How long will my Corolla last? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Archived Corolla threads

Archived Corolla threads Older Archived Corolla threads

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2003, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View twilight1470's Photo Gallery
How long will my Corolla last?

Hi,

I bought a 94 Corolla that has only been driven 40k miles, and appears to be in decent-good condition.

How long will the engine/car last? Do the engine bolts and parts usually stay strong for a long time even as they get older? It is reasonable to hope to drive this thing another 5 years?

Thanks
twilight1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2003, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
In Ur MOM's Pants

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View RedruM's Photo Gallery
forget 5 years

that thing can last you atleast another 10 if you really wont it to
Old 07-22-2003, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

View 4Aaron GE's Photo Gallery
Mt bro's 93 chassis has survived past 200000 miles. If you take care if it properly, it'l last..... uh..... a really long time.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View 1owner's Photo Gallery
These cars tend to last a long time even with neglect. If you want it to last, develop a proper maintenance routine. Develop a sensitivity towards the car so that if anything isn't 100% you will know and get it tended to. Be careful not to let little things that need fixing slide. If you do, one day you'll end up with tons of little stuff to fix and you won't be as motivated to fix it if everything else is going. If it is a non-clearance engine, a broken timing belt will cost you tons to fix if it snaps, causing a valve & piston to meet.
I'm not sure which area you are from in the U.S., but if in the rust belt or near the ocean you must always keep the body touched up & waxed, even more so in areas that are hidden from view (wheel lips, behind bumpers, lower rockers, under the windsheild molding). Those hidden areas are where rust often starts (don't ever let it get started and you will be miles ahead). Make sure your weatherstrip is always in good shape. If it isn't, water and crap could accumulate and rust out the lower doors or whatever. Keep junk out of your cowl. That out to keep you busy for a long time, but before you know it a decade will pass.
I recently wrote off my 14 year old Corolla GT-S . Everything worked on it despite 13 winters in the rust belt and 355+ kilometers (about 225k miles). It had plenty of miles left on it, but because the body was solid it could still make a great rebuilder if you don't mind front clipping it and replacing some crunched mechanicals. There's no reason why your car couldn't last as well, epecailly if you have a good game plan for maintenance.
'84 Honda XL350R (1owner)
All mint!
1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
since 1996

View Voodoo.Priest's Photo Gallery
I have a 1986 Corolls and it still runs. It was almost all fixed.... almost.... ****en Maaco.
Voodoo.Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View twilight1470's Photo Gallery
thanx, sounds good.
twilight1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
I don't hate C3H8

View rezzle's Photo Gallery
I turned my first car's engine into an Ice racer ... 1972 Toyota Corolla Part of the engine is still alive and well - the same block crank and rods are being run in a N/A road race car. When I sold my 1984 Celica it had between 400K and 500K Km on it .. I'll never really know the OD was turned back when I bought it and showed 413 some when I sold it. It never used oil. Only Toyota I broke was my 4age Corolla. It wasn't modded properly when I bought it and I trusted the guy set it up right. Chalk it up as a 3 year learning project. I still have it and it will be running soon. I also have 130k on our 2000 Echo and you can't hear it idle.

The only thing you need to worry about is rust. Clean it weekly (underside too) and attend to any rock chips immediately
2008 Yaris

Last edited by rezzle; 07-26-2003 at 06:25 PM.
rezzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View SpecialT's Photo Gallery
I had a '90 with 250,000kms on it, gave it to a friend. He still drives it! Toyotas are pretty hard to kill. It'll be around for a while, just take care of it.
SpecialT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Archived Corolla threads