20R / 76 Celica / Performance upgrade: Distributor and Igniton Coil - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Celica Forum Forum for all Toyota Celica discussion! Including the ST16x/18x/20x, and ZZT230/231.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-18-2008, 09:33 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen1 20R / 76 Celica / Performance upgrade: Distributor and Igniton Coil

This is for a 1976 Celica 20R Manual Coupe.

Want to upgrade the distributor with a vacuum advance from a rotatory to an electronic. Need to replace the whole distributor, because I believe the current vacuum advance is not functioning properly. I think the ignition coil needs to be upgraded as well when doing this kind of upgrade, but not sure. Need help in picking a decent brand and specifics on what to order, and where. The ignition coil is what is confusing me, the watts and the ohms for a 20R engine, not to mention the spark plugs gaps can be set bigger...bigger to what?

Will be replacing the Asian stock carburetor to a Weber 32/36, (looking for fuel economy, will be a daily driver). Have heard that the Redline is not so good, but has the fuel economy of a 32/36 but the power of a 38, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Some info on car:
Has passed California smog.

Secondary throttle does not function while driving, so versus getting a reman Asian carb, going to hold out for a Weber 32/36. So as I understand it, the weber still needs a vacuum line to the vacuum advance on the distributor... or does it?

The distributor and ignition coil upgrade should also increase mpg. Is there something else I should be looking at getting with the
distributor and ignition coil?

Has new struts, shocks, brakes, head gasket, spark plugs and wires, heater coil, and over $500 in getting the wiring checked. Although there are still wires not hooked to anything, like to the thermostat sensor. The mechanic is functional to about 90% of getting things done, but then just flounders at the last 10%. Such as putting in new struts but then he puts the 30 year old rubber cracked mounts back on. He is putting the new mounts on as we speak, plus changing the transmission and U joint seals.

What is truly frustrating, is that after spending close to $2,000 in repairs, it was I who figured out the secondary throttle was not working. And it was I who, figured out how to temporarily fix this by making a spare spring grab the 2nd throttle as the main throttle was activating.

Going to put off, for now, a new cam, exhaust header, cat, pipes, muffler and such. Will figure out that cost versus an engine upgrade then decide. Remember, this will be a daily driver, but with some pep is all I need. Plus it's a California car.

Thanks in advance

Here are some pics: Yes that's a 77 20R carb on a 76 20R engine. It was also I who also figured out the vacuum lines for the EGR and AAP were wrongly hocked up.

Barry

Last edited by Grimly64; 05-19-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 PM
bilt not bot

thought i would bump this and see if your still around...

the ignition from a 78-81 celica is practically bolt in, just 3 wires to figure out

that would be the easiest way

search my posts on this website i know i posted a write up in someone elses thread, i think it was a truck. but i swapped my 75 hilux with a 20r to electronic ignition in about 30min with oem parts
#3 Old 06-11-2008, 09:34 AM
RA28 + MX73

I think he wants to replace the entire distributor with pure electronics, no spinning bits at all.
I don't know of any easy swaps for that.
To do it you would need an aftermarket computer hooked up to a crank angle sensor.

- Stepho
#4 Old 06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Official TN Member

Ahhh my favorite model Celica.

George
2007 Corolla S
USAF 1984-2005

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Celica Forum