Toyota Nation Forum banner

Code P0446 P0441 P0440 and VSC off

40K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ArthurBaker 
#1 ·
I'm getting these codes on my 2001 Avalon:

P0440 = Evaporative Emission System
P0441 = Evap Emis Sys Incorrect Purge Flow
P0446 = Evap Emis Sys Vent Control Circuit

How do these codes relate to the VSC light staying ON?

#2 · (Edited)
Could be as simple as a faulty gas cap gasket. Or a problem with the charcoal canister or VSV in the EVAP control system. Check gas cap issue first, then look for leaking vacuum hoses in this system. The canister is expensive if purchased from Toyota, might look for used parts. Don't overfill the gas tank at fillup.

The VSC light could be a result of the other trouble codes. Clear the other codes first and this issue may also go away (pretty common). FYI, the ECM is programmed to turn the VSC system off it thinks the engineor or trans has a problem in order to minimize power loads on the engine.

A Google search of all 3 codes at once will result in many interesting hits.

#10 · (Edited)
I live with my VSC on per P0441. I passed smog by driving only 10 or so miles after OBDII reset.

I gave up fix after gas cap, cannister replacement and smoging. Hoses look good and there are solanoids on the firewall that would be next.

For P0441 the computer will not throw the code and illuminate the check engine light until it has done an evap test and failed it twice. It will not do an evap test unless there is between 3/4 and 1/4 full gas tank, along with some other conditions. Until it does the test the check engine light will stay off.

#6 ·
I FINALLY got around to check the VSV's.

All of them under the hood check out per the shop manual.

I'l have to check the one on the Canister next.

#7 ·
My 97 has P0446. Had it diagnosed. One of 2 sensors poss both. Ehe VSV for evap and VSV for VPS which is on canister. Can I get these sensors without the canister? I'm selling the car to move abroad. Help is appreciated.

#8 ·
If I order a new Charcol Canister Assy, will it come with a new VSV?

I don't want to end up with an extra VSV.

#9 ·
The VSV for Pressure Switching Valve was toast. I'll be just replacing this part and let you all know if the codes clear.

#11 ·
Forgot to get back to you all. The original soloniod was completely rusted. The new one fixed the problem. It's a lot cheaper to replace the faulty valve than the entire canister assy.

#12 ·
which one did you replace?

Thanks for the follow up. My car just started doing this.

Did you change the one under the car? How hard was it to get to and replace? How expensive were the parts? Need anything in addition to the valve? Maybe hoses or clamps?

Thanks

Reactions: richelle2991
#13 ·
Thanks for the follow up. My car just started doing this.

Did you change the one under the car? How hard was it to get to and replace? How expensive were the parts? Need anything in addition to the valve? Maybe hoses or clamps?

Thanks
I changed the one under the car. It's mounted near the evap. canister (big black box) thats right next to the gas tank. It's very easy to get to, no need to take the evap canister out. Mine was so rusty, that the bracket snapped of when I tried to take it off. I ened you using a tie wrap to hold the new one in place. It's still working today. You should be able to use the existing hoses and clamps.

Your best beat is to take the part out, and bring the part to a parts counter to get the replacment.

When you take the valve out, you will see how bad these rust out. The price was under $30 from Toyota. Toyota parts counters are all over the place with pricing. What cost $3 at one counter can cost you $9 the next town over. I see this everytime I need an OEM Toyota part.

#14 ·
Had a P0440 that would come back every time I cleared it, on a 01 Avalon. Sent direct battery power to the two VSV's under the hood and the one VSV under the car at the back, to make sure they were clicking and not stuck. I must have had one that was sticking, because the code is now gone for good

#15 ·
Supports ASE Certification Page 1 of 5EG013-03

Title:
M.I.L. ON" DTC P0440, P0441 OR P0446
Models:
’00 – ’03 Avalon, Camry & Solara,
’01 – ’03 Sienna

Technical Service
BULLETIN
September 29, 2003

TSB REVISION NOTICE:
December 5, 2003: The Parts Information and Warranty Information tables have
been changed.
October 16, 2003: The Parts Information table has been changed.
The previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.
Under certain driving conditions, some 2000–2003 model year Avalon, Camry (NAP only)
and Solara vehicles, and some 2001–2003 model year Sienna vehicles may exhibit a
M.I.L. “ON” with DTC(s) P0440, P0441 and/or P0446 stored due to an inoperative
Canister Closed Valve Vacuum Switching Valve (CCV VSV). The CCV assembly process
has been changed to correct this condition.
2000 – 2003 model year Avalon and Camry (NAP only) vehicles produced BEFORE
the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
2001 – 2003 model year Sienna vehicles.
2000 – 2003 model year Solara vehicles.

MODEL ENGINE PLANT PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
Avalon 6 Cylinder TMMK 4T1BF28B*3U314261

4 Cylinder

TMMK Line 1 4T1BE3#K*3U177289

Camry

4 Cylinder TMMK Line 2 4T1BE3#K*3U697270

Camry

6 Cylinder

TMMK Line 1 4T1BF3#K*3U045051
6 Cylinder TMMK Line 2 4T1BF3#K*3U551469

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.