Toyota Nation Forum banner

1992 Cilica will not start

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  marcuslogsdon 
#1 ·
I bought this car 2 months ago and it was having some kind of problem starting. As I turned the key it would make a "click" sound but would not start. After 10 - 15 times turning the key it would start. Then one day it quit making the "click" sound and now it will not start at all, that is with me turning the key. I can start it by rolling it down my slopped drive way with no problem. My cousin told me to remove the stater and replace the brass terminal where the cable coming from the battery is connected, so I did. It still will not start. I checked the small connector on the starter for 12v while pressing on the clutch, while turning the key and without doing anything and there is no voltage. There is also no 12v on the prongs where my starter relay goes (passenger side fuse box).

Any Ideas.

TIA
Gilbert

#3 ·
I agree....the click sound you hear is the solenoid that engages the starter motor and dosnt require much power, but there is insuficient power to crank the engine, also remember that when you buy a new battery to charge it up over night cause if the battery has been sat in the shop for a while it will have lost some of its charge and you dont want to warp the plates in a brand new battery by over stressing it.

#5 ·
Just had that plm today. what happened was that my battery was leaking and got onto the wireharness or wires to the starter. So when i washed the car.. it melted the harness or wires not sure. the guy just cleaned up the wires to the battery posts, and i guess he fixed some wires. that solved it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.