HID Fog Light Kit - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
HID Fog Light Kit

Thinking of going HID on the fogs. The low beams are already HID (4300k +). The fog lights look quite idiotic as they are halogen, looks like candle light in comparison. I'm going to go silver star for the highs.

Any thoughts as to what brand, or specific kit?

I was wondering, did Toyota offer the 06 with HID's?

Also, anybody try LED's in the tail lights? I'm not talking about those rice burner lights, I'm talking about LED replacement bulbs to go into the factory tail lights.

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 Nautical Blue Tundra Crewmax, Limited, 5.7, 4x4, TRD Off Road.
2006 Silver Avalon, Limited, Nav, Remote Start, Laser Cruise

Last edited by BigNuge; 01-23-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
HID Fog Light Kit

So, I pulled the trigger on an HID kit for my Avalon fog lights.

Got it from these guys: http://hidkitxenonlights.com/

I'll report back on the install and results.

The Following User Says Thank You to BigNuge For This Useful Post:
mad212 (01-23-2013)
#3 Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Honestly you shouldn't put HIDs in the fogs, they were not meant for HIDs, the focus of HID lights are different from Hallogen so basically what you are going to do is create "hot spots" with too much foreground light (yes that is possible). It causes not only fatigue on your eyes but with the reflection of HID fogs you will start blind oncoming traffic. Fogs aren't even supposed to be on all the time at night as even regular hallogen fogs create eye fatigue, I used to drive with them on all the time at night until I realized that after a while they were making my forward vision at night diminish and I actually could see better/farther without the fogs under normal night driving conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to mos805 For This Useful Post:
BigNuge (01-24-2013)
#4 Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
HID Fog Light Kit

I appreciate your input. I can't say I agree with your assessment. The current halogen fogs are utterly useless. If it weren't for a very small amount of glow towards the outboard sides of the nose I would not even know they are on. When viewed from the front they look like candle light (nice if your trying to romance the little lady, not for driving). I am going to continue with the install when the kit arrives. If I find it to have an adverse effect I am not opposed to pulling the kit out and going to a premium halogen again.

#5 Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
That is the only purpose that fogs are supposed to serve, to allow you to see the sides of the road during foggy conditions. Mine actually project a little outwards though so idk if the 06s are a worse design than the 09s..
#6 Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Official TN Member

Shortly after I purchased by Avalon, I increased the OE HIDs to 7000 Kelvin. I also removed up regular high beams and installed an upgrade kit through GO HID...I have done about 6 cars with very good results. Vincent was the owner and I believe he joined up with another distributor and now they're known as United HID (google it) Anyway, they were getting their kits out of Germany and Japan. I've installed the cheaper ballast on a Chrysler T/C minivan. Now the igniters (now they are "digital, so it's one unit) but that was Made in China..last about 14 months and had to start all over again. I just went with Sylvania Ultras on the fog lights...the upgrade on the low beams and the new high beams is awesome on the open highway. It has excellent covereage. One thing to keep in mind, is that you cannot run your day time running lights (DRLs) on HIDs...that will burn out the bulbs/ballasts. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNuge View Post
Thinking of going HID on the fogs. The low beams are already HID (4300k +). The fog lights look quite idiotic as they are halogen, looks like candle light in comparison. I'm going to go silver star for the highs.

Any thoughts as to what brand, or specific kit?

I was wondering, did Toyota offer the 06 with HID's?

Also, anybody try LED's in the tail lights? I'm not talking about those rice burner lights, I'm talking about LED replacement bulbs to go into the factory tail lights.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to CISA93 For This Useful Post:
BigNuge (01-25-2013)
#7 Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
HID Fog Light Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CISA93 View Post
Shortly after I purchased by Avalon, I increased the OE HIDs to 7000 Kelvin. I also removed up regular high beams and installed an upgrade kit through GO HID...I have done about 6 cars with very good results. Vincent was the owner and I believe he joined up with another distributor and now they're known as United HID (google it) Anyway, they were getting their kits out of Germany and Japan. I've installed the cheaper ballast on a Chrysler T/C minivan. Now the igniters (now they are "digital, so it's one unit) but that was Made in China..last about 14 months and had to start all over again. I just went with Sylvania Ultras on the fog lights...the upgrade on the low beams and the new high beams is awesome on the open highway. It has excellent covereage. One thing to keep in mind, is that you cannot run your day time running lights (DRLs) on HIDs...that will burn out the bulbs/ballasts. Good luck
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've done a ton of research & reading on going HID for any part of the lighting. The Avalon uses its high beams (reduced voltage) for DRL's. For that reason I knew I couldn't go HID on the high beam's. I ended up going with Sylvainia XFE's for the highs (very happy with them). The HID kit I ended up going with is German. I can't wait to get it in and install it!

I'll report back with pics when it's done.

#8 Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Avy N Camry

BigNuge I have an 06 LTD and had 3000K fogs at one point and now I have 6000K 35W DDMTuning HID kit. it looks great but they are more blue than the oem which is 4300K looks a little funny but ended up buying 6000K for the head as well. The foglights have been in my car for over 3 years with no damage to the foglight housing.

One other thought though. when I had the 3000K installed, there was a noticable amount of light on the sides and I believe that they give you better night vision than the 6000K in the fogs.

If you want cheap but reliable HID kits, go with DDM Tuning. for $30 a kit you can't go wrong and lifetime warranty. I have kits in all my cars and have not had one go bad yet!

I did notice that you have a ltd Avy with Remote start, is it OEM? the one that you have to press the silver remote 3 times and hold to start? If so I would appreciate if you could tell me something about it. In cold weather does it override the climate control system and turn on the front and rear defrosters?

I am asking because mine did until the ECU failed. The dealer replaced the ecu and now it does not do this override. it just leaves the system in auto and due to the cold weather you know that it does not start blowing right away so when I get out there the car is still freezing.
#9 Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
HID Fog Light Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeranr View Post
BigNuge I have an 06 LTD and had 3000K fogs at one point and now I have 6000K 35W DDMTuning HID kit. it looks great but they are more blue than the oem which is 4300K looks a little funny but ended up buying 6000K for the head as well. The foglights have been in my car for over 3 years with no damage to the foglight housing.

One other thought though. when I had the 3000K installed, there was a noticable amount of light on the sides and I believe that they give you better night vision than the 6000K in the fogs.

If you want cheap but reliable HID kits, go with DDM Tuning. for $30 a kit you can't go wrong and lifetime warranty. I have kits in all my cars and have not had one go bad yet!

I did notice that you have a ltd Avy with Remote start, is it OEM? the one that you have to press the silver remote 3 times and hold to start? If so I would appreciate if you could tell me something about it. In cold weather does it override the climate control system and turn on the front and rear defrosters?

I am asking because mine did until the ECU failed. The dealer replaced the ecu and now it does not do this override. it just leaves the system in auto and due to the cold weather you know that it does not start blowing right away so when I get out there the car is still freezing.
Thanks for the info on the HID kits! I went with 4300k for the fogs, I wanted the same temperature lights as the lows.

The remote start is OEM. I have not noticed if it overrides and forces the defrosters on. One thing I don't like (and intend to get rectified) is that it only runs the engine for 10 minutes. We have had sub-zero nights & single digits above zero days this week and 10 minutes is not nearly enough. I am under the impression that the dealership (or anyone with the cable & software) can change this timing. I want 15 minutes minimum, I would prefer 20 minutes. I don't intend to start my car 20 minutes early every day, but in this cold weather I WANT the option to.

The next time I start it remotely (later today) I will let you know if the overrides work like you asked.

Last edited by BigNuge; 01-25-2013 at 09:17 AM.
#10 Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Avy N Camry

Thanks, I appreciate it. I too hate the fact that it only does 10 min. unfortunately this "feature" is not programmable. the RES will run for 10 minutes then shut off. you can restart the car one additional time for another 10 min. then thats it!! it will not restart again until you manually start and stop the car.

I see that you are new to the Avy and would like to help you get to know your great car better. here is a link to tons of files to service/repair/modify your car http://www.4shared.com/folder/JCtud-PA/Toyota.html that I have gotten through my subscription with Toyota's TIS (Technical Information System) website https://techinfo.toyota.com/ here if you want to get more information. Feel free to use/download any files from my 4shared account.

If you are looking to customize your car, you could consider a body kit also. I have one on my Avy and it changes the look a lot. Slightly lowers the car and makes it look more aggressive.
#11 Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
HID Fog Light Kit

Thank you for the access to that info! I really appreciate it.

I probably won't go the body kit road. I am more of a subtle mod & upgrade kind of guy.

Thanks again for the info!

#12 Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 PM
New TN User

fyi. ddmtuning.com has very nice HID kit, ive used their kits on most of my car and motorcycles. I would stick to the 35w ballast for the fog lights though, the 55w's are overkill even for headlights.
#13 Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
HID Fog Light Kit

Well the kit came in today. Good quality components! I would post pics if this forum would let me but its s no-go.....

Install is going to be this weekend. I'll report back on the results.

#14 Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Official TN Member

I was about to post a thread about headlight upgrades because I honestly hate the setup of my '06 Touring. The fogs I plan on replacing with identical (or at least similar sized) housing Hellas or Cibies if I can source a set, with a relay harness installed to ensure they get full voltage and add the capability to run higher wattage bulbs if I find a pair I really like. In this case I'll be sticking with halogens and as close to a 3000K color temp as I can. I've come to the conclusion after years of experience driving in some nasty fog conditions that 3000K is the best coloration for fog lights, since their purpose is to better illuminate the area right in front of you in foggy or generally adverse conditions. Contrary to what alot of people believe, their purpose is NOT to make you more visible to other drivers.

For the low beams I have yet to do much research, but what really bothers me I honestly don't think I can change. I've become so used to the high wattage Hella ECE H4s on my Land Cruiser (upgraded several years ago, also using a relay harness I built to allow for 100/90W Narva H4 bulbs) that anything else at all just pales in comparison. Even all the HID lights I've seen. I just far prefer the beam pattern of ECE projectors. I think for the OEM low beams I'll likely just look for a 5000K replacement module, and throw a pair of Hella or Narva replacement bulbs in the high beams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)