Toyota Nation Forum banner

87 supra wont start

9K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  heavyearly87t 
#1 · (Edited)
it wont start, a loud click comes from the back of the motor. i tried to jump start it and that doesnt do anything. eventually it will start, its hit or miss if it starts or not. when it does start it starts fine doesnt struggle at all.

not sure if its a battery cable, starter, alarm kill switch, start relay issue... any suggestions? the battery terminals are clean no corrosion, not sure about the starter terminals though..

.n/a, AT.

#2 ·
A loud click? In what location? Does it happen just once?

The alarm kill will cause the ignition to do Nothing at all. A battery cable or starter possibly if it's not getting enough power, 'starter relay' isn't in that location.

#3 ·
yea its a loud click, sounds like its coming from under the back of the motor right in the middle and just once. to me it sound like an electrical arc(the click) not like a metalic click sound. but i could be wrong.

i was wondering though if its not getting enough power, would jumping it still not help? i guess if the connection is bad no matter how much juice i try to send it wont help.

#5 ·
Jeeves said:
Multiple clicks, repeatedly would indicate too little power.

I'd just say check all your connections. In that general area is the starter. Could just be dead :shrug:.

its just One click. its odd when it finally does crank over it doesnt struggle at all fires right up. ill check all the check all the connections though.

#7 ·
supranerd1987 said:
ya mine did the same thing....but after i tighted the battery terminals...she was good to go
the battery terminals are fine, i cleaned them totally, and replaced the connectors as well. im thinking it has to be the connection To the starter. ....i hope its that easy. well i hope i can Get to the starter that easy.

#8 ·
iwannadie said:
the battery terminals are fine, i cleaned them totally, and replaced the connectors as well. im thinking it has to be the connection To the starter. ....i hope its that easy. well i hope i can Get to the starter that easy.
The starter has one of the notorious bolts on it... :-/

#10 · (Edited)
ok i ripped the starter out(dam the upper bolt!! was a breeze once i went and bought some ratcheting wrenchs though).

but its not the starter, it tested just fine(autozone). so put that back in, and looked around the fuse box again and saw something odd. it looks like the previous owner bypassed the ALT fuse with just a wire solderd in place. i tried to buy a fuse for it but noone knows what fuse it should be. on the fuse box lid it says it needs '1.25B' but noone knows what that is, a fuse or relay or what?

but so far thats my only other lead on why it wont start. any other ideas? whats the best way to check the alternator without ripping it off?

oh i forgot to mention, if i turn the key really Slow it will try to start every time(but still takes a few tries to start). if i turn the key normal(quick) it will just click once no start. does that make any sense, or just some odd coincidence?

#13 ·
If it's not the starter then look at the wires going to it.

You will have a hot (+) wire and a set of smaller wires going to a clip under the starter.

The hot wire will corrode inside and reduce your available power. The two other wires could be frayed or cracked.

I have gone through 2 starters in 3 years and even if it tested well on the bench it does not mean it is good. I could get 5 starts outta mine before it would quit. Then tap it and another 5 starts before it quit again.

Replace it with one that has the longest warrante cause you will need it.

I have paid once for the last 3 starters. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.