AC Light flashing (ST162) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Celica Forum Forum for all Toyota Celica discussion! Including the ST16x/18x/20x, and ZZT230/231.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-06-2010, 03:12 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
4th Generation AC Light flashing (ST162)

Hi guys,
I have an 86 celica st162 andhave been having trouble wit the AC cutting out and the AC light flashing.

Ive read this was a problem for a lot of 2003 camrys and the fix was to replace the AC magnetic clutch relay.

The symptoms im having are the same, but the part number they describe for the relay is completely different (im guessing because of the much later model)

Im hoping that the problem is the same on my car as it seems a pretty easy fix.

I have checked out the relay i have installed in the AC magnetic clutch relay slot, and it is a Dimmer relay (Part number 85926-30020) which the internet tells me is for headlamps.
Im not sure if this is the wrong relay and that is what is causing my problems or if its right and i just need a new one.

Trying to work out what the correct relay part is so i can try replacing it. If anyone knows anything about what the part number should be or knows what relay they have in their car it would be an awesome help.

Cheers,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't have an answer for a part number for you, but the parts counter at a Toyota dealership would. Or, you can call 1stToyotaParts.com (877-810-7067), which is on the west coast, Monday - Friday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM or Saturday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM pacific time. They have always been very helpful to me giving me the part numbers and checking on availability of parts through Toyota. They also sell parts at wholesale prices, not retail, so you get a better deal from them than at your local dealership.

When I put your part number in the 1stToyotaParts.com website, it has a number of applications for this relay, one of which is a cooler relay on 1986-1989 models, relay R (but it doesn't say which Toyota model). When I look up your specific year & model, it says 2 relays are used, this particular part number (relay R) and another relay, called relay G. So if I were to "guess", I would think you have the right relay for the right application in your Celica. It is a pricey relay ($52.64 retail, $37.98 thru 1stToyotaParts.com).

If the function schematic is printed on your old relay, why don't you short circuit the 2 connectors in the relay block that would provide power to the AC compressor clutch, and see if you light stays on steady and your AC system works as it should (but don't keep it there too long, because the compressor will not shut off with you short circuiting it). If this works, you know you have a defective relay, or you have a signal wiring problem that is used to activate the relay. But at least you can narrow it down.
#3 Old 02-06-2010, 07:33 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey man,
cheers for the quick response. Bit hard for me to call them up from Australia but did check out the site and that makes me pretty confident that it'd the right relay.

I might try the short circuit trick and see how it goes. Im sure I'll be able to find the part for a reasonable price if I need one. (I think the other possble problem is a stretched belt and I so don't want it to be that)

Knowing my luck, I wont even need the AC by the time I fix the problem.

Thanks again,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Celica Forum