Window vibration when windows roll down - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-24-2013, 02:36 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Window vibration when windows roll down

Hello,

I have a 2005 Limited and whenever I roll any of the windows down it does a quick rattle vibration like its trying to pull away from something thats sticking then it continues to roll. It would be 1 thing of it was just 1 window however its all 4 windows. I thought originally thought maybe some of the rubber molding I seen on the windows, (maybe from the days it was hot over the course of years) were the reason and wiped all the black stuff off the windows with goop. Didnt work. I didnt realize how bad it was until I moved my old 2001 Avalon I'm selling and they rolled down so smooth..

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Try spraying some DRY silicone lubricant into the tracks where the windows slides up and down. Don't use wet silicone because it will attract dirt and aggravate the problem.

I've seen it so bad that if the driver's door was open and you pushed the switch to make the window go down, the whole door would vibrate.

Dry tracks stress regulators and motors. Also, when there is ice and snow on the windows, don't try to move them. If they won't move, then the auto down switch is still trying to make the window move down, even though your finger is off the switch. Scrape the window and keep the tracks lubricated and you will probably never have to replace a window regulator or motor.

Mine : 2009 Avalon XL Magnetic Gray Metallic
Hers : 2010 RAV4 Base 2.5 AWD Pacific Blue Metallic

If I have helped, please hit the thanks button.
The Following User Says Thank You to FixItt For This Useful Post:
Lyvewire (09-24-2013)
#3 Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I'm definitely going to give this a shot! Asap.. I'm guessing I can buy this dry silicone at maybe Home Depot maybe? Also do I spray this while windows are up or down?

Thanks!!!

I'll definitely report once I try in case anyone else has this issue

Last edited by Lyvewire; 09-24-2013 at 07:43 PM.
#4 Old 09-28-2013, 02:37 PM
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT

dry silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyvewire View Post
I'm definitely going to give this a shot! Asap.. I'm guessing I can buy this dry silicone at maybe Home Depot maybe? Also do I spray this while windows are up or down?

Thanks!!!

I'll definitely report once I try in case anyone else has this issue
You should be able to find it at any auto parts store. 3M makes good stuff. You get the window all the way down, and using the nozzle, spray into the slots where the window goes up and down. You don't need to spray in the upper horizontal slot, just the vertical slot and the angled slot at the front of the window. Don't use a whole can on one window. A can should last 30-40 cars, so use sparingly. Any residue on the glass can be removed with glass cleaner.

Lyvewire (10-02-2013)
#5 Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixItt View Post
You should be able to find it at any auto parts store. 3M makes good stuff. You get the window all the way down, and using the nozzle, spray into the slots where the window goes up and down. You don't need to spray in the upper horizontal slot, just the vertical slot and the angled slot at the front of the window. Don't use a whole can on one window. A can should last 30-40 cars, so use sparingly. Any residue on the glass can be removed with glass cleaner.
I ended up buying the Krylon brand before you responded. It didnt work but I will try the brand you recommended today. Hopefully it works. I ended getting a little on black plastic corner piece that wont come off. I'm going to try Goop I think or Goof! to get it off. Thanks for getting back
#6 Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 PM
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT

I was thinking more about this, and I may have gone in the wrong direction. Are you getting a single "pop" when you roll the window down like it is stuck? If so, this is a common issue. If you power the window back up and immediately power it down, does the pop happen again? If not, then the window is stuck in the guides and is usually caused by dirt adhering to the glass. You will see a line around the perimeter of the glass where the dirt has attached. Cleaning this and using dry silicone lube should reduce the sticking.

I was thinking the glass was sticking all the way down, so that is why I suggested lubing the tracks with silicone. You need to clean the glass first, paying attention to the top of the glass where it goes up into the door.

joedr (12-31-2013)
#7 Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM
2011 Limited

+1. The single pop was happening on my cars & I washed the windows thoroughly, inside & out, paying particular attention to the tops of each one. After some vigorous rubbing the top 1/2" was clean & the sticking noise stopped. Didn't need the silicone.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money.
#8 Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixItt View Post
I was thinking more about this, and I may have gone in the wrong direction. Are you getting a single "pop" when you roll the window down like it is stuck? If so, this is a common issue. If you power the window back up and immediately power it down, does the pop happen again? If not, then the window is stuck in the guides and is usually caused by dirt adhering to the glass. You will see a line around the perimeter of the glass where the dirt has attached. Cleaning this and using dry silicone lube should reduce the sticking.

I was thinking the glass was sticking all the way down, so that is why I suggested lubing the tracks with silicone. You need to clean the glass first, paying attention to the top of the glass where it goes up into the door.
I have 2 full cans of dry silicone (3M and Kryon) in my cabinet because I had gave up. I think I remember even trying goop at the top of my windows to see if it would help since that build up, (looks like black rubber dirt) was visible. It didnt work.

It does "pop". 3 of 4 of my windows do this and cant figure out why. Annoying but I got used to it. Always open to try something else.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 3rd Generation (2005-2012)