Toyota Nation Forum banner

89 celica st motor swap/conversion

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  silentworks 
#1 ·
i have a 89 celica st with that i beieve is the 3sfe engine and blew it.
I want to put a new engine in it and my friend who has a 88 gts said to put the same engine he has in it. I was wondering if anyone knows what it is, were to find one and if it will fit.
Also is there a better motor to put in? i dont want to spend a whole lot, but i want a nice one and a fairly quick one.
any help with this will help.

#2 · (Edited)
Your friend has the marvelous 3SGE in his 88GTS. It's quick and fairly inexpensive with 135 hp vs 115 for the 3SFE. Tough to find good used USDM 3SGE's but you'll have better luck with JDM engine importers. There you can get a low mileage JDM 3SGE for anywhere from $600-$800. Be advised the JDM motors don't have the EGR, so you'll have to make the modification if you have smog testing in your area. You'll also need the 3SGE ECU, wiring harness and other minor related parts.

Your easiest option is just to replace the 3SFE.

3SGTE is another option for 190-225 hp (depending on generation) but that's more expensive.

#3 ·
Here's another thought: you could just look for an 86-89 GTS instead. It's an upgrade from the ST and can be had for relatively low cost compared to the time, labour and fuss required for the engine swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.