1989 Celica ST - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Celica Forum Forum for all Toyota Celica discussion! Including the ST16x/18x/20x, and ZZT230/231.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1989 Celica ST

Hello!

I am very pleased to be a new toyota owner.

I bought a 1989 Celica ST today for $550. all it needs is a cv shaft repair and some flex piping. the car runs well so far (only 1 day), but just any help would be great!

Was this a good buy? the bodys in cool shape, some rust and a hole in the trunk area, but nothing too drastic. So far i like the car a lot.

The guy claims he only used premium gas, is it a problem if i slowly ween it to regular? I have been told no, but he says to only use premium.

The speedometer doesnt really work, hows the best way to get it out?

Also how can I remove the radio in it easily?

Thanks and i look forward to speaking with u all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to TN!

That car was designed to run on regular (87 octane) fuel. The speedometer problem might be a broken speedometer cable. It runs from the firewall to the transmission. If the rust isn't very bad, I'd say its a good buy. Good Luck!

Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph
#3 Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

(Thread Starter)
awesome thanks for the quick response.

I was driving a 98 hyundai elantra and this old ass celica runs so much smoother! its crazy

Do you know of any places to get a speedometer cable and other 89 celica items?

Thanks again!
#4 Old 08-21-2007, 09:24 PM
New TN User

I am new also and just got a 88 celica st so im right there with you.
#5 Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbajosh
awesome thanks for the quick response.

I was driving a 98 hyundai elantra and this old ass celica runs so much smoother! its crazy

Do you know of any places to get a speedometer cable and other 89 celica items?

Thanks again!
I know where I live there are 4th gen celicas at the junk yard all the time. We have a you-pull-it junk yard here and I just go pull what I need. It's insanely cheap.

#6 Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

(Thread Starter)
thanks again! i will check on sat my day off. also how do i get to the speedo cable? i took out the 4 cluster screws but nothing budges!
#7 Old 08-24-2007, 01:25 AM
Banned

(Thread Starter)
I have a problem ( i think) with this 89 st...

When I bought the car,the owner just did an oil change. I was worried he did it to cover something up. The oil was clean(obviously) both times before the test drive and after someone else drove it.

Now when i check the oil the dipstick seems kind of dry with some dark spots.

The car was sitting for 5 years. It started up first try and engine runs great.

I am very worried because my last car ran fine and just started burning oil.

Any ideas? I am bringing it to the mechanic tomorrow morning for inspection, but would like some prior advice!

I may just be paranoid, but I really like this car and its only been a few days!!!
#8 Old 08-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Official TN Member

Check your engine bay for leaks. Look where you park your car and see if there are oil spots on the ground. If you can't find any leaks, try doing a compression test. It's pretty simple to do, just pick up a compression tester from your auto parts store. Take out your sprak plugs, screw the compression tester into the spark plug hole and try to crank the car for about 10 seconds (probably won't even need to crank that long). Then check the compression tester (it has a gauge that shows how many PSI compression that cylinder is making). Each cylinder should have similar compression (within 0-15psi of eachother).

Last edited by Vip09; 08-24-2007 at 01:33 AM.
#9 Old 08-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Banned

(Thread Starter)
thanks
#10 Old 08-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Box driving

Quote:
Hello!

I am very pleased to be a new toyota owner.

I bought a 1989 Celica ST today for $550. all it needs is a cv shaft repair and some flex piping. the car runs well so far (only 1 day), but just any help would be great!

Was this a good buy? the bodys in cool shape, some rust and a hole in the trunk area, but nothing too drastic. So far i like the car a lot.

The guy claims he only used premium gas, is it a problem if i slowly ween it to regular? I have been told no, but he says to only use premium.

The speedometer doesnt really work, hows the best way to get it out?

Also how can I remove the radio in it easily?

Thanks and i look forward to speaking with u all!
Not a bad buy at all. My first automobile was an 87 st. I drove it until it had like 467,xxx miles. haha. regular gas is fine for this application. The speedometer problem could be multiple things. Speedometer head, speedometer cable, or the gear that goes into the transmission and connects to the cable. There is a very outside chance that it could be the ECU but thats doubtful. To remove these things and reinstall I would suggest a Haynes manual, you can get one at Autozone for $15. There are just alot of steps to taking the interior panels out. Do not be intimidated by this, the book has lots of pictures (made for the slow, like me )

Just ask if you need anything else!
#11 Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Box driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip09
Check your engine bay for leaks. Look where you park your car and see if there are oil spots on the ground. If you can't find any leaks, try doing a compression test. It's pretty simple to do, just pick up a compression tester from your auto parts store. Take out your sprak plugs, screw the compression tester into the spark plug hole and try to crank the car for about 10 seconds (probably won't even need to crank that long). Then check the compression tester (it has a gauge that shows how many PSI compression that cylinder is making). Each cylinder should have similar compression (within 0-15psi of eachother).
Vip09 is right. Valve cover gaskets are notorious for leaking on this engine. As well as oil pan gaskets. You may have to take your car in to have it pressure washed on the underbody. This may make it easier to spot. The compression test is a good idea too, for it will show you more than likely, whether you have too much oil blowing by the pistons.
#12 Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Banned

(Thread Starter)
You guys are all so great!

I brought it to the mechanic and he did the engine pipe now the car is SILENT! I didnt know i started it and am not joking. It's so awesome.

I need 2 axels (300$)
and he said it has minor leaks.

How do the leaks get fixed? won't it be so expensive im better off just keeping an eye on the fluids?

the engine pipe was 150 installed and car was 550 so far im at 700 after axels 1grand.

After all the junk i test drove for 900+ i am still very pleased. I found cars for 1g that needed hundreds of dollars of work!

I am going to autozone tomorrow to get the compression tester and haynes manual!

Thanks so much everyone!
#13 Old 08-25-2007, 03:26 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
You guys are all so great!

I brought it to the mechanic and he did the engine pipe now the car is SILENT! I didnt know i started it and am not joking. It's so awesome.

I need 2 axels (300$)
and he said it has minor leaks.

How do the leaks get fixed? won't it be so expensive im better off just keeping an eye on the fluids?

the engine pipe was 150 installed and car was 550 so far im at 700 after axels 1grand.

After all the junk i test drove for 900+ i am still very pleased. I found cars for 1g that needed hundreds of dollars of work!

I am going to autozone tomorrow to get the compression tester and haynes manual!

Thanks so much everyone!
To fix the leaks, you need to find out where they are coming from. It's probably just a worn out gasket. Just find out which ones need replacing and refer to the Haynes manual for replacing it. You can pick up pretty much any gasket you need from your local auto parts store. If you want the best, get them from the Toyota dealership. It will be more expensive from the dealership.

#14 Old 08-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Got both front axels done and I must say for such an old car its sick

I hear some noise which i am being told is struts. My mechanic didnt mention it so i am not concerned.

I am going to start some body work (my first try ever) and will post pix of this old monster!

Thanks for the inspiration.
#15 Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

(Thread Starter)
now i am hearing weird noises when i turn the wheel checked PS fluid and am not sure if it needs to be refilled. there is fluid in there, but am at a loss to know if its the whole system or just fluid or suspension!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Celica Forum