Toyota Nation Forum banner

74 celica

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  toyotawarrior 
#1 ·
what up guys, i have a 74 celica gt(my baby), this is the baby i tinker with, is so much fun to drive, is rear wheel drive, small and light, i blew the 18r-c that came with it after istalling a set of 45webers, then came a 3t-c from a 80 corolla(rod thru the block) i was racing a civic(the guy ask if the rust bucket move) jajajja, i was in third gear doing like 85 and the block didnt took the 9,000 this time. then came a 22r(well a hibrid 20rhead/22rblock) torque was wonderfull, two black strips at every light, supermarket, drive-thru u name it , now is time for a change, im looking at a 3sge all motor set-up, or a 3sgte(he engine out of mi 90 gts), what should i do?, would my chassis hold a turbo engine? with the 22r i already have whellie bars, give me ur opinion guys. thanks:lol:

#4 · (Edited)
depending on how much horsepower you want the 3s-ge might work. you'd need a IS200 transmission , but that means 6 gears :) , but there isn't that much aftermarket for it . you could always turbo the 3s-ge but you'd have to drop new pistons in to replace the 11.5's already in there. you could get a GenIII 3s-gte with 245hp but you'll have the problems the fact that it was horizontally opposed . meh

IS200 3S-GE - 210hp @ 7600 & 159lb/ft @ 6400 -11.5:1 c/r
Gen III 3S-GTE - 245hp @ 6000 & 225lb/ft @ 4000 -8.5:1 c/r

i think the GTE rev limiter is at 7000-7200 and the GE's is at 8200. but you'll probably have to go standalone to get either one to work so you can kill the rev limiter in the process ;)

*much love for the first gen's i was going to buy one as my first car but it had a huge engine fire a coupole days before i could test drive it*

#5 ·
i would used the same trans i have on the car at this time, it fits a 18r and a 22r with a coustom bellhousing, i comes in a kit from toysport, oil pan, pick up, bellhousing, mount, etc, i love my old toyotas, i have the 74 celica, a 69 corona, a 79 corolla wagon, they are just beautiful, u guys know how with toyotas u have to work hard to dial the nubers, there is almost no aftermarket, when u have a honda is diferent, they have it easy, with a phone and money the car is done, in our case we have to work coustomize, cut, weld, bend and imagine the parts, be proud of having a toyota.

#6 ·
You should got with an 18RG instead dude. It is the same block as the 18RC but the head is much greater. DOHC, better ports, higher comp and the intake system from the factory is sidedraft carbs. It i a great motor to have and it drops right in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.