Toyota Nation Forum banner

How to replace the Evaporator: A/C problem

22K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  retiredat444 
#1 ·
Hello - my Corolla's A/C stopped functioning. The A/C kicks in but the AIR isnt very cold. I took it to a mechanic and he stated that the evaporator was bad and gave me a $650.00 estimate to change the Evaporator.

Does this make sense? I am not suire if he stated whether th evaporator was leaking oil and i am not sure if the Freon is still there.

Is it easy to change the evaporator or shalli leave it to the pros?

thanks

#2 ·
What model Corolla do you have? It would not be hard to change the evaporator on my Corollas (1990), but after doing this, the AC must be refilled with refrigerant and oil. In the USA only a professional shop can do the refill with Freon (R12). Does your AC have R12 or R134a?

#3 ·
some cars have an in-line filter to the evaporator. Not sure if corollas have them but what your going through I had similar on a Pontiac. I took out the filter, (low pressure side) cleaned with hot water, refilled freon and it was awesome. My 91 SR5 has R12 from factory never recharged it and still works perfectly. It still has the same Alternator and Starter from factory too.

#4 ·
Its very easy, at least on my 1989 Corolla. I had to take mine and and clean the evaporator, and replace the expansion valve. Very easy. After removing the refrigererant, you take out the glove box, disconnect the in/out a/c line ont he firewall. and remove the box it is encased it, behind the glove box. R&R the expansion valve, reasemble, pull vacuum, also replace your filter/drier. refill (I converted mine to R134a) it was originally R12.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.