Toyota Nation Forum banner

Brake problem 1976 Celica gt 2000

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  stepho 
#1 ·
I have a 1976 Celica and I am troubleshooting to try and find the problem with my brakes. I was driving my car 3 weeks ago and my caliper bolt on my driver side fell out on me. After getting a new bolt, there is no pressure with my brake pedal. I still have all my brake fluid and my brake pads are still good. Before I lost the caliper bolt I had more pressure from the brake pedal. Also the electro sensor, says VAC. BOOSTER. The light is solid and it didnt do that before. It would only come on periodically.

If anyone could help I would really appriciate it. Thanks!

#3 ·
What I mean by having no pressure on the brakes. When I press the brake pedal, the brakes will go to the ground have no resistance or pressure. The only way I am able to stop is by taking advantage of the fact that I have a standard vehicle to break.

#6 ·
So do you think the missing bolt has anything to do with your brakes going out? If you pump the brake pedal do you get any reaction/pressure at all? Worse comes to worse you can still buy a master cylinder for your car or a rebuild kit.

#8 ·
Did you knock a hose or rubber seal loose when replacing the caliper bolt? Even one failed caliper might cause a loose brake feeling.

#9 ·
The VAC BOOSTER light means there is no vacuum in the brake booster.
Either you knocked the plug out, knocked the vacuum line off of the diaphragm is leaking.

Check all hydraulic lines are tight and the hoses have not perished.
Check all vacuum lines are tight and the hoses have not perished.
Check all brake electric wires are connected (brake wear sensors on pads, fluid level sensor on master cylinder, vacuum sensor on booster).
Check if front pads are worn.
Check if back drums are worn or adjusted badly (I might have to describe this in more detail if everything is proving ok).
If the back drums are adjusted badly then it can give similar symptoms to what you described.
The Haynes Celia manual for the early years covers all of this well - look on Ebay.

You should bleed the brakes as a matter of course.
It's cheap and easy (with a friend helping).
Search the internet for many, many guides on how to do it.

Even with the vacuum booster failing, the brakes should still stop the car but just require a lot hard pushing with your foot.

If a bolt fell off, then I suspect your brakes have not been serviced in a long, long time.
Pads, shoes, hoses, master cylinder, vacuum booster diaphragm are all suspect and ready to kill you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.