Toyota Nation Forum banner

New here gt to gts swap wiring harness

7K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  bgravit 
#1 ·
Hi so I'm new to this forum and I have a problem with my cars electric system it's a auto gts engine with a 5 speed gt manual tranny I don't know if I should use the wiring harness from the gt and get a conector for the lift or use the gts harness and disconnect the auto trans plugs. And I have to get a ecu from a manual gts right?

#6 ·
Off the top of my head you need

2ZZ harness (from manual tranny car)
2ZZ 6-speed manual ECU
Throttle cable from cruise box to throttle body
2ZZ exhaust complete
2ZZ flywheel
2ZZ air box complete with snorkel
Instrument cluster
Engine mount RH side
2ZZ/C60 transmission (optional)
Hose to brake booster

The ECU needs to match the engine harness year(s), in your case 2000-2001, 2002 had a different knock sensor. 2003+ is drive by wire. If the ECU you get comes from a car with ABS and your doesn't have it the ABS light will always be on, you can simply remove the lamp.

#10 ·
For my swap I found this manual to be quite helpful. 2000 Toyota Celica Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual
Of course you need to get the right year manual for the year swap you want to do. In my case it was a 2000 GT 5 speed manual car that I installed a Japanese 2ZZGE engine and 6 speed manual into. After spending hours learning and studying the manual and writing out my own wiring diagrams, I was able to wire up my Japanese 2ZZGE engine wiring harness to meet US Specs (The Japanese do not have the diagnostic port, a couple of the EVAP circuits). I also had to buy a 2000 GTS manual transmission computer from Monkey Wrench Racing. After inspecting my work several times and making sure I had everything where it needed to be, I then connected up the battery and she lit off perfect. :) Only have a re-occurring P0440 and P0446 EVAP Error which may be a bad vacuum line or valve. Have not had time to trouble shoot this, but the car runs great. This book also has the wiring diagrams for an automatic which kind of threw me at first until I figured out the circuits were automatic only. If you are doing throttle by wire you will of course need a newer book. Hope this helps :)

#11 ·
Thank you bgravit. I have a new problem I finished the swap it started and runs great but when I took it out for a test drive some thing went wrong in the transmission it started gushing all the tranny oil out near where the engine and tranny are joined and when I drained the last .5 liter it had metAl chunks roughly 2mm in size I don't know what the problem is please help ps I am using a 2zzge ecu

#14 · (Edited)
EEEK... Tranny fluid gushing out is not good. :( Have not worked on a front wheel drive automatic, but have rebuilt a couple of Ford RWD transmissions (C-4 & A4LD). If they are roughly the same you probably lost the Torque Converter seal, and directly behind that (inside the trans) is the gear driven pump. I would say that the fragments may have come from anything inside the trans and you are looking at a compete tear down and rebuild. I know you have to be real careful when installing the torque converter onto the trans and then careful when attaching the trans to the engine. Sometimes the torque converter will work its way loose and if they do not go together easy, never force it, because something is wrong. Sorry about your transmission.

#17 ·
OK... Sorry about that. Now that I got the facts straight. Whether it is a Automatic or a Manual, if you are loosing gear oil or transmission fluid from within the bell housing you have a issue. There is still a seal in there. Difference for a manual is you have to replace the seal from inside the transmission. There should be a input shaft bearing near that seal. If this is the area that is leaking you will need to check the input shaft, bearing and seal for wear / damage. Do you know the history of the transmission you are using? If it was abused you might be better off finding another transmission.

#19 ·
you do NOT need an E153 setup. that transmission is only if you are making serious HP on a boosted engine. It sounds like something inside the transmission failed and it needs to be replaced. look in junkyards or on NC.org. 6 speeds in good share are going for about 1000 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.