Toyota Nation Forum banner

1.5jz-gte?

21K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  bgrieger 
#1 ·
I was looking up the 2jz on wikipedia and it also had this on the 1jz page:

1.5JZ-GTE
The 1.5JZ is created by combining a 1JZ with a 2JZ bottom end. the 2JZ bottom end will simply bolt on.

1JZ = 2.5L Inline 6 (86.0mm bore x 71.5mm stroke)
2JZ = 3.0L Inline 6 (86.0mm bore x 86.0mm stroke)
Using a 2JZ bottom end with the 1JZ everything else allows you an extra 500cc of displacement.

Reasons for this conversion is a matter of opinion and discussion, some claim a 1JZ head flows better than a 2JZ, however this is unfounded as of yet. The most likely reason would be if the owner of a worked 1JZ motor blew the bottom end and were to replace it with the 2JZ bottom to gain 500cc of displacement, as the heads are intercompatible.

Is that true? I know some engines are compatible with other. on the Tercel, you can take the 1.3L turbo 4e-fte and swap on the 5e-fe/fhe heads onto it and have yourself a 1.5L turbo engine.

I know a lot about the Tercels...but i'm trying to learn as much as possible about the Supra. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm seems possible. Also seems like Toyota likes making heads swapable within a series of motors ie. 2UZ heads can fit on a 1UZ block. I know about the 5E/4E hybrid too... So im guessing the 1JZ head will fit on the 2JZ. Now the question is if it works, will it give reasonable power gains?

#3 ·
The heads are swapable. The big difference between the 2 is the porting. I have herad it the other way around too. You put the 2JZ head on the 1JZ bottom end to boost the availability of aftermarket parts. 2JZ manifolds are easy to find, 1JZ not so much.

#5 ·
hmmm.. thats interesting.

So it would up the flow and the cc's... and like mentioned, it would make it easier to get the manifolds.

Now with smogging...if say I got a 1jz (not legal in Cali), and put the 2jz heads on it, how would they know its not the 1jz?

#6 ·
It's been done. More recent testing confirmed the 1j heads don't flow better, but there are still many people on either side of that fence and I haven't seen a flow bench test on stock heads before. Makes sense the 3L flows more because it has to push more CFM.

The reality of the swap is someone probably did a 1j swap, realized they really wanted the 3L, but didnt' want to go to all the cost of replacing an expensive turbo setup as the manifolds are not interchangable.

#7 ·
Jeeves said:
Actually, someone flow tested the heads, the 2JZ flowed better than the 1JZ. Not by much, but still, better.

So, a 1.5JZ is sort of moot except for bragging rights.
exactly^

-shaeff

#9 ·
they're interchangeable but not 100% bolt on a few mods have to be made.

a guy made a 1.5JZ with the 2jzge block and a 1jz head, then he put the 2jz-ge head on the 1jz block (essentially a 2.5L 2jz-ge), and turboed it (NA-T), he called it a 1.3JZ, or something it's pretty interesting..

#11 ·
2JZ into a MKIII

sbettencourt, you can place 2jz into an MKIII
Here is a link to help:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105024

One of the reason I see that some people go to a 1JZ instead of a 2JZ for their MKIII would be $$$$

I'm in my MKIV project, heading to JDM shops(window shopping) asking prices.
some places prices are :confused:
The average prices I got:
1JZ w/ access. 5sp trany, ect ect : CAD$2100
2JZ w/ access 6sp trany, ect ect : CAD$5900
2JZ w/accesss auto tranny ec ect: CAD$3600

So its up to the owner cheque book.

#12 ·
And what about a 1JZ short block and a 2JZ head?

The short stroke of the 1JZ combined with the good flowing head of the 2JZ should give interesting results at high RPM right?
I believe the combination should be great to build a high-reving Supra engine don't you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.