and can you order BG online?
Go here:

Transmission fluid change

and see my post #6 ......

Read TSB - TC010-07

and note the following:

1) Toyota says you never need to change the (synthetic) world standard fluid. However, most agree doing it at 100,000 miles is a good idea.

2) Toyota WS fluid is not compatable with other fluids.

3) The procedure for changing the fluid is complex if you have a six speed with no dipstick. Do it wrong and you can do more harm than good.

Last edited by Paul3637; 12-31-2012 at 08:00 AM.
#42 Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Senior TN Member

#43 Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrx7conv View Post
Toyota's lowest bid craptastic MPG ATF is a poor performer. I haven't seen a UOA with over 30k that was acceptable...
I agree. From everything I have seen, the fluid needs a refresher by 30k.
#44 Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Avalon Limited View Post
30,000 miles flush or refill on the ATF? That seems awfully low mileage for synthetic. My BG representative told me that BG doesn't indicate a certain mileage because of the various factors (frequency of use, atmospheric conditions, ect). I've just kept an eye on the "color" of the ATF and used that as an indicator and always remove the pan to clean. Brake cleaner if it's a metal screen and done! I don't use any flushing chemicals.
#45 Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
ToyoSan owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CISA93 View Post
30,000 miles flush or refill on the ATF? That seems awfully low mileage for synthetic. My BG representative told me that BG doesn't indicate a certain mileage because of the various factors (frequency of use, atmospheric conditions, ect). I've just kept an eye on the "color" of the ATF and used that as an indicator and always remove the pan to clean. Brake cleaner if it's a metal screen and done! I don't use any flushing chemicals.
Refill in my case. It was what I did on my 02 Maxima every 30,000 miles because that's what the service manual recommended. I had a full flush done with BG universal synthetic ATF before I gave that car to my niece. I know it will last a long time before needing to be serviced again. That's the main reason I did it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)