I think that's what the mechanic means:
1) Spark plugs --- $350 so he can pay his rent
2) Throttle body service -- $70 so he can make his car payment
3) Fuel injection service -- $130 so he can call you a sucker
4) Transmission flush -- $130 so he can say he charges less than the dealer
5) Coolant flush -- $130 so he can go happy hour after his shift.
I understand what they want you to do on your car because that's their business. The whole idea is to make profit, nothing wrong. You just need to think about what you really need.
My 05 has 97K miles as well. I did can my Throttle body and "Mass air sensor?" for less than $10.
I put "injector cleaner" on my car every 1-2K miles for $5 (from Costco)
No plan on doing spark plug since the car run and drive smooth and without any issue.
No plan on flushing coolant since I alway keep track on it and looks fine.
May do a tranny fluid though when it hit 100K.
The reason I drive Toyota is the low cost of upkeep. It's not a BMW that requires constant funding