Toyota Nation Forum banner

08 Touring high cold idle help - does seem normal?

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  northstar1958 
#1 ·
It's been bugging me for a while now that I've just started driving it, and I had to post to get an answer, does my 08 touring seem to be abnormally high, idle wise;
-starts up and runs at nearly 1500 rpm idle
-takes about 30 seconds to a minute to settle down to 1000 rpm
-finally settles in to 750 rpm after 5 min of sitting...so sayith the oem tach.
This just seems too high to me - 1000 rpm for 30 sec would be ok, then settle in to 750 rpm.
Whats normal hot idle- btw?{in drive or park - I don't have a shop manual}
Maybe the gas pedal/spring mod is too tight or something..... thoughts/comments?

Add- this is when the car sits in the morning, with no movement. If I'm in a hurry she clunks into gear harder than I like, so I've let her sit and warm up alittle.

#4 ·
I would be more concerned about the transmission clunk.

I changed sparks plugs last June with 162,000 miles on the odometer. After that I noticed a slight increase in idle...may 100-150 rpm. The car is now right at 190,000 miles and doing fine.

Not saying this is what you're dealing with - just making mention of it.

Reactions: Bobs 08 avalon
#6 ·
You might want to look at the 5th & 6th Generation Camry forum. Likely more activity over there and that vehicles uses the same engine as your Avalon. I'm speculating that the throttle body and other devices relevant to engine idle are the same or very similar.

Reactions: Bobs 08 avalon
#9 ·
09 Avalon with 97,000 miles. Starts and idles just like yours Bob. 1400-1500 rpm at start up, 20- 30 seconds later its around 1000, then settles in the 700 range. Its always started that way. Like you, i;ve always felt it was a tad high at startup but figured it was standard procedure. No clunks like yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.