Toyota Nation Forum banner

92 celica GT fuel pump won't run

30K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  aero92 
#1 ·
Help!
I was driving my 92 Celica to the gas station and all of a sudden the engine stopped. I thought it was an empty tank so I pushed the car to the gas pump and put in 20 bucks.
Tried to start the car again and it still wouldn't run. So i had to push my car 4 blocks to get home.
I have the 5SFE 2.2 Engine, found that the fuel pump does not activate when I turn ignition on.
Fuses are OK. Pump is OK, jumpered it and works fine.
Placed test connector at B+ and Fp and opened the switch, pump doesn't activate
Checked ECU, jumpered terminals TE1 and E1, engine icon blinks nonstop.
based on this, is my ECU fried?
Or do I need to replace a relay?
Someone said I should replace the ignition chip on the distributor.
I appreciate the input, this problem is a true test to my skill.

#2 ·
When you bridge Fp and B terminals, turn ignition switch on. If pump now works, try to start the engine. If it starts, remove jumper. If engne will keep running, then the fuel line was empty prior to fill-up or check circuit opening relay located near ECU. If engine will slow down and then die, the fuel pump switch inside air flow meter is not working.For more info., refer to Autoshop 101.com technical articles by K.Sullivan, Fuel delivery

#3 ·
Tried to start it as per your advise in the first statement. Fuel pump didn't activate.
I'm currently tearing apart the radio panel to try and get to the ECU and thus circuit opening relay.
On my 92 the Air flow meter is not on the air filter.
Is it on the throttle body?
I think I can energize the pump and to the test.
Will try and inform later.
Thanks for the help!!!

#5 ·
how about the efi fuse? its on the driverside front fender in the fuse box. have someone turn the swithch on whil you lay your hand on it, if it clicks, your good, if not, bad fush. also, lay under the car, and put your ear on the tank, have someone turn the switch on, if the pump kicks on, your fine. hope this helps.

#7 ·
Finally found the ECU, when I try to start the engine, circuit opening relay kicks in, as soon as I release the switch it stays on for a couple of seconds and switches off.
So I said my problem is not here. ECU seems to be signaling everything properly.
Engine relay stays on when I open the switch. EFI relay stays on too
So I finally went to the fuel pump fuse that's on the passenger fender relay center (fuses on driver's side kickpanel and main Relay center are OK).
There's no power, put a test lamp to see if it would light when I opened the switch, nothing.
I see two wires that I assume one goes to the fuel pump, another goes to a relay.
Do I have an open power wire?
Or is my ECU damaged?
I appreciate the help in trying to solve this monster of a problem. I will study the links tonight. Thanks to all.

#8 ·
Lastnight I found on the other forum that on the Passenger side inner kickpanel there is a relay that controls the fuel pump. It also described a method on how to bridge connections to make the pump run directly.
If I find it will inform test result.
Thanks DoctorJ!!

#9 ·
Finally made the pump work, actually I can hardly hear it.
So my problem is not the pump relay.
Now I placed a screwdriver on the spark plug, no firing, took out the distributor, rotor spins, so I said, it's not the drivebelt.
Started measuring the ignition coil and the secondary circuit is supposed to measure 5 to 10 ohms from Ground to + side. It doesn't.
So now I'm up for new ignition coil for my 92 5FSFE
Will inform if this cures my issue.
Thanks!!!!

#10 ·
Took out the ignition Coil and replaced it.
Had to remove distributor to access 4 coil screws
Unfortunatelly I had to break the rubber gasket that goes around distributor base, then, hold it in place with Elmer's Glue.
Reseated distributor and connected everything up again.
Car started on the first try. Took it out for a momentary 110 MPH spin on a long stretch of road. everything's fine now.
Thanks to all who made my dream car live again!!!!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.