7mgte head problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Supra Forum Forum for all Toyota Supra generations.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By bgrieger
  • 1 Post By DannoXYZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-15-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
7mgte head problem

hello im currently attempting a repair on the 7mgte and im wanting to know how to put a stud in the block i believe it has a minor strip in the threads. because of this i cannot get a torque and the stud keeps spining
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 PM
one turbo is one too few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Not being there, I can only assume you are trying to replace them one at a time with the head still on? I recall the arp had a hex he'd on the top of the studs so you could use an Allen wrench to set them in the block, then install the nut. It might be you don't have the stud all the way in, but you should still be able to tighten it, unless you only just caught one thread and ripped it up.

If it's only a thread or two, you could use a bottoming tap to fix it carefully. If you stripped it too deep to get it fixed that way, the best possible repair would be to find a step thread stud with the block end one step larger so the head side remains the same size, and you can drill and tap the block for the larger one. Finding that stud may be the harder thing to do.
freakingmartin likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bgrieger For This Useful Post:
freakingmartin (06-18-2017)
post #3 of 4 Old 06-16-2017, 01:31 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Did you bottom out the stud and strip threads in block? Remove stud, clean threads and see if you can spin it down to proper depth by hand. Verify that you can spin it down another 1/2 turn and come back out and that it doesn't just spin in place. If it does, you need to remove everything and repair that hole. If it's OK, continue...

I think that model came with head-bolts? Replacing with studs is a good idea as it will prevent future headgasket issues. However, all studs need a locking compound and proper installation for optimum performance.

1. After getting proper depth, remove stud and wrap masking tape around exposed end. Set location of tape so it will go down into head hole about 3mm. Wrap enough layers of tape so that it completely fills hole. This will ensure that stud is perfectly centered in hole when you install it.

2. Apply 6-9 drops Loctite 649, or Permatex 565 or Permatex 592 on threads of stud going into block

3. Hand thread stud into block down to proper depth, making sure masking-tape centers the top end

4. Let thread-locking compound set for a couple hours, then carefully remove tape by pulling upwards into spiral

5. Clean surface of head around stud with acetone, clean washers and nuts

6. Install washer, making sure mating surface with head is completely dry

7. Carefully apply a couple drops of ARP Ultra-torque assembly lube to stud threads (or machine oil)

8. Apply ARP Ultra-torque or machine-oil to bottom of head nuts

9. Carefully install nuts and tighten in proper sequence. Use revised higher torque settings issued in 7M-gte tech-bulletin.

Failure to follow above procedure will result in stripped block threads, broken studs and/or blown head-gaskets!!! Believe me, I've blown plenty of head-gaskets on turbo cars. Even replaced head-gaskets Saturday night in parking lot of Willow Springs Raceway in order to get back into races on Sunday!
freakingmartin likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DannoXYZ For This Useful Post:
freakingmartin (06-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Any more news on this? How did things work out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Supra Forum