Car dies while driving Help! (Celica) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Celica Forum Forum for all Toyota Celica discussion! Including the ST16x/18x/20x, and ZZT230/231.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-06-2012, 06:02 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Car dies while driving Help! (Celica)

Hello every one I have a 90 toyota celica st. I was driving it the other day and it died on me while driving... twice! The second time was going down a steep hill and it was freaken scary for a minute as the breaks were not working, thank god that the car started again and I was able to stop! Anyway I know enough about cars that once your car starts it should not die. Could it be the alternator? It seems to start up just fine. I did notice though that when the car died on me both times I was taking a pretty sharp right turn. And when it died every thing blinked twice then out went everything. Im sure that it is a code for something but I do not have the owners manual as I was not the original owner. I just started it up today again and it makes a weird clicking noise before I even turn the key. I can get more specific but I would like to hear your guys first thoughts about the problem.

Thanks so much I really do appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 PM
TN Pussy Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
if your alternator wasn't working properly, you would get a battery warning light on your dash

it sounds like it's possible that you may have a loose cable to the battery, be it positive or negative. Or possibly something wrong with a main relay or other. The blinking before it dies points towards an electrical problem. Mechanical or sensor problems will kill the motor, but everything else would stay on.

also, you've posted in the wrong section, so I will move this thread to the celi section

HaHa

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
#3 Old 11-09-2012, 12:08 AM
New TN User

Eye8 is right, check out your battery cables to make sure they are tight and making good contact. Rule that out first. Then turn to your battery/alternator since these are very easy to test and you're suspecting them.

If you can, bring the battery into a store to have it tested, along with your alternator - the light doesn't always come on when there's an issue with it. If you can't do either, or just want to diagnose ASAP, start with the alternator.

If you can't bench test the alternator then test it this way:
- Start your car
- Unplug the negative battery terminal
- If the car stays on, the alternator is good. If it turns off, your alternator needs replacing and, most likely, your battery does too.
- Reconnect the negative terminal
- Test your battery, regardless of the outcome

You stated there's a clicking sound. I'm assuming this is after turning the key. This can be from your battery or starter.

Bad starts and turning off while driving points to your alternator my friend. Of course, can be a million other things but just starting with basics.

Funny you're having this issue on right turns (maybe just a coincidence), but I had a 91 GT-S that blew my cluster fuse on a sharp fast right turn once!
#4 Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had a 90 Celica ST, and have a 91 Celica ST. Is yours a manual or automatic?

Your brakes do work, even when the engine shuts down. Just recognize with power brakes, you simply loose the vacuum assist, so you have to put more pressure on the brake pedal, but the brakes are there for you - they don't fail if the engine shuts down.
#5 Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
New TN User

Something to add regarding testing the alternator. Sometimes the alternator will work while cold but fail once it warms up. So when you're having it tested have them check it multiple times enough to warm it up.

I had something like that with a Ford pickup. The guy was having a heck of a time getting his $150 alternator warrantied out because it passed when cold but failed when it warmed up.

If that doesn't fix it, then check the four basics: spark, fuel, air, pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Celica Forum