P0015 code 2006 Limited - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
P0015 code 2006 Limited

2006 Avalon Limited: getting a P0015 code. My mechanic says it has to do with cam sensors(?) "cam pos actuator b bank 1: timing over retarded." Dealer told mechanic that they've never seen one of these sensors go and to check the wiring harness for damage; mechanic found none. 153,000 miles. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Avalon Enthusiast

There are 4 camshaft sensors (sometimes called VVT sensors); one for each intake and exhaust valve cam. Since the replacement parts references list only one part number, I assume they are all identical. This means the 2 sensors on bank 1 could be swapped to see if the fault code changes. Price listed by discount Dealer sources is less than $100, and they are each retained by a single bolt.

Unfortunately, according to the factory service manual, Bank 1 is the row of cylinders closest to the firewall, so access to at least one of the sensors may be blocked by the intake manifold. I don't know if "actuator B" references the intake or exhaust cam, but I do wish Toyota would use consistent terminology.
These sensors contain a permanent magnet, and such magnets tend to weaken over time as they accumulate thermal cycles (this effect would be worse in cold climates, like North Dakota, for example). So I don't trhink it is unreasonable to experience some failures after 150K miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to inov8 For This Useful Post:
brewerr (08-07-2012)
#3 Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
New TN User

Problems with cam sensors are not common. Most likely a faulty vvt oil control valve or camshaft vvt gear, they are common problems. The sensor is not listed as a cause for the code, but should still be checked for proper operation.
The Following User Says Thank You to justin77 For This Useful Post:
brewerr (08-09-2012)
#4 Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 PM
New TN User

If your car was still under warantee, it might be eligible for repair under TSB-0094-09, March 19,2009. This TSB gives a good idea of what might be necessary.
Is the engine making a ticking noise while running? If so, this TSB definitely applies.
The Following User Says Thank You to XXagon For This Useful Post:
brewerr (08-09-2012)
#5 Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
P0015

The check engine light came on again after 2 months and my mechanic got the same code so he suggested I take it to the dealer. The repair was done by the dealer. To quote the invoice:

"Found 1 code P0015 camshaft overretarded found 2tsbs for this: one to replace all camshafts and gears second to replace oil control valve. Replaced oil control valve bank 1 exhaust side as per code verified proper operation of VVTI system. If codes return may need many engine parts as per other tsb".
#6 Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM
New TN User

Does anyone know what is involved with changing the oil control valve? I too have this same code, and just trying to figure out if it is something I can tackle myself or if I have to take it to the dealer. If I need to rip the entire top of the engine apart to replace a cam then I am not going to even bother trying it myself ...
#7 Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRacer302 View Post
Does anyone know what is involved with changing the oil control valve? I too have this same code, and just trying to figure out if it is something I can tackle myself or if I have to take it to the dealer. If I need to rip the entire top of the engine apart to replace a cam then I am not going to even bother trying it myself ...
The oil control valve usually has a filter screen so make sure you clean that first before you change any parts. If your screen gets clogged it will throw a CEL and code. You should have 2 oil control valve filter screens on the 2GR-FE engine. They are located inside the union on each oil pipe that connects into the front of each of the Cylinder head covers. These are the oil feed lines to the VVT system on each bank. This is a fairly involved procedure to replace as most of the accessory drive system is in the way. If you do remove these filters you may want to replace the line on the left bank (the one with the rubber hose) with a full metal line or at least get the upgraded hose for it. BTW, you do not need to remove the valve covers or open the engine to clean these. If you have to replace the valve you may have to remove the valve cover. I am going by a service manual so I have not actually looked at it.

Basically to check the screen you need to remove the union bolt on the top of each oil pipe and the screen is inside. Then you need a new gasket for each one. They are on top of the engine and may be easy to do. Just depends on what is in the way.

2012 Avalon, 2008 Rav4

Last edited by Yota3; 03-20-2013 at 10:45 AM.
#8 Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota3 View Post
The oil control valve usually has a filter screen so make sure you clean that first before you change any parts. If your screen gets clogged it will throw a CEL and code. You should have 2 oil control valve filter screens on the 2GR-FE engine. They are located inside the union on each oil pipe that connects into the front of each of the Cylinder head covers. These are the oil feed lines to the VVT system on each bank. This is a fairly involved procedure to replace as most of the accessory drive system is in the way. If you do remove these filters you may want to replace the line on the left bank (the one with the rubber hose) with a full metal line or at least get the upgraded hose for it. BTW, you do not need to remove the valve covers or open the engine to clean these. If you have to replace the valve you may have to remove the valve cover. I am going by a service manual so I have not actually looked at it.

Basically to check the screen you need to remove the union bolt on the top of each oil pipe and the screen is inside. Then you need a new gasket for each one. They are on top of the engine and may be easy to do. Just depends on what is in the way.
Assuming when you say gaskets, you meant "crush washers"? I replaced that left bank oil line with an all metal line and cleaned out that screen. I suspect over time that plastic encased metal screen will clog or deteriorate. Perhaps it's a good thing to change it out when the mileage gets up around 100,000? That rubber hose was just an asinine design and all the postings I've read that "You can't change that out" I got my information on this forum, took phtographs when I did mine and then turned around and shared it with other forum members!

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)